The Student Room Group

Any advice on picking the right A-Levels?

Hi, I'm a year 11 student and I want to start sixth form this september after my GCSEs of course. Has anyone got advice for year 11s, like me, who are unsure on what A-Levels to pick?

I thought I would ask since I'm regretting what I picked for GCSEs and I don't want to do the same with my A-Level choices, especially how many people say that A-Levels are way more harder and more important than GCSEs.

Oh and I also think I want to do something in the IT sector when I'm older! If anyone has advice on A-Levels and which subjects I should pick, that would be great, thanks! :smile:
If you want to do something in IT, I'd recommend something along the lines of business and IT/compsci
Do you like maths? Pick Maths
Do you really really really like maths? And good at it? Pick further maths
Now IT sector...
I'd say Econ and then IT.

But none of that matter if you hate those subjects, don't bother choosing what I said if you hate those subjects, you won't do well if you don't like them.
maths and physics tend to be good a levels if you want to go to uni and then work in the IT sector.
Reply 4
Original post by Iconaut
If you want to do something in IT, I'd recommend something along the lines of business and IT/compsci

Yeah, I'm definately going to choose BTEC Computing Level 3 Extended Certificate. I'm not sure whether to pick BTEC Business Level 3 Extended Certificate as well because I wasn't able to choose BTEC Business to do in year 10/11 so I'm not sure if it will be too difficult.
Reply 5
Original post by Sanjith Hegde123
Do you like maths? Pick Maths
Do you really really really like maths? And good at it? Pick further maths
Now IT sector...
I'd say Econ and then IT.

But none of that matter if you hate those subjects, don't bother choosing what I said if you hate those subjects, you won't do well if you don't like them.

Haha unfortunately I hate maths, I'm so bad at it. I wish I could do Econ but my school's sixth form doesn't offer it :frown:
Original post by kashmirgosal
Hi, I'm a year 11 student and I want to start sixth form this september after my GCSEs of course. Has anyone got advice for year 11s, like me, who are unsure on what A-Levels to pick?

I thought I would ask since I'm regretting what I picked for GCSEs and I don't want to do the same with my A-Level choices, especially how many people say that A-Levels are way more harder and more important than GCSEs.

Oh and I also think I want to do something in the IT sector when I'm older! If anyone has advice on A-Levels and which subjects I should pick, that would be great, thanks! :smile:

If you're near certain that you want to do IT in the future then maybe go with a BTEC in information technology, possibly with an academic A level alongside it such as a science or maths. If you're not too sure yet, try doing A level IT alongside 2 facilitating subjects such as English literature, geography, maths etc to broaden your options. Hope this helps!
Reply 7
Original post by rosewillow
If you're near certain that you want to do IT in the future then maybe go with a BTEC in information technology, possibly with an academic A level alongside it such as a science or maths. If you're not too sure yet, try doing A level IT alongside 2 facilitating subjects such as English literature, geography, maths etc to broaden your options. Hope this helps!

Yeah I was thinking of doing these, however, my weak subject is maths and for English Lit I was told you have to do tons of reading! which is definately not for me haha. Do you think it would be ok doing BTEC ICT alongside film studies and business? or is it too technical?
Yeah I was thinking of doing these, however, my weak subject is maths and for English Lit I was told you have to do tons of reading! which is definately not for me haha. Do you think it would be ok doing BTEC ICT alongside film studies and business? or is it too technical?

I'm not too sure tbh because I'd assume that it wouldn't matter if you want a technical career in the future, but most people suggest to take different types of subjects to show off a range of skills. Maybe contact the college/sixth form about it? I'm sure they'd be able to point you in the right direction :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by rosewillow
I'm not too sure tbh because I'd assume that it wouldn't matter if you want a technical career in the future, but most people suggest to take different types of subjects to show off a range of skills. Maybe contact the college/sixth form about it? I'm sure they'd be able to point you in the right direction :smile:

Oh okayy, thank you!
Honestly I’d ignore what everyone else says. Do subjects that you love. Pick ones that sound interesting if you’ve never done them before. Alevels are difficult, let alone being difficult and you hating them. If you like the course you’re doing, you won’t mind putting in the work as it’ll be fun. Good
Luck whatever you pick!
Original post by sbrc2148
Honestly I’d ignore what everyone else says. Do subjects that you love. Pick ones that sound interesting if you’ve never done them before. Alevels are difficult, let alone being difficult and you hating them. If you like the course you’re doing, you won’t mind putting in the work as it’ll be fun. Good
Luck whatever you pick!

Yeahh you're definitely right, I just looked at your threads and I saw that you do A-Level Psychology. Can you tell me how it's like studying it? if that's ok with you. My sixth form offers A-Level psychology but I didn't really take note of it as it says that you preferably need a grade 6 (B) in maths/science to do A-level Psychology, however my predicted grades are 5s (C). So I would like to know how it is like and what you actually study/the opportunities with choosing A-level Psychology and if it you need to be really good at maths and science to do well in it.
Yeahh you're definitely right, I just looked at your threads and I saw that you do A-Level Psychology. Can you tell me how it's like studying it? if that's ok with you. My sixth form offers A-Level psychology but I didn't really take note of it as it says that you preferably need a grade 6 (B) in maths/science to do A-level Psychology, however my predicted grades are 5s (C). So I would like to know how it is like and what you actually study/the opportunities with choosing A-level Psychology and if it you need to be really good at maths and science to do well in it.

I really enjoy psychology, it’s probably my favourite alevel! I’m not going to lie, there is lots of content to learn/memorise and you have to put in the work out side of classes to remember it all but that’s the same for lots of alevels so I wouldn’t let that put you off. Plus the content is really interesting so I personally don’t mind putting in the work because it is so fascinating. There is a whole topic called “BioPsychology” so I’d say you have to have at least an okay level of science/biology knowledge to be good at that. I’m not the best at it but I can get through. And maths, it isn’t that maths based. There’s a topic called ‘Research Methods’ where you have to draw graphs and work out percentages and stuff but other than that it’s not too bad!
Reply 13
Pick at least 2 facilitating subjects (unis prefer these subjects)
I really enjoy psychology, it’s probably my favourite alevel! I’m not going to lie, there is lots of content to learn/memorise and you have to put in the work out side of classes to remember it all but that’s the same for lots of alevels so I wouldn’t let that put you off. Plus the content is really interesting so I personally don’t mind putting in the work because it is so fascinating. There is a whole topic called “BioPsychology” so I’d say you have to have at least an okay level of science/biology knowledge to be good at that. I’m not the best at it but I can get through. And maths, it isn’t that maths based. There’s a topic called ‘Research Methods’ where you have to draw graphs and work out percentages and stuff but other than that it’s not too bad!

Oh okay thank you so much! I will look into it and consider doing it. As you know I would like to work in the IT sector so I'd have to choose IT for A-Level, I was also thinking of doing Film Studies (never done it before) and Business (never done it before). But I also think it would be best for me to choose a subject that isn't so technical though, such as english, maths, history etc but I dont feel that I'm very strong at these subjects so Psychology or Religious studies could be good choices for me maybe, what do you think?
Oh okay thank you so much! I will look into it and consider doing it. As you know I would like to work in the IT sector so I'd have to choose IT for A-Level, I was also thinking of doing Film Studies (never done it before) and Business (never done it before). But I also think it would be best for me to choose a subject that isn't so technical though, such as english, maths, history etc but I dont feel that I'm very strong at these subjects so Psychology or Religious studies could be good choices for me maybe, what do you think?

Yeah I mean it’s up to you at the end of the day but I agree it might be nice to do something slightly different too to break it up a bit! Good luck!
Yeah I mean it’s up to you at the end of the day but I agree it might be nice to do something slightly different too to break it up a bit! Good luck!

Yeah, thank you so much for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest