The Student Room Group

Cannabis legalisation causing violent crime to fall in US.

The legalisation of marijuana for medical purposes has led to a significant reduction in violent crime in several US states bordering Mexico, according to new research.

The study, published in The Economic Journal, found that the rate of violent crime including robberies, murders and aggravated assaults fell by 12.5 per cent in counties close to the border after the introduction of medical marijuana laws (MMLs).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/medical-marijuana-legalisation-cannabis-us-states-violent-crime-drop-numbers-study-california-new-a8160311.html

No surprise there then, why are we so slow to catch up in this country?
Original post by the beer
The legalisation of marijuana for medical purposes has led to a significant reduction in violent crime in several US states bordering Mexico, according to new research.

The study, published in The Economic Journal, found that the rate of violent crime including robberies, murders and aggravated assaults fell by 12.5 per cent in counties close to the border after the introduction of medical marijuana laws (MMLs).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/medical-marijuana-legalisation-cannabis-us-states-violent-crime-drop-numbers-study-california-new-a8160311.html

No surprise there then, why are we so slow to catch up in this country?

I'm sure they will look at it, but the UK isnt the US and thats one year for 3 states. Take a while yet Before its adopted in the UK.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
I'm sure they will look at it, but the UK isnt the US and thats one year for 3 states. Take a while yet Before its adopted in the UK.

Not just the US, much of the rest of the world, even Iran have less harsh laws on cannabis than the UK.

Not just the US, much of the rest of the world, even Iran have less harsh laws on cannabis than the UK.

Maybe go and live in Iran?
The UK has more pressing issues. A whole heap of them.
Reply 4
Maybe go and live in Iran?

I prefer the way Spain have gone about it personally.

The UK has more pressing issues. A whole heap of them.

Ugh.

I'd say the highest recorded drug death rate on record makes it quite pressing
I prefer the way Spain have gone about it personally.

Ugh.

I'd say the highest recorded drug death rate on record makes it quite pressing

Not in terms of issues that voters are interested in.

Brexit.
Economy.
NHS
Social care.
Education.
Obesity.
Security.

The UK is in a poor state at the moment. Maybe when things settle after Brexit. I dont see them legalising it any time soon. They may relax medically prescribed cannabis.
Reply 6
Not in terms of issues that voters are interested in.

Brexit.
Economy.
NHS
Social care.
Education.
Obesity.
Security.

The UK is in a poor state at the moment. Maybe when things settle after Brexit. I dont see them legalising it any time soon. They may relax medically prescribed cannabis.

There are always more pressing issues. We can decriminalise without doing anything much at all.
There are always more pressing issues. We can decriminalise without doing anything much at all.

Thats up to the government and the medical experts.
the only way you will get your wish is through the ballot box or if medical evidence persuades them otherwise.
Reply 8
Thats up to the government and the medical experts.
the only way you will get your wish is through the ballot box or if medical evidence persuades them otherwise.

When have the government ever listened to expert opinion contrary to theirs? They like to live in an echo chamber.
Original post by Napp
When have the government ever listened to expert opinion contrary to theirs? They like to live in an echo chamber.

I believe they take advice from the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs?
The point about getting elected in a democracy is they can carry out the policies they were elected upon. I doubt small scale personal users are targeted, but I dont see them legalising it any time soon. If anything there were concerns to reclassify it up to a class B, but the advice was to keep it as a C.
I believe they take advice from the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs?

If by 'take advice from' you mean flatly ignore the reports that they themselves commission and fire world-leading experts for reaching politically inconvenient conclusions then sure.

The point about getting elected in a democracy is they can carry out the policies they were elected upon. I doubt small scale personal users are targeted, but I dont see them legalising it any time soon. If anything there were concerns to reclassify it up to a class B, but the advice was to keep it as a C.

No, it did get reclassified. It's currently class B, not that the police give a crap.
Original post by Captain Haddock

No, it did get reclassified. It's currently class B, not that the police give a crap.

Thanks for the correction and have some rep. My point is I dont see government policy changing any time soon from either side, except in the ways mentioned. The only way to force them to rethink is political and if there are sufficient votes in it.

Quick Reply