The Student Room Group

Best university for History and Politics

Hey! So, I received an offer from 3 universities and I'm struggling to decide. I'm not from the U.K, so, I believe that someone from there could give me a really useful advice.

King's College of London made me an offer but I'm almost certain that one of the four requirements that they gave me I won't accomplish. I'm not quite confident about this uni.

The University of Manchester made me an offer whose requirements I have already accomplished. I really love this uni, it feels like home, but I'm afraid of being wrong about this. Is the students' environment/lectures/university itself good?

The University of Warwick made me an offer and I believe I can accomplish those requirements. I'm not sure if it is a really good uni. The rankings are really confusing. I have no idea in how to rate this uni in order to compare them. Help! Also, is Coventry a small town? I'm from a small island, I can't stand small towns anymore! However, if it has a really good environment I can think about that.

I'm not from the U.K, so, one of my biggest concerns is actually the place that I will settle in. I really want to do a good choice but also to be in a great uni, once I want to gain a scholarship for a masters degree.
Original post by celinasmp
Hey! So, I received an offer from 3 universities and I'm struggling to decide. I'm not from the U.K, so, I believe that someone from there could give me a really useful advice.

King's College of London made me an offer but I'm almost certain that one of the four requirements that they gave me I won't accomplish. I'm not quite confident about this uni.

The University of Manchester made me an offer whose requirements I have already accomplished. I really love this uni, it feels like home, but I'm afraid of being wrong about this. Is the students' environment/lectures/university itself good?

The University of Warwick made me an offer and I believe I can accomplish those requirements. I'm not sure if it is a really good uni. The rankings are really confusing. I have no idea in how to rate this uni in order to compare them. Help! Also, is Coventry a small town? I'm from a small island, I can't stand small towns anymore! However, if it has a really good environment I can think about that.

I'm not from the U.K, so, one of my biggest concerns is actually the place that I will settle in. I really want to do a good choice but also to be in a great uni, once I want to gain a scholarship for a masters degree.

Out of Warwick and Manchester, Warwick is the more highly ranked university, and definitely better for the History and Politics course (that's one of the reasons why it has higher entry requirements).

However, if living in a big, exciting city is what is most important to you, then I would be inclined to say Manchester. Manchester is the UK's 'second city' - it's huge, with beautiful buildings and so much going on.

Warwick university on the other hand, is surrounded by fields (where you'd live in first year), and most second years live in Leamington Spa, a small provincial town comprised almost entirely of students and pensioners! The nearest city, Coventry, is a small city, and not exactly 'nice'; it's often said that it has never recovered from the Blitz in WW2 when it was bombed extremely heavily. It was recently named Britain's seventh least appealing town.

So basically, you need to decide between the slightly higher prestige and quality of the course and university at Warwick, and the city life in Manchester.
Reply 2
Original post by LeapingLucy
Out of Warwick and Manchester, Warwick is the more highly ranked university, and definitely better for the History and Politics course (that's one of the reasons why it has higher entry requirements).

However, if living in a big, exciting city is what is most important to you, then I would be inclined to say Manchester. Manchester is the UK's 'second city' - it's huge, with beautiful buildings and so much going on.

Warwick university on the other hand, is surrounded by fields (where you'd live in first year), and most second years live in Leamington Spa, a small provincial town comprised almost entirely of students and pensioners! The nearest city, Coventry, is a small city, and not exactly 'nice'; it's often said that it has never recovered from the Blitz in WW2 when it was bombed extremely heavily. It was recently named Britain's seventh least appealing town.

So basically, you need to decide between the slightly higher prestige and quality of the course and university at Warwick, and the city life in Manchester.

Thank you so much for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending