The Student Room Group

Do you want a second referendum on brexit?

Scroll to see replies

As a Remain voter, no.

The ‘remoaner’ tribe absolutely sickens me frankly and as well as other reasons I would vote Leave if it was played out again.
Absolutely. It only makes sense to allow the public to vote when the nature of Brexit is clear. They had no idea what they were voting for on 23rd.
I'm still somewhat undecided as there are three possible future options (take the negotiated deal/leave EU without a deal/remain a member of the EU) and referenda are most clear with binary options. I think if there is another referendum then it needs to have an option that would stop Brexit rather than just 'deal' or 'no deal'. Brexit doesn't have to happen if enough people realise that it's not in our interest to isolate ourselves from our closest neighbours.
I think we should have another referendum to when a deal is properly on the table so a decision with appropriate information is made.
Original post by Napp
More people didnt vote for Brexit than did...

I know that there were people who didn’t vote but they chose not to have a voice/say in this decision for whatever reason.

What I mean is, those who decided to have a say, mostly chose to leave the Eu:smile:
only call a referendum if you know what the answer will be: Mr Cameron please take note.
Original post by cat_mac
No, we can’t just call a referendum when we don’t like the outcome.

If the majority is now "we" then a referendum should be held.
Original post by cat_mac
No, we can’t just call a referendum when we don’t like the outcome. We already look like pricks, if we went through all this just to be like “actually m8, think we’ll stay in the EU ta” and run off with our tail between our legs, we’ll be SUPER pricks.

We made a decision, we need to stick to it and focus on getting the best deal possible rather than being throwing our toys out the pram.

Sadly that may not happen.
A hard Brexit seems very likely in my opinion.
Original post by m-k1
Not necessarily true, 1 million people regret their EU decision and this would be the difference between leave and remain

I do see your point, however you cannot go through the referendum process a second time just for those people who didn’t do enough research or whatnot and didn’t think of some of the consequences that are happening now. In every decision, there will be people who wish they had chosen differently, and there will be unforeseen consequences and winners and losers.
Point is, the majority of people voted to leave and it would be a mistake to ignore that for the sake of the people who voted but don’t like what’s happening now as a cause of Brexit:smile:
Original post by ErinaNakiri78
I personally, want a second referendum on brexit because when/ if the UK make it official that we left the EU, I think it will affect us for the worse more than people may think.
However, I wanted to see other people's opinions on this...

People need to wake up to reality, people knew what they voted for the British community is not stupid we all knew what Brexit was an what it would do but certain people to some extents.

I do not agree with the point of a second referendum because it defeats the purpose of the first referendum and there would also be a lower turnout and more controversy and debate.

THE EU REFERENDUM WAS A ONCE IN A GENERATION VOTE!
Original post by Conceited
Absolutely. It only makes sense to allow the public to vote when the nature of Brexit is clear. They had no idea what they were voting for on 23rd.

Absolutely. The remain camp rubbished the idea that there would be an EU Army, yet a year later - here we are.

Never mind not knowing what happens if we leave, we have no idea what happens if we stay.

Let's get out and hope this fetid, stinking, anti-democratic cabal that is the EU disappears into the dustbin of history.
Original post by SilverWater
If the majority is now "we" then a referendum should be held.

How do we determine that the majority is now ‘we’? We don’t call a referendum or election when a lot of people have complained about something on social media.

What happens if we have the referendum stay in the EU, then everyone decided ‘actually, we should’ve stuck to our guns’ do we have another referendum? Who determines the point at which something is majorly opposed enough to call a referendum?
Surely we should honour the first referendum before we have another one.

BTW. What are we supposed to be negotiating with the eu?
Original post by Bulletzone
Sadly that may not happen.
A hard Brexit seems very likely in my opinion.

I meant it in a more “best deal we can get from the situation we’re in” rather than “candyfloss for everyone and a wall around the country” haha. I don’t think we’re going to get anywhere close to the brexit campaign’s dream, but pushing through is better than backing out IMO.
Original post by Student-95
I can see the sense in having one before accepting the final deal because it might be crap.

It might be, but we can walk away with no deal and all obligations cease.

The people have already voted to leave the EU, and then for a government to negotiate the deal. So either the best deal they can get is good enough, or we leave without one following the instruction of democracy.
Original post by Hatter_2
It might be, but we can walk away with no deal and all obligations cease.

The people have already voted to leave the EU, and then for a government to negotiate the deal. So either the best deal they can get is good enough, or we leave without one following the instruction of democracy.

People who voted leave might not want to leave anymore if they don't like the conditions in the deal.
Reply 36
Original post by Anna1029
I know that there were people who didn’t vote but they chose not to have a voice/say in this decision for whatever reason.

What I mean is, those who decided to have a say, mostly chose to leave the Eu:smile:

It still doesnt negate the fact that more people did not vote to leave the EU.

At any rate I maintain that, like most other countries, such a decision should only go ahead with a super-majority. A 4% difference is overly flimsy for such a profound change. Especially as both campaigns lied through their teeth.
Original post by cat_mac
No, we can’t just call a referendum when we don’t like the outcome.

Original post by cat_mac
How do we determine that the majority is now ‘we’? ?

"We" can be determined by a referendum:lol:

Original post by cat_mac
We already look like pricks,

How can "we" determine that we look like pricks? We see the offer that was given, had second thoughts and decided its better to remain. I don't see a problem with that.

Original post by cat_mac

What happens if we have the referendum stay in the EU, then everyone decided ‘actually, we should’ve stuck to our guns’ do we have another referendum?

Difference between the referendum then and now is that more information is now available to everyone so more people will make a sound decision which could potentially sway the decision either way.
Original post by SilverWater
Difference between the referendum then and now is that more information is now available to everyone so more people will make a sound decision which could potentially sway the decision either way.

Focusing my use of ‘we’ more than my actual point 🙄

My “how do we determine the majority” was my point, you said “if the majority is now “we” then a referendum should be held” so you want to hold a referendum to determine if we need a referendum?

The original referendum was based on “what ifs”, in an ideal world it’d be nice for everyone to have a plan A&B button to push with clear “stay or leave” policies and what exactly will happen.

I don’t think a referendum is the way to go about getting the public’s input this time. I don’t have another suggestion though!
Just let them have their cry it’s been going on for 18 months.

We’re leaving there’s nothing anyone can do to stop it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending