The Student Room Group

Is earning 25k a year considered poor?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iodo345
25k is enough to make you middle class
naah not really I say 30k is the bare minimum.
Original post by Got Milk
Its quite simple, if you have a cs degree or similar you get a job in programming by default. If like me you dont have a cs degree or similar you get a job in tech support. The pay difference between the two roles is huge.

you could do a masters conversion ? http://www.ncl.ac.uk/postgraduate/courses/degrees/computer-science-msc/

You can get a masters loan of up to 10,000 and you should be able to save at least 4k a year on your salary,
naah not really I say 30k is the bare minimum.

If you only have yourself to support surely it is enough to live a decent lifestyle.

Would you say a 30-35k household income is middle class?
In the words of Dolly Parton,

"one is only poor, only if they choose to be".
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Elcano
25k is barely above 20k after tax. Something like just below 1.7k-ish per month. Assuming you're also not paying off any student loans or anything. If you save 600-700 that leaves you with 1k for rent, transport, and food. In London.

It is probably not technically impossible, but 'comfortably' is a pure lie in this context.

Well it’s not mate, my rent plus bills is 600, and I live next to work and own a bike so I generally don’t use public transport. Don’t know what you eat, put I’m pretty comfortable off 400 a month for food/drink
Original post by jazzie14
Well it’s not mate, my rent plus bills is 600, and I live next to work and own a bike so I generally don’t use public transport. Don’t know what you eat, put I’m pretty comfortable off 400 a month for food/drink
do you live in a shared house?
Reply 26

Well good for you, 400 a month for food and drink is not even close to comfortable to me.
do you live in a shared house?

Yeah I live with two others no graduate in London lives alone haha
Original post by Elcano
Well good for you, 400 a month for food and drink is not even close to comfortable to me.

You do realize that’s £400 a month is £93 a week just for food/entertainment?! You must be living a life of luxury if you think that’s not comfortable lol.
we can't all be millionaires like Mr Corbyn :emo:
Reply 30
Think of this:
You earn £25K a year. There are some people in this world that live on a pennies a day.
So stop complaining, and think of others
I feel this is max il make in my life

How old are you and how long have you had this salary?
Reply 32
You do realize that’s £400 a month is £93 a week just for food/entertainment?! You must be living a life of luxury if you think that’s not comfortable lol.

Might be luxury to you, I don't feel like it's luxury at all.
Original post by Elcano
Might be luxury to you, I don't feel like it's luxury at all.

I didn’t say luxury, I said comfortable. £93 a week on food/entertainment for 1 person is comfortable
Reply 34
I didn’t say luxury, I said comfortable. £93 a week on food/entertainment for 1 person is comfortable

No, not to me.
Original post by Elcano
No, not to me.

Damn how much do you eat??? For one person spending more than £50 a week on food is excessive yikes

If you feel that £25,000 is your upper ceiling, then you might have problems. Everyone earns more eventually, if only through seniority, unless they have a chronic lack of ambition and ability.

If you worked your whole life in a job that was very low skill - say a cleaner or a lifeguard - you'd still earn more in 10 years than you do now. Cleaners probably got paid £5 per hour 20 years ago and might earn £15 per hour now.

There's also something to be said for exploiting the market. If as an IT support dude, the jobs are being advertised at £18-25, then clearly that's because a lot of people can do that kind of thing. It's basically the people off the IT Crowd. Lots of people can do that kind of work - hence the rates are lower.

People start off in that kind of thing, and the successful people find a niche - whether it's a particular skill or particular market. It's like Network Technicians aren't vastly more skilled than your average Support Technician, but there are fewer of them so they get paid more. Network Technicians that can also knock holes in walls and actually do the infrastructure work without having to get subcontractors in get paid a lot more - because there are even fewer of them. But being able to drill holes and install cables isn't super super skilled work - it's just that they do something that not many others do.

It's like solicitors. It's hard work, but loads of people want to do it, so the pay rates are right down. Pest controllers get paid a fair whack because not many people want to crawl around pigeon droppings and scoop up dead mice all day.
The average graduate salary in 2017 was £23,400.
Reply 38
Original post by cat_mac
Damn how much do you eat??? For one person spending more than £50 a week on food is excessive yikes

Lol. No it is not. And it's not hard to do at all either.
Do you just eat takeaways every day??? Eating bricks of 24k gold??? M8.

Also I have sources because I live for stats
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/blog/how-does-your-household-food-spend-compare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending