The Student Room Group

Imperial or UCL - Which is more rigorous?

A friend recently told me that studying at Imperial is more academic rigorous. Focusing more on academics with more lecture hours per week as opposed to UCL which has less of those stuff. Is this true?
Original post by IDDIN
A friend recently told me that studying at Imperial is more academic rigorous. Focusing more on academics with more lecture hours per week as opposed to UCL which has less of those stuff. Is this true?

If only academic rigour were determined by how many hours a week you are in lectures :rolleyes:
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
If only academic rigour were determined by how many hours a week you are in lectures :rolleyes:

If only right. Well, that's not what i meant either. Rigorous as in exam oriented. Basically A level as opposed to IB. Just classes, test, exam. Now is this true?
Original post by IDDIN
If only right. Well, that's not what i meant either. Rigorous as in exam oriented. Basically A level as opposed to IB. Just classes, test, exam. Now is this true?

Again no employer is going to ask you how many exams you did. They will ask what you studied and about your skills and experience.
Reply 4
Again no employer is going to ask you how many exams you did. They will ask what you studied and about your skills and experience.

You're correct. Which is why I ask such question. Exams and results are not looked upon. Skills however is. As such, if Imperial indeed is exam oriented, why would I want to go there having to cram my brain when I can definitely use that time to gain some other skill and insight about other things and would therefore prefer UCL. So, back to the question, is this true?
Reply 5
Just to make it clear, I don't look up to an institution just because they have more exams and are more academic oriented. That in and of itself does not determine what a graduate is capable of.
Original post by IDDIN
You're correct. Which is why I ask such question. Exams and results are not looked upon. Skills however is. As such, if Imperial indeed is exam oriented, why would I want to go there having to cram my brain when I can definitely use that time to gain some other skill and insight about other things and would therefore prefer UCL. So, back to the question, is this true?

Except without the academic background you're not going to get very far with just skills. So back to my answer which is stop worrying about pointless things like this and focus on the course.
Reply 7
Except without the academic background you're not going to get very far with just skills. So back to my answer which is stop worrying about pointless things like this and focus on the course.

Um, I do believe that these two unis are fairly good in terms of academic. If I were to choose UCL does not mean I'm default academic incapable. Which by that, it means in the larger picture, both are doing things right. Which then makes the small things matter.
Reply 8
If you are from any one of those two unis, or have had any experience of being with them, I do appreciate some insight on this matter. From the way you reply, it seems as if you might be a uni student, however, not from those institutions. If I'm mistaken though, I'm sorry.
Original post by IDDIN

What subject?
Reply 10
Original post by Snufkin
What subject?

Mechanical Engineering
Original post by IDDIN
Mechanical Engineering

I've moved your thread into the engineering forum, you are more likely to get answers there. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Snufkin
I've moved your thread into the engineering forum, you are more likely to get answers there. :smile:

I see. Thank you very much, I appreciate it
For engineering Imperial soars far ahead of UCL, it's not even a debate. Given that Imperial is first and foremost an Engineering school, and for UCL engineering is pushed to the back somewhat, I imagine you will also find a lot more related activities at Imperial.

In terms of lecture hours, that's not really something you should look at in order to determine academic rigour as it will be a red herring. UK universities have a strong focus on independent learning so the number of lecture hours won't make a whole lot of difference, and for topics where labs aren't appropriate you almost certainly won't need contact time. In fact you could make a decent argument that more lecture hours is the sign of a worse course. In first year you will see 30-40 hours of contact time per week no matter where you go due to a combination of lots of smaller labs, transitioning you to the uni style of teaching and learning, and bridging gaps between A levels and engineering. In 3rd or 4th year you will likely have about 10 hours no matter where you go, because you're expected to be independent, you're expected to be able to keep up with the fast pace of lectures or read up if you can't, you're expected to do projects outside of your course and other extracurriculars.
Reply 14
Original post by Helloworld_95
For engineering Imperial soars far ahead of UCL, it's not even a debate. Given that Imperial is first and foremost an Engineering school, and for UCL engineering is pushed to the back somewhat, I imagine you will also find a lot more related activities at Imperial.

In terms of lecture hours, that's not really something you should look at in order to determine academic rigour as it will be a red herring. UK universities have a strong focus on independent learning so the number of lecture hours won't make a whole lot of difference, and for topics where labs aren't appropriate you almost certainly won't need contact time. In fact you could make a decent argument that more lecture hours is the sign of a worse course. In first year you will see 30-40 hours of contact time per week no matter where you go due to a combination of lots of smaller labs, transitioning you to the uni style of teaching and learning, and bridging gaps between A levels and engineering. In 3rd or 4th year you will likely have about 10 hours no matter where you go, because you're expected to be independent, you're expected to be able to keep up with the fast pace of lectures or read up if you can't, you're expected to do projects outside of your course and other extracurriculars.

Wow that is quite some insightful info. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest