The Student Room Group

Computer Science Uni Tier List

So I'm creating a little tier list of universities for Computer Science, partly for my choices next year and partly due to sheer interest. To start it off (the scores go from 1 to 10):

No particular order: (adjust by +- 0.05)
Oxbridge - 9.4
Imperial - 9.3
Edinburgh - 8.2
Durham - 8.4
Bath - 7.6
Loughborough - 7.4
UCL - 8
KCL - 7.6
St. Andrews - 9
Bristol - 7.7
Manchester - 8.1
Birmingham - 7.3
Warwick - 7.5
Nottingham - 7.2
Southampton - 7.7

These are entirely subjective and I'd like to see where this goes, this could prove a good resource if reasons for changes are given.
Original post by AmmarTa
So I'm creating a little tier list of universities for Computer Science, partly for my choices next year and partly due to sheer interest. To start it off (the scores go from 1 to 10):

Oxbridge - 9.4
Imperial - 9.3
Edinburgh - 8.2
Durham - 8.4
Bath - 7.6
Loughborough - 7.4
UCL - 8
KCL - 7.6
St. Andrews - 9
Bristol - 7.7
Manchester - 8.1
Birmingham - 7.3
Warwick - 7.5
Nottingham - 7.2
Southampton - 7.7

These are entirely subjective and I'd like to see where this goes, this could prove a good resource if reasons for changes are given.

erm, this is so incredibly arbitrary.. but I'll bite

Tier 1: Oxbridge, Imperial

Tier 2a: Bristol, UCL, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Southampton, Bath, Manchester, Warwick

Tier 2b: Birmingham, Sheffield, York, Exeter, KCL, Durham, Glasgow

--- good grade at A-level Maths line ----

Tier 2c: Nottingham, Newcastle, Loughborough, Lancaster, Surrey, Leeds, QMUL, Liverpool

Tier 3a: Swansea, Cardiff, RHUL, Sussex, QUB, Kent, UEA, Dundee, Heriot Watt

Tier 3b: Leicester, Strathclyde, Aberdeen, Hull, Reading, Aberystwyth, City
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
erm, this is so incredibly arbitrary.. but I'll bite

Tier 1: Oxbridge, Imperial

Tier 2a: Bristol, UCL, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Southampton, Bath, Manchester, Warwick

Tier 2b: Birmingham, Sheffield, York, Exeter, KCL, Durham, Glasgow

--- good grade at A-level Maths line ----

Tier 2c: Nottingham, Newcastle, Loughborough, Lancaster, Surrey, Leeds, QMUL, Liverpool

Tier 3a: Swansea, Cardiff, RHUL, Sussex, QUB, Kent, UEA, Dundee, Heriot Watt

Tier 3b: Leicester, Strathclyde, Aberdeen, Hull, Reading, Aberystwyth, City

I'm surprised Durham is so low
Original post by AmmarTa
I'm surprised Durham is so low

They haven't done anything of note and their department is apparently underfunded.
How good is Southampton compared to Manchester?
Original post by Claydelas
How good is Southampton compared to Manchester?

Well I applied to both and have been to interviews, and definitely found that Southampton gave the impression that their was more enthusiasm for Computer Science, and less focus on channelling people straight into industry. But that isn't to say that one doesn't suit some people more and the other suit other people more. At the moments I am deciding between Southampton and Warwick for my insurance, so my impression is that they are both pretty good places to study comp sci.
Original post by Faction Paradox
Well I applied to both and have been to interviews, and definitely found that Southampton gave the impression that their was more enthusiasm for Computer Science, and less focus on channelling people straight into industry. But that isn't to say that one doesn't suit some people more and the other suit other people more. At the moments I am deciding between Southampton and Warwick for my insurance, so my impression is that they are both pretty good places to study comp sci.

I am looking to study Software Eng. and have offers from all unis I've applied to, which makes it even harder to choose... Choices are Manchester, Southampton, Birmingham (CS), Glasgow and Sheffield. Currently thinking of Southampton primary, Sheffield secondary. Any suggestions?
Original post by Claydelas
I am looking to study Software Eng. and have offers from all unis I've applied to, which makes it even harder to choose... Choices are Manchester, Southampton, Birmingham (CS), Glasgow and Sheffield. Currently thinking of Southampton primary, Sheffield secondary. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure I'm in a position to say since I've only really looked at 2 of those unis in significant detail, and was looking at Comp Sci not Software Eng. If you have the chance I'd go and visit as many of them as you can, see whether you like the location and the departments, and also look at which modules they each have and choose the course that you think suits your future aims best
Original post by AmmarTa

Oxbridge - 9.4
Imperial - 9.3
Edinburgh - 8.2
Durham - 8.4
Bath - 7.6
Loughborough - 7.4
UCL - 8
KCL - 7.6
St. Andrews - 9
Bristol - 7.7
Manchester - 8.1
Birmingham - 7.3
Warwick - 7.5
Nottingham - 7.2
Southampton - 7.7

Since (I believe) you've made a great list, I'd like you to check out mine, too.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=89990130#post89990130

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending