The Student Room Group

LNAT Results 2018!

Hi,

I've just sat my LNAT today and I know I've completely failed it. I couldn't focus for the first 10 minutes and couldn't focus to read through properly do ended up running out of time and had to just guess 12 flagged questions at the end.

I think my essay was good and I'm proud of that but I honestly think I got about 10/42 on the Part A.

The rest of my application is really good and I'm predicted A*AA but how much will a terrible LNAT hold me back? I was hoping to go to Nottingham and have all the relevant work experience and work hard and am genuinely interested in law but is there no chance now?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arisapo
Hi,

I've just sat my LNAT today and I know I've completely failed it. I couldn't focus for the first 10 minutes and couldn't focus to read through properly do ended up running out of time and had to just guess 12 flagged questions at the end.

I think my essay was good and I'm proud of that but I honestly think I got about 10/42 on the Part A.

The rest of my application is really good and I'm predicted A*AA but how much will a terrible LNAT hold me back? I was hoping to go to Nottingham and have all the relevant work experience and work hard and am genuinely interested in law but is there no chance now?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I felt the same way when I came out of my LNAT and seriously believed Nottingham would reject me, they were the only Uni I applied to who look at the LNAT. However, despite my application being weaker with only predicted AAB on a course which generally requires AAA and a year ago needed A*AA they made me an offer the very next day. So don't worry about it too much, rejections are a part of all applications to all universities and so don't worry about your LNAT too much until you have heard back from the Uni, or have got you LNAT score.
Reply 2
Original post by maxh1000000
I felt the same way when I came out of my LNAT and seriously believed Nottingham would reject me, they were the only Uni I applied to who look at the LNAT. However, despite my application being weaker with only predicted AAB on a course which generally requires AAA and a year ago needed A*AA they made me an offer the very next day. So don't worry about it too much, rejections are a part of all applications to all universities and so don't worry about your LNAT too much until you have heard back from the Uni, or have got you LNAT score.

Thank you. What did you score in the LNAT if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Arisapo
Thank you. What did you score in the LNAT if you don't mind me asking?

I only took it last week so I haven't found out yet.
Reply 4
I only took it last week so I haven't found out yet.

Good luck, it sounds like you did very well. Do you think the LNAT matters that much though if you've done well in eveything else?
Original post by Arisapo
Good luck, it sounds like you did very well. Do you think the LNAT matters that much though if you've done well in eveything else?

Thank you, and as far as I think it simply makes up one portion of your application and it will all be viewed in a holistic manner. In my case a good LNAT score may have made up for my lower predictions, however, high predictions may make up for a lower LNAT score. Every university uses it differently and not a huge amount of universities look at it anyway. It is a chance to show the universities another plus on your application but it is not the be all and end all.
Reply 6
Thank you, and as far as I think it simply makes up one portion of your application and it will all be viewed in a holistic manner. In my case a good LNAT score may have made up for my lower predictions, however, high predictions may make up for a lower LNAT score. Every university uses it differently and not a huge amount of universities look at it anyway. It is a chance to show the universities another plus on your application but it is not the be all and end all.

Thank you. I'm still hopeful because of my predicted grades and statement but now I'm quite downhearted. Nottingham was my first choice and really wanted to go but don't think so now. At least I've got an offer from Exeter!
Original post by Arisapo
Thank you. I'm still hopeful because of my predicted grades and statement but now I'm quite downhearted. Nottingham was my first choice and really wanted to go but don't think so now. At least I've got an offer from Exeter!

Awesome! I have an offer from Exeter too, where else have you applied and who have you heard back from?
Reply 8
Awesome! I have an offer from Exeter too, where else have you applied and who have you heard back from?

Ah great! I applied to UCL, Nottingham, Exeter, Leeds and Liverpool and have offers from the latest three! Nottingham is first choice but I guess Exeter would be good.
Reply 9
yeah i sat my lnat yesterday and it was torture, not because it was difficult.. i just have a really short attention span. sitting in front of a computer for 135 mins was literally agony. Part B was alright but i only wrote 390 words tho and my conclusion was shameful.
Original post by Arisapo
Ah great! I applied to UCL, Nottingham, Exeter, Leeds and Liverpool and have offers from the latest three! Nottingham is first choice but I guess Exeter would be good.

I applied for Warwick, Nottingham, York, Exeter and Royal Holloway. I've got offers from Nottingham, Exeter and Royal Holloway and an interview at York next month. Just waiting on Warwick which I think is practically my first choice.
I messed up my LNAT when I did mine a few years ago. I think I was halfway through and had 30 mins left. Still got handsomely above the average, so you have a chance you did alright. Often it is just instinct which answers these questions anyway, so you don't need to reason for too long.

Notts isn't the most competitive LNAT, too, so you need not stress too much. I would question what highly relevant work experience you have and suggest that it won't assist in their forming a determination; but A*AA you should be OK.
Reply 12
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
I messed up my LNAT when I did mine a few years ago. I think I was halfway through and had 30 mins left. Still got handsomely above the average, so you have a chance you did alright. Often it is just instinct which answers these questions anyway, so you don't need to reason for too long.

Notts isn't the most competitive LNAT, too, so you need not stress too much. I would question what highly relevant work experience you have and suggest that it won't assist in their forming a determination; but A*AA you should be OK.

I had to go back and guess quite a few without reading it and think I probably got about 10/42, which seems terrible. I think it was just the density of the passages and I found it hard to focus. My predicted grades are higher and I think my statement was good but I think the LNAT being very poor will prevent me from getting an offer.
Reply 13
Original post by psych00
yeah i sat my lnat yesterday and it was torture, not because it was difficult.. i just have a really short attention span. sitting in front of a computer for 135 mins was literally agony. Part B was alright but i only wrote 390 words tho and my conclusion was shameful.

Yeah I was the same, I couldn't really focus and I just didn't understand some of the more scientific passages, no matter how many times I read through.

I hope it doesn't matter too much but I'm really worried about it now. I think 10/42 would stop them even considering me.
Original post by Arisapo
Yeah I was the same, I couldn't really focus and I just didn't understand some of the more scientific passages, no matter how many times I read through.

I hope it doesn't matter too much but I'm really worried about it now. I think 10/42 would stop them even considering me.

if your predicted grades are A*AA, you meet all the entry requirements and your personal statement is decent.. i don't think universities like Nottingham would weigh lnat at such a high regard anymore. There's nothing to worry about.
Reply 15
Original post by Arisapo
I had to go back and guess quite a few without reading it and think I probably got about 10/42, which seems terrible. I think it was just the density of the passages and I found it hard to focus. My predicted grades are higher and I think my statement was good but I think the LNAT being very poor will prevent me from getting an offer.

I replied in the other thread however I just wanted to touch on this particular comment.

A lot of the test books that are out there, and free tests you can do contain much shorter passages. I ended up paying for access to a testing service that deliberately make all of their question passages harder and were generally twice as long in length. What you actually find is the length of the passage generally correlates with the difficulty of the question. If I could offer any advice to people who were to take the LNAT, it would be to practise those long-passage questions because it is much more difficult to retain all of that information and then answer questions, or go back and identify the relevant sentence/passage in those long passages.
CT Edit: Post your results using the reply button.

Latest results can be found by going to the last page of the thread.

Fingers crossed! :crossedf:

Hello! Does anyone know when the LNAT 2017-2018 results will be announced? Thanks in advance!
Reply 17
Mid february normally
Thanks! Any idea if they announce a particular date?
Reply 19
Original post by Lawschool_1234
Thanks! Any idea if they announce a particular date?

I just checked the LNAT website, its says "mid February" and no exact date is given.

Latest

Trending

Trending