The Student Room Group

QMUL vs. University of Manchester - Post Grad

I'm a US resident but hold dual citizenship with the UK due to being born and raised in London.

In 2014, I enrolled at Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) for post-graduate studies in International Relations for my Master's degree. I completed the first semester and did well on the papers (68 and 64 respectively) but had to withdraw due to a medical issue.

Two weeks ago, I re-applied to QMUL for admission back into the IR program that I was studying.

While I was waiting for a decision, I applied to the University of Manchester to ease the stress of waiting.

Well, today I got an unconditional offer for the University of Manchester.

I'm still waiting for a decision with QMUL.

I'd love to be in London and back at QMUL, but there's something appealing about Manchester, as well. That being said, I know my way around London whereas Manchester would be an entirely new adventure.

Should QMUL accept me back, I have no idea which university to choose! Any advice?
(edited 6 years ago)
Both are excellent schools, did you enjoy your time at Queen Mary? I'd say this would just be down to visiting Manchester and deciding which type of environment you think you'd do better in.

I would say that overall Manchester is more highly regarded, but not enough for it to make a difference in itself. Try to have a look at the rankings for IR specifically, but remember league tables are quite erratic so don't put too much weight on them.

On the other hand you'll get a degree from the Uni of London at QM, and be able to use their facilities. I hear the senate library in particular is very helpful for postgrads. I'm from London, obviously biased but it's a beautiful place and there's more to do here than in Manchester.

By the way, you're better off posting this at the QMUL and Manchester forums, you'll get more answers from people who go there and can help you more.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by gamendes
Both are excellent schools, did you enjoy your time at Queen Mary? I'd say this would just be down to visiting Manchester and deciding which type of environment you think you'd do better in.

I would say that overall Manchester is more highly regarded, but not enough for it to make a difference in itself. Try to have a look at the rankings for IR specifically, but remember league tables are quite erratic so don't put too much weight on them.

On the other hand you'll get a degree from the Uni of London at QM, and be able to use their facilities. I hear the senate library in particular is very helpful for postgrads. I'm from London, obviously biased but it's a beautiful place and there's more to do here than in Manchester.

By the way, you're better off posting this at the QMUL and Manchester forums, you'll get more answers from people who go there and can help you more.

Cheers for the response. You summarized my concerns perfectly!

I did my undergrad at George Washington University in Washington DC and loved everything about it, including the city. I’m most certainly a city person, so both London and Manchester satisfy that appetite.

I’m in the US, so I don’t have the luxury of touring Manchester (despite my British connections, I’ve never been to Manchester) but I have been browsing videos on YouTube - most from UOM itself, and it looks like a solid city.

I emailed QMUL today, inquiring when I will hear back (it’s been two weeks), as a subtle way to nudge their process along. Part of me hopes they reject me just so they can make this decision for me!

I did enjoy my time at QMUL. Really liked the charm of East London, which surprised me having been born in Hampstead!

UOM definitely has a much better reputation, but QMUL is solid in its own right. I guess I’m at a win/win here.

Life is about challenges, and while I would love the familiarity of both London and QMUL - and the safety that that provides - the challenge of UOM makes it perhaps that more alluring.

We shall see.

I’d appreciate anyone else who wants to wax philosophical on the issue.

Cheers.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
The difference between the two is absolutely negligible. Manchester is just better known abroad due to the amount of research. These differences become, in my view, practically irrelevant unless you are talking about a top 10 university such as Oxford, LSE, Durham etc.

If you want a brand name, which seems to be the case, apply to a top 10 school.

Queen Mary is an excellent choice for a postgraduate degree and it is highly regarded.

Original post by madferits
Cheers for the response. You summarized my concerns perfectly!

I did my undergrad at George Washington University in Washington DC and loved everything about it, including the city. I’m most certainly a city person, so both London and Manchester satisfy that appetite.

I’m in the US, so I don’t have the luxury of touring Manchester (despite my British connections, I’ve never been to Manchester) but I have been browsing videos on YouTube - most from UOM itself, and it looks like a solid city.

I emailed QMUL today, inquiring when I will hear back (it’s been two weeks), as a subtle way to nudge their process along. Part of me hopes they reject me just so they can make this decision for me!

I did enjoy my time at QMUL. Really liked the charm of East London, which surprised me having been born in Hampstead!

UOM definitely has a much better reputation, but QMUL is solid in its own right. I guess I’m at a win/win here.

Life is about challenges, and while I would love the familiarity of both London and QMUL - and the safety that that provides - the challenge of UOM makes it perhaps that more alluring.

We shall see.

I’d appreciate anyone else who wants to wax philosophical on the issue.

Cheers.
Reply 4
Original post by Durham_
The difference between the two is absolutely negligible. Manchester is just better known abroad due to the football team.

Fixed.

Just kidding (a bit)... :five:
Reply 5
hahah cheers!

Partly true though!

Original post by Sentenced_to
Fixed.

Just kidding (a bit)... :five:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending