The Student Room Group

British Airways turns away black man from 2 flights in 2 days for wearing too much

Scroll to see replies

Turned away for wearing too much or for being black? If the reason was actually wearing too much, you wouldn't have included "black man" in your sentence :smile:

travelling from Iceland to London was turned away from a British Airways flight after he wore eight pairs of pants and 10 shirts to avoid paying for excess luggage.

ah... so he was denied boarding for wearing too many clothes... and he *was* wearing too many clothes.
Reply 3
Whats his being a black have to do with anything? Obnoxiously trying to dodge luggage restrictions is a fairly cross-racial thing. I'd also imagine that he posed a safety hazard.
Reply 4
Always assumed this would be a workable back-up option if I ever went over my weight allowance.
Reply 5
Doesn’t seem to be any racial profiling at all but it does seem that somebody trying to use race as a trump card
I didn't mean to rep you friendlypenguin, we all know you are not very friendly.
Here comes the racist left with the intent to make everything about race

If I was a gate attendant and saw someone trying to get on wearing 10 and 8 pairs of pants (presumably, the Telegraph forgot to de-Americanise what they've copied and they mean trousers), I'd turn them away... Why would you wear all those clothes? We live in a post 9/11 world, sh*t like this is very suspicious and is a fine way, as shown, to get yourself turned away from your flight.

BA doesn't need what he considers a "valid reason", if security concerns aren't a valid reason, I don't know what is. Look at it from the staff's perspective, this dude is wearing stupid amounts of clothes trying to board a plane... He could be hiding a bomb under all that clothing for all they know, better safe than sorry when you're talking about the fate of hundreds of people...

EasyJet is the same sort of thing... They heard about the guy and decided to off-load him because of the potential security risk, again, look at it from the staff's and captain's perspective, they don't know why he's wearing all those clothes. Why would a company risk their image for the sake of being racist towards ONE GUY, especially hot off the heels of something like the H&M "controversy"?... They wouldn't.

He would've avoided all of this hassle, and it would've cost him less had he just coughed up some money for the extra weight in the first place. Or you know... Had he not taken so much sh*t in the first place.

If you think this is racial profiling then you’re an idiot
Original post by Joinedup
ah... so he was denied boarding for wearing too many clothes... and he *was* wearing too many clothes.

Original post by L i b
Always assumed this would be a workable back-up option if I ever went over my weight allowance.

To me, the key part of BA's communication says:

We do not tolerate threatening or abusive behaviour from any customer

In addition, easyJet's communication included:

the captain for your easyJet flight was made aware of what happened the previous day. Because of this, the captain took the decision to offload you from the flight.

From this I conclude that there is a very good chance he was denied boarding for reasons of his behaviour, not for his antics with the clothes.

However, this reveals what the airlines may have developed as policy:

This is not the first time a passenger has tried to avoid paying luggage charges by wearing excessive amounts of clothing.
James McElvar, a singer with Scottish five-piece Rewind, lost consciousness flying from London to Glasgow in 2015 after wearing 12 layers of clothing

They don't want idiots killing themselves on board their aircraft after dodging baggage rules.
(edited 6 years ago)
Title is wrong, BA only turned him down for one flight.

Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Racial profiling much?

No, but we have an inaccurate (fake news) headline and a spurious attempt to out BA as racial profilers.

Dishonest much?
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Racial profiling much?

no, not really.

Considering the fact that:

This is not the first time a passenger has tried to avoid paying luggage charges by wearing excessive amounts of clothing.
James McElvar, a singer with Scottish five-piece Rewind, lost consciousness flying from London to Glasgow in 2015 after wearing 12 layers of clothing
The guys a tight **** who doesn't want to pay for his luggage. Trying it twice was really taking the piss and easyJet were perfectly within their rights offloading him. Serves him right.

I fail to see what this has to do with race.
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
Turned away for wearing too much or for being black? If the reason was actually wearing too much, you wouldn't have included "black man" in your sentence :smile:

It doesn't say that British Airways even noticed they were black. It was only the Telegraph who noticed they were black, so they must be the racists.
Original post by Drummond
It was only the Telegraph who noticed they were black, so they must be the racists.

To be fair, the chap himself spuriously made the implication it was racism, and the report just picked up on it, so the racist was the man who was wearing all the clothes.
Original post by Good bloke
To be fair, the chap himself spuriously made the implication it was racism, and the report just picked up on it, so the racist was the man who was wearing all the clothes.

lol. /thread closed
Are those barbarians that trashed the H&M store now going to destroy a BA plane
**** off

Where does the article mention a black man? The one I read talks about a man. It is you that is doing the racial profiling my friend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending