The Student Room Group

Is earning 25k a year considered poor?

I feel this is max il make in my life

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
depends..that is around the average UK salary.
Reply 2
You're basically as poor as the children in those starving African relief adverts
Original post by Got Milk

not poor, its 10k more than minimum wage-
why u setting the bar low? seems like ur not happy with 25k
If its max then yeah its not great. I'd say that's probably average for a graduate
If you dont have any children and rent is less than 800 pcm, its a good salary. You can get a decent car, take a holiday once a year somewhere far and not worry about bills

Definitely not poor, many people work in retail and call centres and earn 15k max. Managers at river island make 18k in my city.

To be considered rich, you would have to be earning over 45,000
Reply 6
it's all relative to how 'luxurious' you want your lifestyle to be........
I’ve just graduated uni, I’m on 25k and living in London and I’m able to save £600/£700 a month quite comfortably
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
if you can afford shelter, education, food, then it's not........
Original post by Got Milk

Eh. It's not bad, but don't expect to be able to get a mortgage with that money (especially in the South East)

You work in IT, right? I doubt 25k will be the max you'll make in your life...
Reply 10
rich is a very vague word and quite broad...as another poster said, u need to earn 45k+ to be "rich"....if u have a partner and a few kids (lets say 3 for e.g), then ur not really rich as u need to spend on them..rich is about how much u save, not earn.............
I see where you coming from like someone on 45k cant afford to buy ferrari and stay in 5* hotels in Spain during the summer.

but 45k puts you in the top 10%, its as rare as getting A* at A Level.
Original post by jazzie14
I’ve just graduated uni, I’m on 25k and living in London and I’m able to save £600/£700 a month quite comfortably

Do you live with your parents?
Reply 13
^ Getting A* at A-level is not THAT rare...a fair amount of people achieve one...the rareness comes towards a full streak of A*s e.g. 3 if u have 3 subjects and 4 if u have etc...
100k puts you in the top 1% in this country
well not if your expenses are 25001
Reply 16
Original post by jazzie14

25k is barely above 20k after tax. Something like just below 1.7k-ish per month. Assuming you're also not paying off any student loans or anything. If you save 600-700 that leaves you with 1k for rent, transport, and food. In London.

It is probably not technically impossible, but 'comfortably' is a pure lie in this context.
Original post by Blue_Cow
Eh. It's not bad, but don't expect to be able to get a mortgage with that money (especially in the South East)

You work in IT, right? I doubt 25k will be the max you'll make in your life...

What exactly are careers in IT ? I keep hearing about this, how exactly does one get a job in IT with a cs degree ?
Original post by hannah00
What exactly are careers in IT ? I keep hearing about this, how exactly does one get a job in IT with a cs degree ?

Its quite simple, if you have a cs degree or similar you get a job in programming by default. If like me you dont have a cs degree or similar you get a job in tech support. The pay difference between the two roles is huge.
25k is enough to make you middle class

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending