The Student Room Group

Presentation Phobia - help

I'm in my second year of university and after Easter, I've been asked to do a number of presentations (group and individual). I have glossophobia which is a fear of public speaking - I get sweaty hands, heart races and my voice breaks. I've tried explaining this to my mentor and lecturers at the university but no one seems to want to listen.

I know I can't do presentations and although it may seem like nothing to a lot of people, it's all I've been thinking about and stressing over.

I want to drop out because I feel like it's the easy option but at the same time, I want to complete my degree.

PS they are un-assessed so they don't count towards my final grade

Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in my second year of university and after Easter, I've been asked to do a number of presentations (group and individual). I have glossophobia which is a fear of public speaking - I get sweaty hands, heart races and my voice breaks. I've tried explaining this to my mentor and lecturers at the university but no one seems to want to listen.

I know I can't do presentations and although it may seem like nothing to a lot of people, it's all I've been thinking about and stressing over.

I want to drop out because I feel like it's the easy option but at the same time, I want to complete my degree.

PS they are un-assessed so they don't count towards my final grade

Any advice?

Absolutely don't drop out over presentations. You've gotten this far! Have you tried talking to student support services? Maybe talk to someone in your department that you trust and get on with and explain that this is making you consider dropping out because it's such a big deal for you. Do you get this kind of anxiety in any other situations? It could be worth speaking to your GP about ways to reduce your anxiety as it's affecting you in such a big way

Quick Reply

Latest