The Student Room Group

Is it okay if I change the course after applying?

I got the welcome letter from UCAS on Jan. 12, so it has been 10 days since I sent the application. Since I am an international applicant and didn't have access to a lot of info on how UCAS and UK system work, there was a misunderstanding when I applied regarding insurance and firm choices -I basically thought I could declare the unconditional offer as an insurance- and now I wonder if I still can change the course of the same university. And if so, 1) should I email to the undergraduate admission? 2) would changing the course be a disadvantage against my application?
Original post by hana.keme
I got the welcome letter from UCAS on Jan. 12, so it has been 10 days since I sent the application. Since I am an international applicant and didn't have access to a lot of info on how UCAS and UK system work, there was a misunderstanding when I applied regarding insurance and firm choices -I basically thought I could declare the unconditional offer as an insurance- and now I wonder if I still can change the course of the same university. And if so, 1) should I email to the undergraduate admission? 2) would changing the course be a disadvantage against my application?

If you need to change a university then any substitution will be flagged as Late.

If you just want to change a course but not a university then you need to ask the university concerned to make the change.

You can have an unconditional offer as your insurance choice though.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
If you need to change a university then any substitution will be flagged as Late.

If you just want to change a course but not a university then you need to ask the university concerned to make the change.

You can have an unconditional offer as your insurance choice though.

Wait... I saw on UCAS website saying “by accepting an unconditional offer you are committing to go to that uni, so you can’t make an insurance choice”. Am I misunderstanding this statement?
Wait... I saw on UCAS website saying “by accepting an unconditional offer you are committing to go to that uni, so you can’t make an insurance choice”. Am I misunderstanding this statement?

If you accept an unconditional as firm then you can’t have an insurance (because it’s not possible to miss the conditions for your firm).

If your firm offer is conditional then your insurance can be conditional or unconditional.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
If you accept an unconditional as firm then you can’t have an insurance (because it’s not possible to miss the conditions for your firm).

If your firm offer is conditional then your insurance can be conditional or unconditional.

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!! YOU LITERALLY SAVED ME FROM EMAILING TO THE UNI AND BEING MARKED AS LATE THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN. Okay that makes much more sense now. That’s what I thought at first.
OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!! YOU LITERALLY SAVED ME FROM EMAILING TO THE UNI AND BEING MARKED AS LATE THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN. Okay that makes much more sense now. That’s what I thought at first.

Though beware of an offer which is 'unconditional if firmed'. That is different to a pure unconditional offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest