The Student Room Group
Ravensbourne University London
London

The Official 2018 Ravensbourne Applicants Thread

Hey guys welcome to the official 2018 Applicants thread!

So at Ravensbourne we are all about the community so we started this thread to get all of you to introduce and get to know each other, as you might be future course-mates. It's also just a nice way to meet other people. Feel free to talk about anything.

To help you get started how about answering some of these questions?

Name
Why Ravensbourne?
Which course(s) are you interested in?
How is showreel/portfolio prep going?
What are your extra-curricular interests?
A random and fun fact about you!

To get the ball rolling I'll answer the questions above as well.

Name
Rowha

Why Ravensbourne?
I love the atmosphere and the people here. Also the industry level and job opportunities really attracted me to the course and Rave

I'm currently on the BA Graphic Design course in my 2nd year

I am currently working on my website and getting industry ready :aetsch:

I love photography and travelling also really into blogging.

I'm a mix between Indian, Chinese, and Zimbabwean who also grew up in US

I can't wait to read about your fun facts!

Row:h:
Reply 1
Original post by Ravensbourne

Hey guys welcome to the official 2018 Applicants thread!

So at Ravensbourne we are all about the community so we started this thread to get all of you to introduce and get to know each other, as you might be future course-mates. It's also just a nice way to meet other people. Feel free to talk about anything.

To help you get started how about answering some of these questions?

Name
Why Ravensbourne?

To get the ball rolling I'll answer the questions above as well.

Name
Rowha

Why Ravensbourne?
I love the atmosphere and the people here. Also the industry level and job opportunities really attracted me to the course and Rave

I'm currently on the BA Graphic Design course in my 2nd year

I am currently working on my website and getting industry ready :aetsch:

I love photography and travelling also really into blogging.

I'm a mix between Indian, Chinese, and Zimbabwean who also grew up in US

I can't wait to read about your fun facts!

Hey! Ive recently been told to look at ravensborne for Graphic Design but Im unable to attend any open days this year. Is there any chance you can tell me about the course, the student life, employ rate after uni, what materials ill have access to and show some student work? Thank youu!
London
Original post by abbynub
Hey! Ive recently been told to look at ravensborne for Graphic Design but Im unable to attend any open days this year. Is there any chance you can tell me about the course, the student life, employ rate after uni, what materials ill have access to and show some student work? Thank youu!

Hello abbynub,

We were recently named one of the top 100 European design schools by Italian architecture and design magazine Domus.

Our BA Graphic Design course is award winning and is internationally recognised. I Know people who study this course, so I know a good bit about it. There are regular talks and networking events from industry professionals. All the staff are also currently working in the industry and teach from experience. The course also has a great employment rate, as well as all the other courses in the university. You would be doing various projects, such as branding, advertising and design innovation, plus working on live briefs and competitions if you choose to enter them.

You can view some of the work examples here!

You will have access to the Central Loan Resource (CLR), where you can loan out equipment if you need it for your project, to produce a professional result using top of the line industry equipment. There are also prototyping rooms where you can develop your graphic design work in a more practical manner, by having access to things like laser cutters, 3D printers, sewing equipment and much more.

As for the the student life, this is a relatively small campus with just over 2000 people studying here, which means you will get to know many of the people in the other courses over the years, and collaborate on projects, as it is one of the main aspects and advantages of this university. It is also an open plan building, promoting this behavior even further.

Hope this helps a little! If you have any more questions feel free to message us again and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Have a nice day :colondollar:
Michail
Reply 3
Hi Guys,

Name: I'd rather not say at the moment

I'll be 21 when I start due to having a mental health breakdown post A - Level.

Why Ravensbourne

Some of the few places that do my course. Good location and skill set accredited.

Which courses are you interested in?

I've applied for Editing and Post Production

How is your portfolio/showreel preperation going?

Haven't started yet. Will kick things off when I get my interview date (assuming they do interview me)

What are your extracurricular activities?

I enjoy reading and binge watching YouTube.

A random fun fact about you!

I've had a film screened in Namibia.
Hey y'all, I'm on my gap year atm but I'll be at Ravensbourne later this year!

Name
Hollie

Why Ravensbourne?
The location and the setting, being in London was a plus, also I have a friend already there

BA (Hons) Digital Film Production

I'm currently working in marketing which means I'm making a lot of graphics and videos, which I will be adding to my showreel in the future

I love playing video games, I have a gaming PC with a GTX 980 TI and my Steam library has over 200 games, and of course I love watching films and TV

I worked on my first film last year as D.I.T., it was a local production (which is hopefully coming out on DVD soon!)
Original post by DitzyDaffy
Hey y'all, I'm on my gap year atm but I'll be at Ravensbourne later this year!

Hey, I'm on a year out too at the moment! Are you going into first or second year? :h: I'm a second-year and I'm hoping I'll be able to join Rave in 2018 when I restart studying!
If you don't mind me asking, what games do you play on PC?? I've got Steam and I'm so desperate to buy/play 'Ori and the Blind Forest'!! That game 'Getting Over It' that's everywhere at the moment looks hilarious, but oh my god I think I'd end up throwing my laptop at a wall hahaha! Other than that, I think I only have an old download of Undertale on Steam and I play Overwatch and World of Warcraft.

Okay, so! Getting down to business, here's a little bit about me;

Name: Jas

Why Ravensbourne? Honestly, I have a few friends there and I just kept hearing about how good it was, as well as how modern and industry-focused it is. I also appreciate that it's a smaller university since I'm coming from Falmouth Uni, and I actually prefer it being just the one building! I also stayed at Scape over Summer and it was so gorgeous! :biggrin: The students are so lovely and fun, and I've met new people who I'm now good friends with! It really seems like a great place for me.

Which course(s) are you interested in? Animation! Though, I'd quite like to learn a bit of motion graphics too! I'd like to go down the 3D side of Animation as that's what I'd like to learn, whilst doing freelance illustration on the side! At Fal Uni, I was 2D pre-production and design.

How is showreel/portfolio prep going? Pretty well! I already have showreels and a good portfolio due to being a second-year, which I'm happy about! I just have to organise and prepare all the stuff I'd like to showcase- though I already showed the course leader, Dan, a couple of my things already :tongue: It's annoying though because my Sixth Form never gave my A2 art journals back and I loved them! I did a whole project on 'Witchcraft and Unreality', which was my favourite.

What are your extra-curricular interests? I used to cosplay a lot and as a result of that, I really enjoying sewing, making dresses/skirts, and embroidery! It also kickstarted my passion in make-up artistry (Halloween is the BEST time for me 'cause I can go all out and break out the SFX makeup, hehe), and I'm developing my portfolio as a part-time model/aspiring MUA as well! I'm interested in gardening, art journalling and bullet journalling too, as well as playing D&D! :h: My partner also got me into MTG and is trying to get me into Warhammer.. rip me

Hmm, this is a tough one on the spot! My handwriting is super duper neat, and showing it to people is my favourite thing as they're always in shock at how tiny it is!! It's honestly almost microscopic; maybe a size 9 or so in font sizing, hahaha!

Hopefully, we can get this thread rolling a bit more! I'd love to get to know more people who might be going to Rave!! (Extra bonus if they're second year :wink:)
Original post by celestefleurs
Hey, I'm on a year out too at the moment! Are you going into first or second year? :h: I'm a second-year and I'm hoping I'll be able to join Rave in 2018 when I restart studying!
If you don't mind me asking, what games do you play on PC?? I've got Steam and I'm so desperate to buy/play 'Ori and the Blind Forest'!! That game 'Getting Over It' that's everywhere at the moment looks hilarious, but oh my god I think I'd end up throwing my laptop at a wall hahaha! Other than that, I think I only have an old download of Undertale on Steam and I play Overwatch and World of Warcraft.

Hopefully, we can get this thread rolling a bit more! I'd love to get to know more people who might be going to Rave!! (Extra bonus if they're second year :wink:)

Hiya! I'm going into first year, actually. I play a bit of everything, right now I'm playing Bayonetta and occasionally Oblivion. I do play Overwatch but I haven't felt like playing it recently idk why. Omg I've seen a few LPers playing that 'Getting Over It' game and it looks so frustrating I've also played Undertale in the past and really liked it!

I agree with you on getting this thread rolling a bit more, I'd love to meet some first years and more second years too :smile:
Reply 7
Name Cicely Why Ravensbourne? Love the program, love the location and pretty much everything else about this uni. Which course(s) are you interested in? Graphic Design How is showreel/portfolio prep going? Great! Finished a few days ago What are your extra-curricular interests? painting and anything animal related A random and fun fact about you! I was born in england but raised in the dominican republic!
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi i just got a place on the fashion course at ravensbourne but heard they kick out 40 of their students by final year. Is this true?
Original post by rosieridleyx
Hi i just got a place on the fashion course at ravensbourne but heard they kick out 40 of their students by final year. Is this true?

Dear rosieridleyx,

We can confirm that this is untrue and we are very happy to arrange a call with the course leader, for any prospective students wanting to discuss any concerns.

Thank you,

Ravensbourne
Name:
Sophie

Why ravensbourne;
They offered me a foundation place during my graphic design interview and I thought this would be a lot better for me to experience all art based subjects and be creative. I liked the location and is close to home so I can still stay at home.

Which course:
Foundation course doing design and media

Showreel / portfolio:
I have completed it, after my a levels I am going to build it up more while I have free time

Extra curricular:
Netflix, gaming, taking photographs and my part time job

Fun fact:
I don’t really know 😂 I don’t have one

I would like to get to know people that are starting ravensbourne in September 2018, either on my course or any other course. I am 18 😊
Original post by soph21.xx
Name:
Sophie

Why ravensbourne;
They offered me a foundation place during my graphic design interview and I thought this would be a lot better for me to experience all art based subjects and be creative. I liked the location and is close to home so I can still stay at home.

Which course:
Foundation course doing design and media

Showreel / portfolio:
I have completed it, after my a levels I am going to build it up more while I have free time

Extra curricular:
Netflix, gaming, taking photographs and my part time job

Fun fact:
I don’t really know 😂 I don’t have one

I would like to get to know people that are starting ravensbourne in September 2018, either on my course or any other course. I am 18 😊

Hey Sophie!

You should join the Official Ravensbourne 2018 Applicants page on Facebook. It would be a great way to meet other students starting this September as well as getting information.

I hope you have an amazing year. I did foundation as well and it was one of my best educational years!

Goodluck with exams!

Im not sure about the specific numbers, but yes, they do 'kick out' a fair amount by the time they get to the final year! This is because you have to work hard and have the right attitude when joining ravensbourne ! :smile: if you don't work hard you will fall behind very quickly as there is a lot of work to be done; if you are a hard worker and love what you do then don't worry! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending