The Student Room Group
How long have you had it for? Do other people know? Does it hurt pulling out your hair? Do you want treatment?
Reply 2
Omg I used to have that :frown: Its caused by anxiety, you need to get yourself a counselor or therapist if you don't want to talk to family members about it. even then some professional help really does work. how old are you?
Reply 3
Does it not hurt enough for you to stop doing it to yourself :wtf: ?
Reply 4
Original post by pippa2.1
How long have you had it for? Do other people know? Does it hurt pulling out your hair? Do you want treatment?

i've had it for about 7 years now (since i was 8 maybe)

:frown: it doesn't hurt at all. it just feels nice which makes it worse

my family knows and i'm sure other people have noticed before but have said nothing, except my uncle who casually made fun of me for it

of course i want treatment, but there's no such thing. the only thing i can do it is cover my head in a hijab (im muslim) but sometimes the temptation is so strong that i take it off and start pulling.
Reply 5
Original post by Texxers
Does it not hurt enough for you to stop doing it to yourself :wtf: ?

of course not. it doesn't hurt at all!! it feels good :frown:(
Reply 6
Original post by Allie4
Omg I used to have that :frown: Its caused by anxiety, you need to get yourself a counselor or therapist if you don't want to talk to family members about it. even then some professional help really does work. how old are you?

im happy for you (that you've stopped). you're right it is caused by anxiety. i've actually stopped for over a month, but then my english/drama teacher assigned the class a dumb final project where we have to give a persuasive speech to 30 people! i'm presenting tomorrow! i can't sleep because of it and i stay up all night just pulling my hair and crying. i'm not confident about my persuasive speech and i have to look stupid in front of everyone!!!

i'm only 15 so i can't get a counselor/therapist on my own without my parents knowing. i said i have not talked to anyone about this but that's not true. i have talked about it before to my family but they just yelled at me and told me to just stop! and threatened me. they don't understand. my dad said, "if you don't stop, i won't ever talk to you again," and, "if you don't stop, you won't ever get married!" so they're not very helpful. i'm a muslim girl so i don't even want to get married, because marriage in islam is absolutely disgustingly inhumane. the women are just slaves. so yeah i don't trust my family and i don't talk to them about it anymore, unless they catch me pulling under my blanket or something

i think they did take me to a doctor when i was young. needless to say it didn't work
Reply 7
Original post by imhated
im happy for you (that you've stopped). you're right it is caused by anxiety. i've actually stopped for over a month, but then my english/drama teacher assigned the class a dumb final project where we have to give a persuasive speech to 30 people! i'm presenting tomorrow! i can't sleep because of it and i stay up all night just pulling my hair and crying. i'm not confident about my persuasive speech and i have to look stupid in front of everyone!!!

i'm only 15 so i can't get a counselor/therapist on my own without my parents knowing. i said i have not talked to anyone about this but that's not true. i have talked about it before to my family but they just yelled at me and told me to just stop! and threatened me. they don't understand. my dad said, "if you don't stop, i won't ever talk to you again," and, "if you don't stop, you won't ever get married!" so they're not very helpful. i'm a muslim girl so i don't even want to get married, because marriage in islam is absolutely disgustingly inhumane. the women are just slaves. so yeah i don't trust my family and i don't talk to them about it anymore, unless they catch me pulling under my blanket or something

i think they did take me to a doctor when i was young. needless to say it didn't work

try again, you were younger back then. a doctor is not the same, you will have to go to the doctor in order for them to send you to a counsellor, go again and tell them you really need to speak to someone. demand it.

as for making the speech, ohh tell me about it. those were the worst moments for me, i hated speaking in front of people, i usually used to bunk off. even did it at uni once and almost failed my year because of it. i can't tell you how to handle the speech tomorrow (apart from wish you luck) but in order to avoid future self harming please go to the doctors again! it does work when you talk to someone...
Original post by imhated
i've never talked to anyone about it before

Same! I now have no eyelashes at the edge of my eyes and baby hairs growing at the back of my head as I pulled them out in Year 6. I regret it as I can't have my hair down because of something I did 4 years ago.
Simple solution, shave your hair off
Original post by imhated
i've never talked to anyone about it before

i kinda have this too but sometimes i stop and sometimes i do it a lot its frustrating and i pull my eyelashes off a LOT hope you get better
Reply 11
Original post by TryHardNoob
Simple solution, shave your hair off

sigh. no such thing. its not allowed in islam and i'd look bad
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by sam717
i kinda have this too but sometimes i stop and sometimes i do it a lot its frustrating and i pull my eyelashes off a LOT hope you get better

did anyone notice?
Original post by imhated
did anyone notice?

yup friends and family pointed out my lashes wernt as nice as the used to be its horrible
i think my friend might have this but i'm not sure (i've literally only just found out about it ha)- it seems to stack up though. she pulls out individual hairs constantly, in class, whenever i see her. she says it's because she's got split ends but has also said she's a little confused as to why she does it so much, it just feels really good. it doesn't seem too bad, although i don't see her an awful lot so idrk. does this sound plausible or am i being overdramatic?
Original post by honeyofcourse
i think my friend might have this but i'm not sure (i've literally only just found out about it ha)- it seems to stack up though. she pulls out individual hairs constantly, in class, whenever i see her. she says it's because she's got split ends but has also said she's a little confused as to why she does it so much, it just feels really good. it doesn't seem too bad, although i don't see her an awful lot so idrk. does this sound plausible or am i being overdramatic?

No, probably sounds about right :smile:
Bit of a dumb question, sorry! But do you pull the hairs out or simply just pull on your hair?
Original post by laurawatt
No, probably sounds about right :smile:

thanks! i guess i'll talk to her about it :')
Reply 18
Original post by wastedcuriosity
Bit of a dumb question, sorry! But do you pull the hairs out or simply just pull on your hair?

i pull it out from the root or i find a weak spot in the hair strand (split end or something) and just tear it
It is allowed in Islam, for medical reasons. So it is allowed for you

Latest