The Student Room Group

Biomedical Engineering and Medical Engineering, difference?

Is there a difference between the two courses? On UCAS I get different results for the courses so I was wondering if there actually is a difference or...
Reply 1
They are the same course but different universities will call it by different names. What I suggest is that you compare the course information and outline of degree for each university. I believe that 'Biomedical Engineering' is the more common name. I applied for Biomedical Engineering at Imperial College last year and received an offer so if you need any advice regarding the admissions process, feel free to PM me.
Original post by astro17
They are the same course but different universities will call it by different names. What I suggest is that you compare the course information and outline of degree for each university. I believe that 'Biomedical Engineering' is the more common name. I applied for Biomedical Engineering at Imperial College last year and received an offer so if you need any advice regarding the admissions process, feel free to PM me.

Could please answer my question too? I don't know where else to ask.
I have been meaning to apply for pure chemistry this ucas cycle but after taking up fast track physics during my gap year, I have been considering the option of doing bioengineering course because I like physics so much now. At sheffield they do chemistry with bio or chemical engineering, and they don't require physics at a level. I currently have an A in Maths (83/100 c1, 100/100 in c2, 97/100 in c3, 72/100 c4, 63/100 s1, 73/100 d1), an A in chemistry and an A in biology. Do you think they will think I am too dumb to apply for an bioengineering course with these relatively soft subjects? Most applicants have further, maths (and they get an A* in it) and physics. Which unis are good for bioengineering and physics at level isn't a necessary requirement (although I am working towards acheiving an a level in it) for them?
Reply 3
Original post by nothepreacher
Could please answer my question too? I don't know where else to ask.
I have been meaning to apply for pure chemistry this ucas cycle but after taking up fast track physics during my gap year, I have been considering the option of doing bioengineering course because I like physics so much now. At sheffield they do chemistry with bio or chemical engineering, and they don't require physics at a level. I currently have an A in Maths (83/100 c1, 100/100 in c2, 97/100 in c3, 72/100 c4, 63/100 s1, 73/100 d1), an A in chemistry and an A in biology. Do you think they will think I am too dumb to apply for an bioengineering course with these relatively soft subjects? Most applicants have further, maths (and they get an A* in it) and physics. Which unis are good for bioengineering and physics at level isn't a necessary requirement (although I am working towards acheiving an a level in it) for them?

Hey there. Maths, chemistry and biology are definitely not soft subjects so don't worry about that!

I know that Queen Mary offer medical engineering, the requirements are maths and at least 1 science which you have. UCL and Kings do bioengineering, but I think they want maths and physics. But since you're planning on doing physics on your gap year, I don't see why they wouldn't give you an offer.

You definitely need to call each university before you apply though. Just to make sure they'd accept doing the physics alevel in a gap year.
Reply 4
Hi, I'm applying for Biomedical engineering at imperial this year and have got an interview on the 27th of November. Did you have to do this and if so, is the interview hard? Do they ask you lots of physics and maths questions?
Reply 5
Hey can I please ask what a levels you did? Because I'm considering changing one of mine to physics in order to do bioengineering but I don't know if this is necessary - I would then be doing maths chem bio physics. Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by Fia80
Hey can I please ask what a levels you did? Because I'm considering changing one of mine to physics in order to do bioengineering but I don't know if this is necessary - I would then be doing maths chem bio physics. Thanks

You are replying to an old thread and it's unlikely the previous posters are still active on TSR.

Check the entry requirements at universities you are interested in. What is your 4th Alevel choice at the moment?

You only need three...

Physics is always going to be useful, but probably not required for bioengineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fia80

Original post by Doonesbury
You are replying to an old thread and it's unlikely the previous posters are still active on TSR.

Check the entry requirements at universities you are interested in. What is your 4th Alevel choice at the moment?

You only need three...

Physics is always going to be useful, but probably not required for bioengineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on the course, although in general Medical and Biomedical Engineering courses are similar and require Maths and Physics. Bioengineering often tends towards agricultural engineering or biochemical engineering/biotechnology type courses, the former of which are uncommon in the UK, and the latter of which are usually taught in partnership with/through the department of chemical engineering in the relevant universities, and thus are usually more "chemically oriented" and more likely to accept chemistry in lieu of physics.

You should check the entry criteria for the specific courses you're considering applying for, and if you're unsure contact the universities in question directly.
Hey, I'm doing bio, chem and maths A-levels, I'm not doing physics. I've gotten offers for Biomedical Engineering at Leeds (Medical Engineering), Queen Mary's, Southampton (Biomedical electronic engineering), Cardiff and City Uni of London. But if you want to go to unis such as Imperial, UCL, King's College then pick physics as they do require it. I didn't pick physics because I find it to be the most difficult from the sciences. But all the uni's defo require maths and one science. Hope this helps :smile:

Original post by Fia80
Original post by check.mate
Hope this helps :smile:

They asked 5 months ago so it probably doesn't.
...It was worth a try
Original post by Student-95
They asked 5 months ago so it probably doesn't.
Reply 11
Hi I have an interview coming up... would love to know your thoughts about what is good about the course?Also what questions did you get at the interview?

Quick Reply

Latest