The Student Room Group

Please help with my eng lit gcse essay

title
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
I am only attaining level 4's at the moment, this is the link to the question/extract:
(MACBETH)

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/English%20Literature/2015/specification-and-sample-assesment/English-A-SAM-Literature-Collation-WEB-ISBN9781446914380.pdf

Explore how Shakespeare presents the character of Lady Macbeth as being in control in this extract. Refer closely to the extract in your answer.
Reply 2
you need an intro and a conclusion. also use the P. Q. E. E. technique (point, quote, explanation and evaluation) which will get you a good grade :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Patpsbl
you need an intro and a conclusion. also use the P. Q. E. E. technique (point, quote, explanation and evaluation) which will get you a good grade :smile:

Thankyou, see i dont know if that applies to GCSE, it's an extract question and i have always been told that intros and conclusions aren't needed, but if they are i will certainly do that!

this was the question btw:

Explore how Shakespeare presents the character of Lady Macbeth as being in control in this extract. Refer closely to the extract in your answer.

And it is out of 20 marks.
Original post by kerianne
Thankyou, see i dont know if that applies to GCSE, it's an extract question and i have always been told that intros and conclusions aren't needed, but if they are i will certainly do that!

this was the question btw:

And it is out of 20 marks.

isn't out of 30 marks?
Reply 5
Original post by sophia13
isn't out of 30 marks?

Oh is it?
I thought edexcel paper 1 question 1a is 20 marks, i might be wrong.
Oh is it?
I thought edexcel paper 1 question 1a is 20 marks, i might be wrong.

oh sorry i do aqa so it might be different.
Reply 7
oh sorry i do aqa so it might be different.

ah okay, i struggle so much with english, i only got a 4 in my mocks, yet i am predicted 8's?? whaaat
Reply 8
I mean I always found it helpful to do an intro even if it is one line to help the examiner. also try to embed the quotes in your phrases e.g.: instead of Lady Macbeth says..... say 'Lady Macbeth feels "shame to wear a heart so white" meaning that...'
Reply 9
Original post by Patpsbl
I mean I always found it helpful to do an intro even if it is one line to help the examiner. also try to embed the quotes in your phrases e.g.: instead of Lady Macbeth says..... say 'Lady Macbeth feels "shame to wear a heart so white" meaning that...'

ah yeah! good point, thankyou so much.
ah okay, i struggle so much with english, i only got a 4 in my mocks, yet i am predicted 8's?? whaaat

That's amazing. My target grade is a 6 in re and i do pretty good in re but some people in my class do ok in re and their target is an 8. It sounds egoistic but the target grade makes me feel like i can't do well in re despite putting effort in it and getting good grades. It's just disheartening but oh well. Who knows im sure you will do well in english.

Considering your predicted 4's, your doing pretty good tbh. You don't need an intro or a conclusion at GCSE. Just have a clear structure fot the question. I've learnt PEAL-Point, Evidence, Analysis(zooming in on the quote), and then Link, but then again I'm doing AQA. I find it's also handy to have the mark scheme with you, which you can download as a pdf document:smile:
Reply 12
That's amazing. My target grade is a 6 in re and i do pretty good in re but some people in my class do ok in re and their target is an 8. It sounds egoistic but the target grade makes me feel like i can't do well in re despite putting effort in it and getting good grades. It's just disheartening but oh well. Who knows im sure you will do well in english.

I don't do RE, but some of my friends do and they're attaining 8/9, yet their target grades are 5/6.

Honestly, target grades are useless in my opinion, since you should only aim for your best. There's no way I am going to get an 8, when i recently got a 4, and I am a few months away from real exams. However, I still am gonna try my best. It doesn't sound egoistic at all, just revise and do your very best!
Reply 13
Original post by osnapitzibby
Considering your predicted 4's, your doing pretty good tbh. You don't need an intro or a conclusion at GCSE. Just have a clear structure fot the question. I've learnt PEAL-Point, Evidence, Analysis(zooming in on the quote), and then Link, but then again I'm doing AQA. I find it's also handy to have the mark scheme with you, which you can download as a pdf document:smile:

I'm predicted an 8, but I only got a 4 in my mock. I don't know whether that's because my English teacher marks harshly(stupid excuse for my bad grade I know), or I am actually really bad. We get taught to do PEEZAE (POINT, EVIDENCE, EXPLANATION, ZOOM, AUTHOR'S INTENTION, EFFECT ON READER). Also, English is really subjective, so I always get so worried when i get my mark back, but thanks for the advice!
I don't do RE, but some of my friends do and they're attaining 8/9, yet their target grades are 5/6.

Honestly, target grades are useless in my opinion, since you should only aim for your best. There's no way I am going to get an 8, when i recently got a 4, and I am a few months away from real exams. However, I still am gonna try my best. It doesn't sound egoistic at all, just revise and do your very best!

thank you very much. I love your positive thinking. And hopefully you will smash that english exam.

Good luck.:smile:
Reply 15
thank you very much. I love your positive thinking. And hopefully you will smash that english exam.

Good luck.:smile:

Ah thankyou! good luck to you too with your RE exam!
I'm predicted an 8, but I only got a 4 in my mock. I don't know whether that's because my English teacher marks harshly(stupid excuse for my bad grade I know), or I am actually really bad. We get taught to do PEEZAE (POINT, EVIDENCE, EXPLANATION, ZOOM, AUTHOR'S INTENTION, EFFECT ON READER). Also, English is really subjective, so I always get so worried when i get my mark back, but thanks for the advice!

The above answer(according to AQA) is at least a Grade 6, if not 7. Idk how your teacher marks but it isn't right
Reply 17
Original post by osnapitzibby
The above answer(according to AQA) is at least a Grade 6, if not 7. Idk how your teacher marks but it isn't right

Really? Oh I wish i was doing AQA now haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending