The Student Room Group

LAW: UCL vs LSE vs King's - WHICH WOULD YOU RECOMMEND?

I am in my first year of A levels (studying Biology, History and Eng Lit) and i really want to study in London. I am planing on taking law.

I have heard a lot about LSE being superior to UCL and King's in terms of job prospects, however this obviously coincides with the higher entry requirements.

My GCSE grades are: A*A*A*A*A*AAAAAB and i have not been predicted any A level grades yet, however my benchmark grades are 3 A's (hopefully i can get A*A*A).

I was just wondering if it would be worth applying for LSE? I am extremely interested in law and have done a lot of work experience and can prove my interest in the subject.

Many thanks for any information

Scroll to see replies

Hate to be rude but LSE probably won’t look at your application based on your GCSE grades, however UCL has really been picking up steam these past few years, with the university outperforming LSE in many areas. Since they receive a lot of government funding, they can afford to be very selective as well.

Kings is worth considering, but it’s not in the same league as the other 2.

Good luck!
It won't be a better experience for everyone.

A generally unhelpful post from someone who not studied at any of the four institutions mentioned.
Reply 3
Original post by lowkeybuthighkey
Hate to be rude but LSE probably won’t look at your application based on your GCSE grades, however UCL has really been picking up steam these past few years, with the university outperforming LSE in many areas. Since they receive a lot of government funding, they can afford to be very selective as well.

Good luck!

Hey! i know they wouldn't, however i was just stating them as they're the only certificated academic achievements i have so far.

Thank you very much for the reply! UCL does look very interesting and is, in my opinion from research, more diverse and is not a university only interested in sending its students into extremely soulless, yet lucrative professions (I know that's a rather harsh accusation but that's the impression I'm getting)

Many thanks!
GCSEs are good enough for LSE, you should aim to get A*A*A prediction just so you exceed their requirement given how competitive it is.

Good luck!

He has 5A*s and many As, of course LSE will look at his application. I've seen applicants with worse GCSE's who have got in, it depends on both the context of those grades and the quality of the personal statement he writes.

Also, Toward the OP, I think where you apply to depends on what you think your strong suit is. If you think you are more strong academically in terms of grades I would say apply to LSE, whereas if you feel like you could do well in the LNAT and have skills in comphrehension and essay writing I would say apply to UCL. I don't think there is much difference between the institutions so I guess it depends on what I have said above, plus personal preference
(edited 6 years ago)

Good luck!

Hate to be rude, but **** me. You couldn't be more delusional if you think that LSE won't consider OP's GCSEs.
I agree with gddssssfasass (or whatever his/her username is :fisheye:). To quote from LSE's webpage,

As competition for places at LSE is intense, we look for applicants who have achieved highly at GCSE (multiple A or A* grades), particularly within the context of their school.

OP's grades satisfy this condition (multiple A or A* grades). Also, in UCAS you get to apply to 5 places, so if you apply to LSE and they turn you down, you still have 4 more left!

As for which of LSE/UCL/King's is the best for law, I'm afraid I have no idea.
lol, Oxbridge reject detected
UCL or LSE.

What did I tell you? It's a thing.
Original post by joeoj
I am in my first year of A levels (studying Biology, History and Eng Lit) and i really want to study in London. I am planing on taking law.

I have heard a lot about LSE being superior to UCL and King's in terms of job prospects, however this obviously coincides with the higher entry requirements.

My GCSE grades are: A*A*A*A*A*AAAAAB and i have not been predicted any A level grades yet, however my benchmark grades are 3 A's (hopefully i can get A*A*A).

I was just wondering if it would be worth applying for LSE? I am extremely interested in law and have done a lot of work experience and can prove my interest in the subject.

Many thanks for any information

Come back when you have offers; this will just cause potentially, unnecessary debate
I have no idea why your spreading Durham propaganda when we all know you got rejected from Oxbridge.

Good luck!

Your GCSEs are perfectly good enough to apply.

Personally, I don't think there's a huge difference between UCL and LSE for law - I recently attended a first year event at a top London law firm, and the only London universities from which they invited students were UCL and LSE.
Agree that Durham looks like a better student experience but you're a business (mickey mouse) student so why are you always hanging about in the Law section?
Thanks for sharing these statistics; I had wondered what the average number of A*s a successful LSE applicant had and had tried (unsuccessfully) to find out before posting my answer.

Do you happen to have similar statistics for other institutions? (For example, Imperial, Oxbridge, etc. etc.)
Oh about that, I got one back from Sheffield. Average entry for them is 391, UEA is 410.

They claimed that it was not fair to expect them to disclose commercially sensitive information which their private body rivals could use to their advantage without being under a similar duty to disclose. Quite imaginative way of saying "we are too embarrassed to tell you, and no one would apply if they knew we only took in BBB and BBC students". For some reason LSE and UCL did not use that excuse.
Original post by theOldBean
Thanks for sharing these statistics; I had wondered what the average number of A*s a successful LSE applicant had and had tried (unsuccessfully) to find out before posting my answer.

Do you happen to have similar statistics for other institutions? (For example, Imperial, Oxbridge, etc. etc.)

Oxford has an average of ~7A*. This probably goes to about 8 for Law (my guess). Cambridge would vary a lot more since GCSEs aren't weighted as much.

There is no easily accessible data for Imperial. Some FOI requests have been made, but rejected every time as the GCSEs themselves are located in applicant profiles and require checking manually, they don't have a separate database for them, because they don't really value them. Anecdotally, I'd imagine it's 5-6A* as the average, though this is correlation of getting high A Level grades, rather than a requirement.
My guess was pretty good tbf :biggrin:

It's interesting Cambridge applicants have better GCSEs than Ox applicants on average for Law.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending