The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Darkesio
Why is Economics and Management at Oxford the hardest course to get into in the country? Should I apply to Cambridge for Economics? Cambridge's acceptance rate is twice Oxford's for Economics.

From what I've heard, the main difference between the courses is how mathematical they are. Cambridge economics has a reputation as being very mathematical, whereas Oxford does not. I'd look at the courses and applying for the one that suits you. Not only will you enjoy it more, but you'll be more likely to get in if it appeals to you.
Original post by AstroST
From what I've heard, the main difference between the courses is how mathematical they are. Cambridge economics has a reputation as being very mathematical, whereas Oxford does not. I'd look at the courses and applying for the one that suits you. Not only will you enjoy it more, but you'll be more likely to get in if it appeals to you.

The statistics are just really putting me off from applying to Oxford even though I would enjoy the management side of the course. Im really passionate about Economics regardless.

I just don't want to potentially miss out on getting into Oxbridge by perhaps applying to Oxford and not getting in due to the extreme competitiveness of the course whereas I may have potentially gotten into Cambridge if I had applied there.
The statistics are just really putting me off from applying to Oxford even though I would enjoy the management side of the course. Im really passionate about Economics regardless.

I just don't want to potentially miss out on getting into Oxbridge by perhaps applying to Oxford and not getting in due to the extreme competitiveness of the course whereas I may have potentially gotten into Cambridge if I had applied there.

If you want to study E&M and not just straight Economics, apply to Oxford. Both courses are very competitive and I wouldn't let the fear of the low acceptance rates associated with E&M put you off applying here. Plus, if you think you'd really enjoy the management side of the course, that's already put you in a better position than the hundreds of people who apply without the slightest clue what management is, simply because Oxford don't offer straight econ :lol:

I'm biased here as a current Oxford E&Mer, but I really enjoy the variety of the course and I'm now really glad I didn't do straight economics. Equally, I have friends studying at Cambridge who seem to love the course there too, it's just a matter of preference.

Happy to answer any more questions regarding Oxford/E&M/admissions if you have any! :smile:
Original post by desvelada
If you want to study E&M and not just straight Economics, apply to Oxford. Both courses are very competitive and I wouldn't let the fear of the low acceptance rates associated with E&M put you off applying here. Plus, if you think you'd really enjoy the management side of the course, that's already put you in a better position than the hundreds of people who apply without the slightest clue what management is, simply because Oxford don't offer straight econ :lol:

I'm biased here as a current Oxford E&Mer, but I really enjoy the variety of the course and I'm now really glad I didn't do straight economics. Equally, I have friends studying at Cambridge who seem to love the course there too, it's just a matter of preference.

Happy to answer any more questions regarding Oxford/E&M/admissions if you have any! :smile:

Thank you so much for your response! I think I'm going to apply for Economics and Management after all :biggrin:

I really want to try and maximise my chances of getting in so I'm currently doing quite a lot of further reading and preparing early with TSA, personal statement etc.

Are there any specific books you would recommend and any activities that would better my application? Also, do you have any specific advice on the personal statement and interview?

Thank you :smile:
Hi, what does the management side of the Oxford degree consist of, I want to do economics at oxbridge but really put off Oxford because i don't know what management is.
Original post by AstroST
From what I've heard, the main difference between the courses is how mathematical they are. Cambridge economics has a reputation as being very mathematical, whereas Oxford does not.

Well i have no idea how Cambridge compares, but Oxford economics is still very mathematical - high order differential equations, that sort of thing.
Thank you so much for your response! I think I'm going to apply for Economics and Management after all :biggrin:

I really want to try and maximise my chances of getting in so I'm currently doing quite a lot of further reading and preparing early with TSA, personal statement etc.

Are there any specific books you would recommend and any activities that would better my application? Also, do you have any specific advice on the personal statement and interview?

Thank you :smile:

My advice would just be to read what interests you. I know this really doesn't seem helpful, but it's best for you to find an area of the course that stands out to you and go from there. The books which you think you should read are probably what everyone has read, so don't just stick to Freakonomics. I read quite a bit about globalisation for example, but you could really choose any topic, just be wary that you will be expected to actually know some stuff about it in an interview. Be careful in your PS that you're not just name dropping books or economists, I'd take just one or two and talk about them in more detail. Also, remember that Oxford (or Cambridge if you change your mind :tongue:) is just one of your choices and although they don't care so much about extra-curriculars, other unis will so it's essential to include a little bit at the end about these.

Activity wise, there were a couple of essay competitions for A-level students when I applied, assuming they're still around you could look at them. That being said, I entered and didn't get placed or anything, ended up not mentioning it and it didn't harm my application. You could also look to see if there are any lectures or talks near you (probably easier if you're in/around London) or there are so many online courses you could work your way through. Essentially, you just need to show that you're interested in your subject, and also that you actually know something about it.

Number one interview tip: prep for the TSA or you won't get an interview. Make sure you practice sitting a whole test in timed conditions as the timing is the worst bit. Interviews vary a bit by college but I personally had two interviews - one for econ and one for management. The econ one was quite mathsy, though the maths itself was relatively simple and it was more a case of figuring out how to apply it to the situation. Management was more common sense and problem solving, you didn't really need to have any prior knowledge, we just worked through a problem together.

Basically for the interviews, I would say that it's most important to try to remain calm (easier said than done, I know), think out loud so that they can see how you're tackling the questions they give you, and try to show an interest in what they're saying. I firmly believe that my lack of knowledge surrounding some of the things they asked in the interview was made up for by the fact I tried to seem interested and enthusiastic about the topics :lol:
Original post by Cameron1209
Hi, what does the management side of the Oxford degree consist of, I want to do economics at oxbridge but really put off Oxford because i don't know what management is.

Management encompasses a lot of things. In your first year, you study general management and financial management. The financial side is split into financial reporting (accounting) and financial analysis (more typical corporate finance).

I think maybe the best way to really explain general management is to give you an idea of some different essays we did during the first term. Personally, I wrote essays on the corporate strategy used by Amazon when launching Alexa, the responsibilities of multinational corporations, the concept of disruptive innovation. Generally, what we study is quite theoretical but there's also the opportunity to research in depth about practical applications and industry trends etc.

I've just tried to condense such a varied module into a couple of sentences, so if you have any more questions just let me know! I was put off by the management aspect of the course too but I'm really enjoying that side of it now :smile:
My advice would just be to read what interests you. I know this really doesn't seem helpful, but it's best for you to find an area of the course that stands out to you and go from there. The books which you think you should read are probably what everyone has read, so don't just stick to Freakonomics. I read quite a bit about globalisation for example, but you could really choose any topic, just be wary that you will be expected to actually know some stuff about it in an interview. Be careful in your PS that you're not just name dropping books or economists, I'd take just one or two and talk about them in more detail. Also, remember that Oxford (or Cambridge if you change your mind :tongue:) is just one of your choices and although they don't care so much about extra-curriculars, other unis will so it's essential to include a little bit at the end about these.

Activity wise, there were a couple of essay competitions for A-level students when I applied, assuming they're still around you could look at them. That being said, I entered and didn't get placed or anything, ended up not mentioning it and it didn't harm my application. You could also look to see if there are any lectures or talks near you (probably easier if you're in/around London) or there are so many online courses you could work your way through. Essentially, you just need to show that you're interested in your subject, and also that you actually know something about it.

Number one interview tip: prep for the TSA or you won't get an interview. Make sure you practice sitting a whole test in timed conditions as the timing is the worst bit. Interviews vary a bit by college but I personally had two interviews - one for econ and one for management. The econ one was quite mathsy, though the maths itself was relatively simple and it was more a case of figuring out how to apply it to the situation. Management was more common sense and problem solving, you didn't really need to have any prior knowledge, we just worked through a problem together.

Basically for the interviews, I would say that it's most important to try to remain calm (easier said than done, I know), think out loud so that they can see how you're tackling the questions they give you, and try to show an interest in what they're saying. I firmly believe that my lack of knowledge surrounding some of the things they asked in the interview was made up for by the fact I tried to seem interested and enthusiastic about the topics :lol:

Thank you very much for your advice!

Also, do you have any information on which colleges are best for E&M? I'm thinking of either New College or Hertford at the moment.
Thank you very much for your advice!

Also, do you have any information on which colleges are best for E&M? I'm thinking of either New College or Hertford at the moment.

There aren't really any 'best' colleges for E&M if you're thinking academically, though you might want to consider how many spaces each college has for E&M (it can be nice to have a few of you so you can all study together) or location. I know Worcester is very close to the business school and you'll end up spending a lot of time there - the library is really nice and it has good food and free coffee :lol: The central colleges are closer to the Exam Schools though, which is where first year Econ lectures take place.

I'd say the most important things to look at when choosing a college are location and accommodation. En-suites and kitchen access vary a lot by college, and not all colleges provide accommodation for three years. Also, some are a lot prettier and more typical Oxford style, if that's something which bothers you.

hi just saw this post, i am in year 12 and i really want to get into oxford for E,M it sounds so fun! i was also shocked at the super low success rate , do u have any tips for year 12 ?
how much further reading did u do in a levels and after u read thebook how do u think critically about it, i can read a book but i cant comment on it exactly, any tips ? what can i do to be more competitive?

what super/extra curriculars did u do ?
how do u prepare for the TSA test ?
When did u start prepareing for the TSA test ?

What grades did you have, and what further reading/ extra curriculars did you do?
LSE is better.

If you want a good degree and a good job, go to LSE.

If you want no social life but a good degree, go to Cambridge.

If you want an awful degree that isnt even Economics, got Oxford.

LSE Economics graduates command the highest salaries because they are the best in the country.
(I know of at least 3 people in last 3 years who have moved from Cambridge Economics to LSE Economics as it is an average course based on Econ History)
Original post by IBDM&A
LSE is better.

If you want a good degree and a good job, go to LSE.

If you want no social life but a good degree, go to Cambridge.

If you want an awful degree that isnt even Economics, got Oxford.

LSE Economics graduates command the highest salaries because they are the best in the country.
(I know of at least 3 people in last 3 years who have moved from Cambridge Economics to LSE Economics as it is an average course based on Econ History)

why do a lot of articles say that an oxford econ degree is the most desirable.
Original post by OkThanksBye
why do a lot of articles say that an oxford econ degree is the most desirable.

Send me one. Compare average salaries and Oxford's is mediocre just like their degree
Original post by IBDM&A
Send me one. Compare average salaries and Oxford's is mediocre just like their degree

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/0/best-ten-uk-universities-study-economics/

The fact that the Telegraph compare E&M to Economics is laughable and the fact that you agree with this and can cite me that link shows your intellectual capacity (hint: it's quite low)
Original post by IBDM&A
The fact that the Telegraph compare E&M to Economics is laughable and the fact that you agree with this and can cite me that link shows your intellectual capacity (hint: it's quite low)

Bet you have loads of friends. Read that twice before you reply.
Reply 19
Original post by IBDM&amp

Hi are u at LSE now? I really want to do econ at LSE but I know that it's super competitive ! do you have any tips how I can stand out and how they choose people?

Latest

Trending

Trending