The Student Room Group

The Revision Games - AS edition

*ATTENTION PLEASE* I'm annoying and stupid, so if you can't deal with that, stop reading here!

Welcome to my 2017/2018 GYG Blog
Hi! I'm Michelle and currently, I am in Year 12 in a school. I currently attend a private school which I have been at since Year 7. It's a little late for me to start this but since my recent mock results (which I will explain later) I thought I should start doing this to motivate me to revise. I thought I should motivate myself, and usually I respond well to organisation techniques, which I view this as. Hopefully, I will, through the motivation given to me in this blog, be able to achieve AAAA in my end of year exams.

GCSEs...
My GCSE years were... special to say the least. Throughout the two years, I experienced really difficult times with my friends. This lead me to believe that I was fairly awful in everything I do, including my subjects. I spent a lot of those years off school, and I wasn't exactly motivated.

I convinced myself that I was going to get A*A*A*AAABBBBB (English and Maths predictions converted into letters)

My school, however, were more generous. They thought I was going to get A*A*A*A*A*AAAAAB.

These were my real results:

Spoiler

AS Year:
So, regardless of my results I had already picked my A levels. I am currently doing Geography, RE (Philosophy and Ethics), Chemistry and French. A strange bunch, I know. Recently I had my mocks, which explains why I have started this blog.

In Geography, I got an A. In the exam, I got 84% and wrote a banging essay (18/20 first try, pretty good). Geography is definitely my favourite subject, and I enjoy revising it, so this certainly isn't the problem.

In RE, I got a C. Sounds bad, I know, but I was top of the class. You may be thinking that's worrying for me, but the department has never got lower than a B, and there have been some airheads who have done it other years and done well, so I should be fine!

French was fairly awful, I'm going to admit. However, I've been told that the exams were better then expected, and I'm at B/A level right now. My teachers are convinced I'll get an A in the end, so it should be good.

Chemistry was my failure. I got a D. I wasn't the lowest in the class, but most people got Cs, Bs or As. My teacher isn't too worried, but I'm not sure she understands my expectations for myself. This is what I'm going to focus on, because I plan to do an AS in it at the end of the year.

Moving Forward:
After A Levels, I hope to go to a good/decent/anywhere-that-will-accept-me university to study Law. I hope to be a solicitor. Both my parents did Law and hated it, so if I do the degree and don't like it, it's not the end of the world!

I'm going to update at least once a week and if I don't, somebody hit me. I'll count the week by ending on Sunday.

Bye for now!
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
good luck!!
I'm in year 12 too :hugs: taking Maths, FM, Physics and Chem :biggrin:
Congrats on your GCSE grades!! They're really good :biggrin:
ps. I don't mind hitting you to remind you to update every Saturday evening :biggrin: (you can always say no)
Original post by nyxnko_
good luck!!
I'm in year 12 too :hugs: taking Maths, FM, Physics and Chem :biggrin:
Congrats on your GCSE grades!! They're really good :biggrin:
ps. I don't mind hitting you to remind you to update every Saturday evening :biggrin: (you can always say no)

You've taken such hard subjects! One of my best friends takes those subjects and he's the smartest person I know, so I bet you fit into that category too!!
Thank you! Reminding me on Saturdays would be great!!! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Michelle08
You've taken such hard subjects! One of my best friends takes those subjects and he's the smartest person I know, so I bet you fit into that category too!!
Thank you! Reminding me on Saturdays would be great!!! :biggrin:

hehe.. I doubt it :biggrin:
Np :biggrin: Does today count??
Original post by nyxnko_
hehe.. I doubt it :biggrin:
Np :biggrin: Does today count??

I'm not sure :biggrin: It depends on whether I have done any work today to make posting worthwhile :colondollar:
Reply 5
I'm not sure :biggrin: It depends on whether I have done any work today to make posting worthwhile :colondollar:

oh okay... you should do a weekly summary every Saturday :biggrin: if you don't post every day, that is.. :biggrin:
Saturday, 20th January 2018
I feel like I've punched myself in the face for saying I'd update before every Sunday and creating this on Friday - I only gave myself one slot to start but I managed it. My main priority, as I've already stated, at this point is Chemistry. However, I'm still working on other subjects. This did lead to an interesting morning, especially with my original plan anyway.

Chemistry -
I did most of my work on Chemistry. I went through an entire chapter, outlining my problems there. Stupidly, I did do the chapter I'm probably best at first, but it's the first chapter in the book. I worked out how to remember different orbital thingios with (you can see from my use of 'thingios' I haven't mastered it yet.), so I can now work all that stuff out. I also made lots of notes and did all the summary questions, only getting 1 thing wrong. Later on, I'm hoping to make a powerpoint summary and to do some online questions.

Picture of some notes:
Attachment not found

French -
For French, I found a list of vocab on Quizlet and tried to learn it for a vocab test on Tuesday. I'm going to try and work more on vocab this year, because grammar doesn't phase me at all. I just can't remember words. It's frustrating when you know how to form all these different tenses, but you can't remember the verbs to go with them.
Later on, I'm also going to write an essay on La Haine, which we were set for homework. So far, essays in French have been fine, but they've never been to the standard I want. I'm thinking of making a list of 50 words I can keep to the side, and then I won't allow myself to look up words. This way it prepares me better for the exam, and as I do more essays, I'll cut down the number of words.

Other things -
Today, or really this morning, I've done a few more things. I spent about an hour writing my short story, which I post every Sunday on WattPad. That's my big hobby, and I like keeping up my writing whilst learning more words. Now that I don't have to do English in school, I enjoy the aspects of the subject a lot more. I do loads of creative writing, reading and essay writing now.
I'm also planning on practicing my violin today. I'm doing my Grade 5 in March, so I need to really get grasping the scales and pieces properly now. I can play them all, but it needs to be perfect really.

Week Plan :
Chemistry: Get through a few chapters and highlight the biggest problems I have. Do all the summary questions possible. If this is completed then get past paper questions to do.
French: Learn vocab and learn how to form the past historic (aka. the most stupid tense ever created).
RE: Research more opinions on Soul, Mind and Body. Create a powerpoint on this and then write an essay on it. I feel this needs to be looked at as it was my lowest mark on an essay out of the 3 in the exam.
Geography: Go over Urban Microclimates, because that stuff really just doesn't sit with me!
Homework: Finish French and Geography essay. Make sure that all Geography work is done, given my teacher has been off all week. Do all the chemistry work given for our cover.

Tune in next week to see how miserably I will have failed at all of these goals.... :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Saturday, 20th January 2018
I feel like I've punched myself in the face for saying I'd update before every Sunday and creating this on Friday - I only gave myself one slot to start but I managed it. My main priority, as I've already stated, at this point is Chemistry. However, I'm still working on other subjects. This did lead to an interesting morning, especially with my original plan anyway.

Chemistry -
I did most of my work on Chemistry. I went through an entire chapter, outlining my problems there. Stupidly, I did do the chapter I'm probably best at first, but it's the first chapter in the book. I worked out how to remember different orbital thingios with (you can see from my use of 'thingios' I haven't mastered it yet.), so I can now work all that stuff out. I also made lots of notes and did all the summary questions, only getting 1 thing wrong. Later on, I'm hoping to make a powerpoint summary and to do some online questions.

French -
For French, I found a list of vocab on Quizlet and tried to learn it for a vocab test on Tuesday. I'm going to try and work more on vocab this year, because grammar doesn't phase me at all. I just can't remember words. It's frustrating when you know how to form all these different tenses, but you can't remember the verbs to go with them.
Later on, I'm also going to write an essay on La Haine, which we were set for homework. So far, essays in French have been fine, but they've never been to the standard I want. I'm thinking of making a list of 50 words I can keep to the side, and then I won't allow myself to look up words. This way it prepares me better for the exam, and as I do more essays, I'll cut down the number of words.

