The Student Room Group

The gender pay gap

Just want a discussion. Why does the myth that women get paid less than men for equal work still exist when it has been clearly disproven?
Original post by AlexTJM
Just want a discussion. Why does the myth that women get paid less than men for equal work still exist when it has been clearly disproven?

Because it gives feminists something to cling on to to help validate why they do what they do. The world is actually pretty even right now but of course it really isn't it's the patriarchy controlling everything (doing a crap job of protecting men this 'patriarchy' ) and well 1 more thing debunked is 1 more thing that invalidates their movement.

But I want to point out that the gap exists, it does not exist due to sexism however. It exists because women make different life choices to men, have different personality traits (generalising but true) and also pick lower paid jobs.

When you leave men and women to their own devices and their own agency they actually do different things. And that is perfectly fine and normal. As long as men and women have the freedom to do what they want to do that is the most important thing.

You will never find 50/50 men and women and total representation anywhere naturally unless it has been forced. Men and women make different life choices so this gap is nothing to worry about.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
I’m afraid that one day women will get equal pay for unequal work, which seems like what they want which is quite worrying.
Original post by AlexTJM
I’m afraid that one day women will get equal pay for unequal work, which seems like what they want which is quite worrying.

That's really what the crux of the movement is my dude. Just looking out for women.

Quick Reply

Latest