The Student Room Group

Can i appeal a university rejection, if so, how?

I thought everyone was allowed to appeal a rejection made by a university.

If i can, how?I know i have posted somewhere about this and i did receive advice but not specific to tackling a university rejection.

The advice i got given on the other thread was to substitute the X university with another one.

But my question is, how do you appeal, especially if the decision was made on something stupid like not providing a reference.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Usually ring the uni. Were you below entry requirements or did you have a bad personal statement because that can make things tricky? If it was just not providing a reference then ring and say "I'm really sorry I don't have a reference to give you, but X, Y and Z happened and if I can get you the reference by [insert realistic date] will that be enough for you to reconsider?" If the problem is that no reference is coming full stop, then switching unis is probably a good idea, but you'd have to call up before applying and saying "I have no reference is that okay?"
Reply 2
Original post by MKBH
Usually ring the uni. Were you below entry requirements or did you have a bad personal statement because that can make things tricky? If it was just not providing a reference then ring and say "I'm really sorry I don't have a reference to give you, but X, Y and Z happened and if I can get you the reference by [insert realistic date] will that be enough for you to reconsider?" If the problem is that no reference is coming full stop, then switching unis is probably a good idea, but you'd have to call up before applying and saying "I have no reference is that okay?"

They rejected me based on no reference.

I am on a gap year and did contact my tutor days before but on UCAS my reference box was never ticked and i phoned ucas and they said my reference was still sitting with the college. At this point it was getting to late so i told them clear my reference section so sent it off without a reference.

However, the day after that, i emailed each of my unis the situation etc.

The X university rejected me based on no reference and an hour later i got an email from them stating if you do not have a reference then your application may not be considered, something along those lines.
Reply 3
Original post by Blackstarr

I am on a gap year and did contact my tutor days before but on UCAS my reference box was never ticked and i phoned ucas and they said my reference was still sitting with the college. At this point it was getting to late so i told them clear my reference section so sent it off without a reference.

The X university rejected me based on no reference and an hour later i got an email from them stating if you do not have a reference then your application may not be considered, something along those lines.

Is there any chance you might still be able to get the reference at a later date? If yes, you can follow up saying that it's going to take some time but you can get it to them, and if not you'll have to hope that your emails to the other unis worked, because an email saying they'll reject you for not having a reference seems like something you'll struggle to appeal...
Reply 4
Original post by MKBH
Is there any chance you might still be able to get the reference at a later date? If yes, you can follow up saying that it's going to take some time but you can get it to them, and if not you'll have to hope that your emails to the other unis worked, because an email saying they'll reject you for not having a reference seems like something you'll struggle to appeal...

Greenwich has already rejected me based on that.

The other unis i sent emails to(2 of them) said they would still consider applications without a reference and that applicants can provide that reference.

I don't see the big deal with references.

why will it be hard to appeal?
Reply 5
i know that every case is different but because of no reference it sounds daft to me to be rejected.

yes, i have sort of moved on from this but it would be nice to know from anyone if i could still do something otherwise to let it slide if i have a chance.
Reply 6

Greenwich has already rejected me based on that.

The other unis i sent emails to(2 of them) said they would still consider applications without a reference and that applicants can provide that reference.

I don't see the big deal with references.

why will it be hard to appeal?

I don't know why references are such a huge deal, either! I almost missed the deadline over mine. More trouble if it's worth, if you ask me...

The other 2 seem like good signs! But, an email saying they'll reject you for no reference seems pretty decisive as to where they stand on the "no references, no consideration" thing...
Reply 7
Original post by MKBH
I don't know why references are such a huge deal, either! I almost missed the deadline over mine. More trouble if it's worth, if you ask me...

The other 2 seem like good signs! But, an email saying they'll reject you for no reference seems pretty decisive as to where they stand on the "no references, no consideration" thing...

Yh, but i am wondering about the appeal, like i phoned them up but i still did not get any clear answers on what to do.

Its really daft.

You should have contacted them well in advance. If it's a good uni then you've not got a chance but if its a crap uni then maybe.

Either way, leaving things till the end is poor
Reply 9
Original post by michaelmyers
You should have contacted them well in advance. If it's a good uni then you've not got a chance but if its a crap uni then maybe.

Either way, leaving things till the end is poor

well, no because my ex tutor was meant to do my reference. I contacted him days before and he agreed.

He never did it. So i had to send it off without one. I then emailed but at this point it was obviously too late.
well, no because my ex tutor was meant to do my reference. I contacted him days before and he agreed.

He never did it. So i had to send it off without one. I then emailed but at this point it was obviously too late.

"days" is not enough. Should have done it before that, ideally months before
Original post by MKBH

Seriously???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaelmyers
"days" is not enough. Should have done it before that, ideally months before

Yeah but it does not take long to do a reference.

If i could, i would have made one for myself.

Also there are examples one can copy and paste from and tweak them.

I am just saying

I am just saying

It might not take "long" but tutors have a vast amount of references to write and applications to sort out and would naturally expect a gap year student who is no longer studying with them to have contacted them as early as possible. I understand your frustration but please be aware that tutors would have a lot to do and not just applications for universities, they'd have to contact UCAS with other enquiries and make sure everyone's application is accurate and has all the relevant details. Your best bet is to contact your tutor for the reference and email the universities.
I thought everyone was allowed to appeal a rejection made by a university.

If i can, how?I know i have posted somewhere about this and i did receive advice but not specific to tackling a university rejection.

The advice i got given on the other thread was to substitute the X university with another one.

But my question is, how do you appeal, especially if the decision was made on something stupid like not providing a reference.

You can only make an appeal if you believe something has gone wrong with the University procedure ie they lost your whole application and didn't assess it at all, then you could appeal and get them to assess it.

You can't appeal on the basis of academic judgement ie they assessed your application not to be strong enough. Also you can't appeal on the basis you don't agree with their process, for example that you have to submit references by a deadline.

I'm afraid you don't have a case for an appeal, based on what you've said.

I am just saying

Well, as others have said you dont have much ground for appeal. You should try imo, explaining your situation in detail and blaming it on incompetency
Original post by threeportdrift
You can only make an appeal if you believe something has gone wrong with the University procedure ie they lost your whole application and didn't assess it at all, then you could appeal and get them to assess it.

You can't appeal on the basis of academic judgement ie they assessed your application not to be strong enough. Also you can't appeal on the basis you don't agree with their process, for example that you have to submit references by a deadline.

I'm afraid you don't have a case for an appeal, based on what you've said.

My reference was sitting with my college
My reference was sitting with my college

Then your argument is with your College. There is nothing wrong with the University process.
Original post by dontgivea
It might not take "long" but tutors have a vast amount of references to write and applications to sort out and would naturally expect a gap year student who is no longer studying with them to have contacted them as early as possible. I understand your frustration but please be aware that tutors would have a lot to do and not just applications for universities, they'd have to contact UCAS with other enquiries and make sure everyone's application is accurate and has all the relevant details. Your best bet is to contact your tutor for the reference and email the universities.

The day after i sent of my ucas without reference i emailed them.

3 of them replied.

Out of the three, two agreed but the 1 i got rejected from emailed shortly after saying "without a reference you are not guaranteed an offer" or something like that
Original post by dontgivea

I am not trying to argue with anyone, just saying.

It does not take long to do a bloody reference like i could have done one for myself but that would have been fraud.

And yeah, i never contacted him like lastminuite.com it was like a good week before.

Quick Reply

Latest