Other things -
Today, or really this morning, I've done a few more things. I spent about an hour writing my short story, which I post every Sunday on WattPad. That's my big hobby, and I like keeping up my writing whilst learning more words. Now that I don't have to do English in school, I enjoy the aspects of the subject a lot more. I do loads of creative writing, reading and essay writing now.
I'm also planning on practicing my violin today. I'm doing my Grade 5 in March, so I need to really get grasping the scales and pieces properly now. I can play them all, but it needs to be perfect really.

Week Plan :
Chemistry: Get through a few chapters and highlight the biggest problems I have. Do all the summary questions possible. If this is completed then get past paper questions to do.
French: Learn vocab and learn how to form the past historic (aka. the most stupid tense ever created).
RE: Research more opinions on Soul, Mind and Body. Create a powerpoint on this and then write an essay on it. I feel this needs to be looked at as it was my lowest mark on an essay out of the 3 in the exam.
Geography: Go over Urban Microclimates, because that stuff really just doesn't sit with me!
Homework: Finish French and Geography essay. Make sure that all Geography work is done, given my teacher has been off all week. Do all the chemistry work given for our cover.

Tune in next week to see how miserably I will have failed at all of these goals.... :tongue:

yay an update!! which exam board are you on for chem?? I'm on AQA :smile: we can help each other out!!

good luck with your goals!! vocab is definitely difficult compared to grammar :yep: (it's mainly because I'm a lazy person and memorization is effort so...)

ps. Will post again next week to remind you to post!!
Original post by nyxnko_
yay an update!! which exam board are you on for chem?? I'm on AQA :smile: we can help each other out!!

good luck with your goals!! vocab is definitely difficult compared to grammar :yep: (it's mainly because I'm a lazy person and memorization is effort so...)

ps. Will post again next week to remind you to post!!

I'm on AQA too so help would be amazing! Thank you for the reminder 😁
Reply 9
I'm on AQA too so help would be amazing! Thank you for the reminder 😁

:hugs: no problem :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
UPDATE #2
Monday, 22nd January 2018
27042716_1920759751285298_1299006566_n.jpg
I did work! I did lots of work actually. I completely went over the Urban Microclimate stuff which I really just didn't get. I also finished all my homework, including one French essay! As well as that, I have my work to do for RE with me right now, and I'm ready to get started. I've learned the French vocab too. It's been a productive day and I'm so happy about it... will it continue though? Nobody knows.

Plan Onwards:
Chemistry: Revise another topic and summarise. Maths questions are preferred.
RE: Do the Soul, Mind and Body work I already outlined. Also try to do work on Situation Ethics, given I am sure we never completed that.
French: Sort out my folder and get the past historic notes.
Geography: Pre-read to the end of Urbanisation so everything is already there.

Also reminder to me: Pick up violin from school - I can't practice otherwise!
Michelle08

x

you posted on monday so do i still remind you??
but... i'm posting your weekly reminder a day early!! :biggrin:
UPDATE #2
Monday, 22nd January 2018
27042716_1920759751285298_1299006566_n.jpg
I did work! I did lots of work actually. I completely went over the Urban Microclimate stuff which I really just didn't get. I also finished all my homework, including one French essay! As well as that, I have my work to do for RE with me right now, and I'm ready to get started. I've learned the French vocab too. It's been a productive day and I'm so happy about it... will it continue though? Nobody knows.

Plan Onwards:
Chemistry: Revise another topic and summarise. Maths questions are preferred.
RE: Do the Soul, Mind and Body work I already outlined. Also try to do work on Situation Ethics, given I am sure we never completed that.
French: Sort out my folder and get the past historic notes.
Geography: Pre-read to the end of Urbanisation so everything is already there.

Also reminder to me: Pick up violin from school - I can't practice otherwise!

what grade are you on the violin? :smile:
Original post by nyxnko_
you posted on monday so do i still remind you??
but... i'm posting your weekly reminder a day early!! :biggrin:

Thanks for the reminder regardless! Just remind me every Saturday - I should be productive on the weekend no matter what!

Original post by clouddbubbles
what grade are you on the violin? :smile:

I am taking my Grade 5 in March... I'm not prepared though :/
UPDATE #3
Saturday 27/01/2018
Since Monday, I've not done all that much work. I've been busy with a variety of things, but I've had a 3 day weekend, so I did loads of work today (it was an excuse to not leave the house!)
French:
The first piece of work I did today was French. I did a sheet on the Past Historic, which may I add is a stupid tense - what is the point?! It's only used in formal writing. I've decided I'm going to learn it for my essays, because I need to show off and I'm much better at grammar than at vocab. I then just did my general French homework which was pretty boring.
27394216_1926520117375928_2073878359_n.jpg
RE:I probably did the most for RE. I did loads of work on OneNote (would highly recommend btw!), and I created all the revision notes I need generally for 2 topics. I'll probably update them at later dates with more opinions and questions, but I'm proud of what I've done so far!
Chemistry:
I did a few maths questions. It wasn't much, but it did clear up how to do the simplest Ideal Gas Equation questions and some Enthalpy of Combustion questions. I need to work on it a bit more, but i think next week I'll focus on less-mathsy topics.

I didn't do any Geography because I feel the most ahead with this.

To Do List:
Chemistry: Do the next two chapters and learn. Maybe create a quiz to make sure I do know what I'm 'learning'.
French: I want to write an essay or two in the next couple of days. I also want to learn a bit of vocab, given this is my weak spot.
Geography: Read forward and make some notes. Make sure you finish Urbanisation before Half-Term.
RS: Do the extra reading and make a few notes on it.

I'm going to make a tag list... say if you want to be added, or even removed

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
I am taking my Grade 5 in March... I'm not prepared though :/

Ooh I’m doing grade 5 soon too!

which exam boards?
Ooh I’m doing grade 5 soon too!

which exam boards?

I think I'm doing ABRSM - given that's the only board I can name, I'm fairly certain it must be that one! :biggrin:
I think I'm doing ABRSM - given that's the only board I can name, I'm fairly certain it must be that one! :biggrin:

ahh I’m doing trinity :yep:
UPDATE #3
Saturday 27/01/2018
Since Monday, I've not done all that much work. I've been busy with a variety of things, but I've had a 3 day weekend, so I did loads of work today (it was an excuse to not leave the house!)
French:
The first piece of work I did today was French. I did a sheet on the Past Historic, which may I add is a stupid tense - what is the point?! It's only used in formal writing. I've decided I'm going to learn it for my essays, because I need to show off and I'm much better at grammar than at vocab. I then just did my general French homework which was pretty boring.
27394216_1926520117375928_2073878359_n.jpg
RE:I probably did the most for RE. I did loads of work on OneNote (would highly recommend btw!), and I created all the revision notes I need generally for 2 topics. I'll probably update them at later dates with more opinions and questions, but I'm proud of what I've done so far!
Chemistry:
I did a few maths questions. It wasn't much, but it did clear up how to do the simplest Ideal Gas Equation questions and some Enthalpy of Combustion questions. I need to work on it a bit more, but i think next week I'll focus on less-mathsy topics.

I didn't do any Geography because I feel the most ahead with this.

To Do List:
Chemistry: Do the next two chapters and learn. Maybe create a quiz to make sure I do know what I'm 'learning'.
French: I want to write an essay or two in the next couple of days. I also want to learn a bit of vocab, given this is my weak spot.
Geography: Read forward and make some notes. Make sure you finish Urbanisation before Half-Term.
RS: Do the extra reading and make a few notes on it.

I'm going to make a tag list... say if you want to be added, or even removed

Spoiler

btw for chem use chem revise u literally dont need anything else tbh
literally just do pastpapers all the mark schemes are the same
ahh I’m doing trinity :yep:

Oh! I've heard of that one. My school only lets us do ABRSM, but in the past we've tried to convince them to change to Trinity because then we wouldn't have to do Grade 5 Theory

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending