The Student Room Group

English Language A Level

What is English Language A Level like?? What are the topics etc is it worth taking if I don’t know what I want to do??
I'm in Year 11 atm too (I assume you are) and am definitely taking it. It's not like GCSE - it's more linguistics based, so you'll study how people speak and write and how things like gender and race affect this. If you love English and find things like sociology and biology interesting, I'd say go for it :smile: it also demonstrates to employers that you have great communication and writing skills too
Reply 2
Original post by elizabeth20013
I'm in Year 11 atm too (I assume you are) and am definitely taking it. It's not like GCSE - it's more linguistics based, so you'll study how people speak and write and how things like gender and race affect this. If you love English and find things like sociology and biology interesting, I'd say go for it :smile: it also demonstrates to employers that you have great communication and writing skills too

That’s funny you say that I want to take them two for a Level 😂😂 only thing is I have NO CLUE what I want to do when I’m older I’m just so stuck and confused with it all, I thought taking two facilitating subjects would help but I only like Biology, also I really like English because of my teacher so I think that’s made me like English. Yeah I am in year 11 and I’m predicted 8’s by the government and 7’s by my teacher so I think taking an English would be a good decision as it’s my highest predicted subject :smile:
Reply 3

What other a levels are you hoping to take? Also do you have a rough idea on what you want to do after a levels?
Original post by Beth286
What other a levels are you hoping to take? Also do you have a rough idea on what you want to do after a levels?

Omg don't talk to me about facilitating subjects! I'm in a bit of a crisis with A level subjects tbh, right now I'm thinking English Language, History, French and Politics but I may drop either French or Politics at my college interview, ahh I don't really know! Also I do sociology now and I'd really recommend it, it's a really interesting subject. I think we should go with what we'd enjoy rather than worry about facilitating subjects though, we'll get better grades doing what we like :smile:
I want to go to uni after a levels, I think to do history and then become a teacher. It's my dream to be a writer as I love English and it's always been my best subject but it's not a solid career path. How about you?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Omg don't talk to me about facilitating subjects! I'm in a bit of a crisis with A level subjects tbh, right now I'm thinking English Language, History, French and Politics but I may drop either French or Politics at my college interview, ahh I don't really know! Also I do sociology now and I'd really recommend it, it's a really interesting subject. I think we should go with what we'd enjoy rather than worry about facilitating subjects though, we'll get better grades doing what we like :smile:
I want to go to uni after a levels, I think to do history and then become a teacher. It's my dream to be a writer as I love English and it's always been my best subject but it's not a solid career path. How about you?

Honestly I know I’ve heard it all from our school as they keep bragging about how 4 people have offers for oxford and whatever. I do Sociology atm too and I love it so much!! I take it with childcare so the family and education part is my strongest topic however I loveeeee crime and deviance so much it’s literally my only subject I like so I’d be silly not to take it for a Level. I either want to take English Language, sociology and psychology or swap biology for either soc or psyc but I don’t want to do biology anymore as even though it’s my strongest subject (I got a 6 in the moc) I’ve kinda been out off it recently by all the flash cards and constant mind maps I have to make it’s just a stress. I’m not sure tbh, I really wanna study sociology at uni but my sister did it and hasn’t used it as she’s a teacher now. However I kinda wanna do English Lit and do the English teacher route as I really like my English teacher and she’s made me have a passion for English, I’m predicted 8’s!! Whether that’s gonna happen or not we’ll have to see, but if it does I’m 100% taking them for a Level. Overall, my highest scoring subjects and ones that I enjoy on results day will be my a level choices. Sorry for the extremely long paragraph however my friends don’t really like talking about this stuff which is why I love TSR!! :smile:
Original post by Beth286
Honestly I know I’ve heard it all from our school as they keep bragging about how 4 people have offers for oxford and whatever. I do Sociology atm too and I love it so much!! I take it with childcare so the family and education part is my strongest topic however I loveeeee crime and deviance so much it’s literally my only subject I like so I’d be silly not to take it for a Level. I either want to take English Language, sociology and psychology or swap biology for either soc or psyc but I don’t want to do biology anymore as even though it’s my strongest subject (I got a 6 in the moc) I’ve kinda been out off it recently by all the flash cards and constant mind maps I have to make it’s just a stress. I’m not sure tbh, I really wanna study sociology at uni but my sister did it and hasn’t used it as she’s a teacher now. However I kinda wanna do English Lit and do the English teacher route as I really like my English teacher and she’s made me have a passion for English, I’m predicted 8’s!! Whether that’s gonna happen or not we’ll have to see, but if it does I’m 100% taking them for a Level. Overall, my highest scoring subjects and ones that I enjoy on results day will be my a level choices. Sorry for the extremely long paragraph however my friends don’t really like talking about this stuff which is why I love TSR!! :smile:

I knoww, I love Education the most I think, are you on AQA? Crime and Deviance is a really interesting topic too! Haha, I don't go to a high-performing school or anything so I don't reckon anyone's got offers from Oxbridge! I know what you mean, I have stacks of flashcards for every subject and it just gets too much sometimes. Maybe you should take a break from Biology a bit and see if de-stressing helps you start to love it again? I mean you don't have to get a really great grade in it at GCSE to do it at a level so it's not worth stressing over :smile: I'd love to teach English but I just don't really like Lit that much, don't think I could cope with it at A level lol. Don't worry, all my friends moan at me whenever I try to bring up school stuff :smile:
Reply 7
I knoww, I love Education the most I think, are you on AQA? Crime and Deviance is a really interesting topic too! Haha, I don't go to a high-performing school or anything so I don't reckon anyone's got offers from Oxbridge! I know what you mean, I have stacks of flashcards for every subject and it just gets too much sometimes. Maybe you should take a break from Biology a bit and see if de-stressing helps you start to love it again? I mean you don't have to get a really great grade in it at GCSE to do it at a level so it's not worth stressing over :smile: I'd love to teach English but I just don't really like Lit that much, don't think I could cope with it at A level lol. Don't worry, all my friends moan at me whenever I try to bring up school stuff :smile:

Yeah I’m doing aqa, on our class mock in crime and deviance I got 25/30 and in our actual exam hall mock on family and educTion I got 56/90, I broke down in class in front of my teacher and it was the most embarrasing lesson of my whole life, especially when people were happy with C’s and I was crying over a B. I just want that A*, I’ve never got it only one A which was my crime and deviance one. I know I guess I could but I’m trying to make all my science flash cards up until February half term so then I can have a week off and then start my proper revision for GCSEs. It’s scary how close it is like we have 13 weeks left of school!! I’m not sure I go through phases which is one of the reasons why my friends get annoyed at me, last week I wanted to be a doctor but then I realised I don’t want to do chemistry as it’s just too hard, then I realised biology is probably a no-no aswell. So I have to talk to people on here about it or my friends will be like ugh she’s changed her mind again haha!! A history teacher sounds great!! I wish I took history gcse but at the time I preferred Spanish (big mistake) :smile:
A B is amazing! Well done, you can definitely get an A* in the time we have left :smile: success is relative anyway, for the others a C might be really good but it's fine to aim higher than that, plus you never know what will happen in the real thing, the questions might be on all your best stuff. I know what you mean with the flashcards, I always set myself goals like 'I'll get this set of History flashcards done by next week' etc but it hardly ever happens or I end up doing like 10 hour days. Tbh I'm not sure where i stand with proper revision, I've got a really good memory and I constantly do work but atm I have this real 'I can't be bothered' attitude as I keep on watching Friends :smile: Yeah I'm exactly the same, my friend always used to moan at me as one week i'd say I wanted to be a journalist, the next a teacher and the next something else!! At least we're thinking about careers though, my twin brother doesn't really have a clue what to do and I think that's worse!

Original post by Beth286
Yeah I’m doing aqa, on our class mock in crime and deviance I got 25/30 and in our actual exam hall mock on family and educTion I got 56/90, I broke down in class in front of my teacher and it was the most embarrasing lesson of my whole life, especially when people were happy with C’s and I was crying over a B. I just want that A*, I’ve never got it only one A which was my crime and deviance one. I know I guess I could but I’m trying to make all my science flash cards up until February half term so then I can have a week off and then start my proper revision for GCSEs. It’s scary how close it is like we have 13 weeks left of school!! I’m not sure I go through phases which is one of the reasons why my friends get annoyed at me, last week I wanted to be a doctor but then I realised I don’t want to do chemistry as it’s just too hard, then I realised biology is probably a no-no aswell. So I have to talk to people on here about it or my friends will be like ugh she’s changed her mind again haha!! A history teacher sounds great!! I wish I took history gcse but at the time I preferred Spanish (big mistake) :smile:
Reply 9
A B is amazing! Well done, you can definitely get an A* in the time we have left :smile: success is relative anyway, for the others a C might be really good but it's fine to aim higher than that, plus you never know what will happen in the real thing, the questions might be on all your best stuff. I know what you mean with the flashcards, I always set myself goals like 'I'll get this set of History flashcards done by next week' etc but it hardly ever happens or I end up doing like 10 hour days. Tbh I'm not sure where i stand with proper revision, I've got a really good memory and I constantly do work but atm I have this real 'I can't be bothered' attitude as I keep on watching Friends :smile: Yeah I'm exactly the same, my friend always used to moan at me as one week i'd say I wanted to be a journalist, the next a teacher and the next something else!! At least we're thinking about careers though, my twin brother doesn't really have a clue what to do and I think that's worse!

Omg literally I procrastinate so much!! I don’t really know how to start with proper revision as our teachers don’t really tell us like this is how you revise they just expect us to do it?? Yeah I have a fairly good memories I’m good at memorising equations and English Lit quotes but I could do so much better if I actually put my mind to it!! Yeah I guess atleast we know now which ones we don’t want to be so it cancels out the stress when we are doing a levels plus stress!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending