The Student Room Group

Is it possible to go from manager to senior manager after 1 year at big 4?

Say if I'm a manager at PWC within audit, can I apply for senior manager roles within audit at other big 4 firms and have a chance?
Original post by e^x
Say if I'm a manager at PWC within audit, can I apply for senior manager roles within audit at other big 4 firms and have a chance?
Hello there.:hi:

I've asked for your thread to be moved into the Finance and accountancy forum where you should hopefully get the advice you need.:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
Hello there.:hi:

I've asked for your thread to be moved into the Finance and accountancy forum where you should hopefully get the advice you need.:smile:

Thanks
Original post by e^x

Highly unlikely. One year of manager will likely see you pushed down essentially to a new manager unless you are exceptional. It will normally take at least two years as manager to make senior manager at your own firm and if you move you’ll need to build a new network, portfolio, reputation and business case.
Reply 4
Original post by natninja
Highly unlikely. One year of manager will likely see you pushed down essentially to a new manager unless you are exceptional. It will normally take at least two years as manager to make senior manager at your own firm and if you move you’ll need to build a new network, portfolio, reputation and business case.

Do you hold a position within the big 4?
Is it realistic to become a director in 8/9 years after starting as a grad?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by e^x
Do you hold a position within the big 4?
Is it realistic to become a director in 8/9 years after starting as a grad?

Yes, I’m currently a senior associate.

Is it possible... well usually the quickest would be 3 years to qualify then 1-2 before manager promotion (firm dependent) then another 2 minimum as manager before 2-3 as senior manager so 8-10 years to director (more likely towards the 10 year end though) and 10-14 years for partner in total assuming quickest possible progression. So all considered yes it would be realistic but not easy.
Reply 6
Yes, I’m currently a senior associate.

Is it possible... well usually the quickest would be 3 years to qualify then 1-2 before manager promotion (firm dependent) then another 2 minimum as manager before 2-3 as senior manager so 8-10 years to director (more likely towards the 10 year end though) and 10-14 years for partner in total assuming quickest possible progression. So all considered yes it would be realistic but not easy.

Can you tell me more in terms of having a business case? Is it an interview? Have you prepared one yet?
Original post by e^x
Can you tell me more in terms of having a business case? Is it an interview? Have you prepared one yet?

At my firm you don’t have to prepare a business case until you go up for promotion to manager but essentially you need to persuade the partnership why you are a suitable candidate and how you will help develop the practice beyond merely doing your job.
Reply 8
At my firm you don’t have to prepare a business case until you go up for promotion to manager but essentially you need to persuade the partnership why you are a suitable candidate and how you will help develop the practice beyond merely doing your job.

How did you find the ACA exams? Do you have to study after work or can you get away with studying on weekends?
Reply 9
Original post by e^x
How did you find the ACA exams? Do you have to study after work or can you get away with studying on weekends?

For the harder exams you will need to do a lot more than just revise on weekends. You'll get some study leave but probably not enough so you'll need to do revision after work, yes.
Original post by e^x

We got college time for a few weeks before each set but definitely had to study after college and on weekends, they aren't too bad - more volume than difficulty.
Reply 11
Original post by stirkee
For the harder exams you will need to do a lot more than just revise on weekends. You'll get some study leave but probably not enough so you'll need to do revision after work, yes.

We got college time for a few weeks before each set but definitely had to study after college and on weekends, they aren't too bad - more volume than difficulty.

Are you with Kaplan or BPP or other?
Original post by e^x

BPP
Original post by e^x

Kaplan
Reply 14
Original post by stirkee
BPP

Kaplan

Do you think moving to equity research after ACA/ICAS would be easy?
Also do think getting promoted after qualifying is harder in some service lines is easier/harder than other service lines?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending