The Student Room Group

Car insurance after being charged with and offence

So my friend has been charged with a DUI, he has a date he has to go to court and his car is in an impound where it’s undriveable. The thing is that the police found him sleeping in the drivers seat crashed into a lamp post but no air bags went off, reason he crashed was because he tried to start it and stalled into the lamp post. Should he get it repaired through insurance or privately? As Insurance will go up or what will happen? Either or it’s going to be expensive but which will be the best way to go about it?
Original post by MU197
So my friend has been charged with a DUI, he has a date he has to go to court and his car is in an impound where it’s undriveable. The thing is that the police found him sleeping in the drivers seat crashed into a lamp post but no air bags went off, reason he crashed was because he tried to start it and stalled into the lamp post. Should he get it repaired through insurance or privately? As Insurance will go up or what will happen? Either or it’s going to be expensive but which will be the best way to go about it?

"he crashed was because he tried to start it and stalled into the lamp post."...

Of course it did :rolleyes: @IWMTom

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by RoyalSheepy
"he crashed was because he tried to start it and stalled into the lamp post."...

Spoiler

I have no words...
Reply 3
Thanks
Original post by RoyalSheepy

Spoiler

Original post by IWMTom
I have no words...

I can't recall me ever sleeping in a car when it's crashed into a lamp-post... :laugh:
Doesn't matter whether he goes through insurance or not - he's probably getting a ban anyway and the nature of the offence will void his insurance.

As far as insurance going up - doubt he'll get insured again for a while.
if it happened the way he said he's still liable as he had the intention to drive. if he'd not stalled it and hit the lamp post he would have continued to drive so will get the ban.

there is hidden costs that the your friend may not be aware of if he damaged the lamp post. he will be liable to the repair costs if any.
Reply 8
Insurance is definitely going to go up no matter what route you choose. The drink-driving conviction will have to be reported, and the accident itself will also need to be reported. Your friend may also be facing a bill from the local authority for damages to street furniture. That plus the conviction fine of course.
Will he be able to make a claim on his insurance if he is charged with DUI?
Original post by RuthieG101
if it happened the way he said he's still liable as he had the intention to drive. if he'd not stalled it and hit the lamp post he would have continued to drive so will get the ban.

there is hidden costs that the your friend may not be aware of if he damaged the lamp post. he will be liable to the repair costs if any.

Someone can correct me if wrong - but even just being at the car with the keys whilst under the influence is grounds for an arrest if caught. One of my mates told me a story about how he'd gone to a pub, intending not to drink, went well over the limit and figured at this stage the best thing he could do was get a night bag out of his car and then kip at his mate's nearby. Upon going outside he saw a squad car parked up nearby, he approached the coppers and warned them he's had a drink, he's got keys to his car and he just wants to get his night bag out of the boot and that he isn't going to drive. Claims that the coppers told him if he hadn't been up front with them beforehand they'd have nicked him. Not sure if the story is true, but can't see why he'd lie.

Original post by Jonnyboy799
Will he be able to make a claim on his insurance if he is charged with DUI?

Every insurer has their own individual terms; so that is up for them to decide. My insurance has a clause in it that if I'm caught drink-driving - my policy becomes void and is cancelled. If it transpires he has this clause; he's lucky to not be done for driving without insurance.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MU197

I am sure that is what really happened, sorry to me it is more likely he was actually driving, it is pretty much impossible otherwise. Oh well he faces a nice charge and up in court hopefully.
Original post by Rock Fan
I am sure that is what really happened, sorry to me it is more likely he was actually driving, it is pretty much impossible otherwise. Oh well he faces a nice charge and up in court hopefully.

"There I was, driving along, minding my own business, then this lamp post just jumped out in front of me. I didn't have time to stop, officer"
Original post by nevershear
Every insurer has their own individual terms; so that is up for them to decide. My insurance has a clause in it that if I'm caught drink-driving - my policy becomes void and is cancelled. If it transpires he has this clause; he's lucky to not be done for driving without insurance.

yes having the keys is seen as intention to drive. for most coppers if you don't sit in the drivers seat they show discretion
Original post by RuthieG101
yes having the keys is seen as intention to drive. for most coppers if you don't sit in the drivers seat they show discretion

A bit of confusion has arisen because the term 'DUI' was used which is an American offence. The offence in the UK is "drunk in charge of a motor vehicle". You don't have to be driving, possession of keys is enough.
Reply 15
Original post by mphysical
A bit of confusion has arisen because the term 'DUI' was used which is an American offence. The offence in the UK is "drunk in charge of a motor vehicle". You don't have to be driving, possession of keys is enough.

Yeah, looks like this thread pertains to US law rather than UK.
Here's hoping he gets banned for a very long time sent to jail. Drink drivers are scum and deserve to get severely punished.

Quick Reply

Latest