The Student Room Group

Should I watch Harry Potter?

Ive been accepted to Cambridge I'm told I should watch Harry Potter since that's the #1 fantasy of most people who apply. Is it worth all the hype? Should I stop at a certain film?

Scroll to see replies

Congrats on Cambridge. Harry Potter is one of my favourite movie franchises of all time, so yeah i think that it's worth the hype. Why dont you give the movies a go and then see how you like it? Movie 3 is where it's start to get a bit serious.
Just watch the first one and then if you find it interesting watch the next and keep doing the same thing. Though I recommend you read the book after each movie too, It will be great for your understanding of English Literature!
Original post by Miss.Unknow
Congrats on Cambridge. Harry Potter is one of my favourite movie franchises of all time, so yeah i think that it's worth the hype. Why dont you give the movies a go and then see how you like it? Movie 3 is where it's start to get a bit serious.

#Respect:wink:
Reply 4
Harry Potter recently got a re-release in UHD Bluray. Well worth the watch :wizard2:
Harry Potter is definitely one of those franchises you have to grow up with (at least that's what I think). Remember most people grew up with characters and at this point you are outside of the target audience. when watching the film's (especially the first few) remember that they are over a decade old so the effects are quite dated now.
How tf have you not seen Harry Potter? :redface:
Reply 7
That's like asking 'should I send my teacher nudes?' Obviously.
Harry Potter movies are really great. You mist watch it.
The only Harry Potter films worth watching are the first two, and even those weren't perfect.
Read the books, they're much better.

Although, if you've been accepted into Cambridge, what does it matter which fantasy series you like? Don't get me wrong, Harry Potter is a really good very accessible series, I grew up with it and love it, but it's hardly the be all and end all of fantasy.
(edited 6 years ago)
I enjoyed the first 3 (particularly the first two) after that I felt they got a bit boring. Goblet of fire was ok the rest I found meh.

Plenty of people adored all of them though.

look them up and see what you think and if it seems to be your taste, watch them, if not don't.

life too short to be watch films because someone else said you should or because it's.popular
(edited 6 years ago)
Start from the last film to the first
It's much better 😏
Original post by BigGuyAkhenaten
Ive been accepted to Cambridge I'm told I should watch Harry Potter since that's the #1 fantasy of most people who apply. Is it worth all the hype? Should I stop at a certain film?

Maybe watch the first one. I can see the association as the premise of Harry Potter is that it's based on an institution for 'specially gifted' individuals who look down on everyone else who are described as 'muggles' (if I've got that right, it's been a while).
You should definitely watch Harry Potter, it's really good:smile:
READ THE BOOKS FIRST. I like the films, but if I hadn't loved the books first I wouldn't have thought they were that great, especially the first one. & you just miss so much that's in the books, the films are a bit rushed imo.
Original post by niamhsrevision
READ THE BOOKS FIRST. I like the films, but if I hadn't loved the books first I wouldn't have thought they were that great, especially the first one. & you just miss so much that's in the books, the films are a bit rushed imo.

the books are just so much better than the films! :smile:
Absolutely. HP is life changing.
Original post by hxnxy
Absolutely. HP is life changing.

agreed! it’d be great if someone were to make a Harry Potter forum or something that’s actually recent instead of ancient :smile:
Original post by ellaswords
agreed! it’d be great if someone were to make a Harry Potter forum or something that’s actually recent instead of ancient :smile:

Definitely! I just re-read the books too :smile:

Quick Reply