The Student Room Group

Current student at the ANU and know about Sydney universities - ask me anything!

Hey everyone,

As the title says, I'm currently studying international relations at the ANU in Canberra. I'm from Sydney, so I live on-campus here. I have varying levels of knowledge of Sydney universities as well, especially USyd.

If you have any questions about uni in Australia, accommodation, IB/HSC requirements (I did the IB), using UAC, or anything else, please ask and I'll do my best to answer :smile:

ETA: clarity
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by azarrah
Hey everyone,

As the title says, I'm currently studying IR at the ANU in Canberra. I'm from Sydney, so I live on-campus here. I have varying levels of knowledge of Sydney universities as well, especially USyd.

If you have any questions about uni in Australia, accommodation, IB/HSC requirements (I did the IB), using UAC, or anything else, please ask and I'll do my best to answer :smile:

Hi :smile: What made you join TSR? Are you considering doing a postgraduate degree in the UK?
Reply 2
I applied, and received an offer, to study at the LSE. I found TSR through its personal statement collection (super useful if you're an international student who gets no help or instructions!) and then joined when I was seriously considering going to London. I've decided against it for undergrad, but perhaps postgrad there is on the cards!
Original post by azarrah
I applied, and received an offer, to study at the LSE. I found TSR through its personal statement collection (super useful if you're an international student who gets no help or instructions!) and then joined when I was seriously considering going to London. I've decided against it for undergrad, but perhaps postgrad there is on the cards!

Oh I see
Indeed TSRs personal statement collection It quite helpful.

Soo what is the student life like at ANU?
Reply 4
Like lots of universities, the student life is really what you make of it. Canberra may be the capital city of Australia, but it's definitely not the largest city, and it doesn't have the bustling 24/7 CBD that Sydney and Melbourne have. That said, it has some extremely nice areas near the university, namely Civic, which have a decent number of bars, nightclubs, and both cheap and expensive places to eat. Since most of the students live in campus colleges, you're also involved in a community which holds frequent gatherings or sometimes has parties in the courtyards/common rooms. The general exception to this is the UniLodges, which don't have that reputation, so it's totally possible to escape the college experience and gain some independence (and better food, if you're willing to cook for yourself) if you want to. Other clubs also often hold social events and parties.

Personally I don't like partying all that much, but lots of people here do, and they have said that despite what others may say about Canberra being a bit boring, it has some really good locations for a night out. It's also a relatively safe place to be drunk - not too much traffic at night and generally lots of people around to help you, if you get into trouble.

Outside of the party aspect of social life, ANU also has a fair number of groups and clubs. I'm not sure there are quite as many as, say, USyd, but there are some pretty niche interests, like the role playing society, one for people who like medieval dancing, all sorts of stuff. These clubs all hold events as well, not all of them alcoholic. The student union also puts together events, like the Budget Night Party and other random events.

Tl;dr partying is pretty good, even though Canberra isn't as big as some other cities. Your college will also hold socials. Lots of clubs, sports, and events to get involved in.

I hope this helped you!
Hi, I'm doing A-levels and I'm thinking of applying to ANU and Melbourne. I have the grades to get in, the problem is just the fee. Its a shitload of money for us international students, especially if you're not rich (like me). The fee is around 37,000AUD and I can barely get enough money for that. How much a year do you need for living costs? a friend of mine said about the same as tuition and in that case I'm screwed.

Also how good is ANU at giving out financial aid and scholarships? The majority of the scholarships are for australians and not international students which i think is ridiculous since we pay wayway more.

help me :frown:
So it was my understanding that ANU was the more or less the crown jewel of AU tertiary education, do you think this perception exists in AU, and how you think it compares to e.g. UNSW, USyd, UMelb? TSR loves it's informal rankings so I figured I'd throw in the question to begin with :tongue:

Also, is there a mature undergraduate student population there? Is it a common occurrence or more rare, and how prolific are mature UG students overall in AU do you think?
Reply 7
Hey guys, I've seen both your messages! I'm pretty busy at the moment (week before exams, hooray) but I'll respond as soon as I can :smile:
Reply 8
Hi guys, sorry for the late response. Exam period is now over so I have heaps of time to reply!

Original post by karolinaek
Hi, I'm doing A-levels and I'm thinking of applying to ANU and Melbourne. I have the grades to get in, the problem is just the fee. Its a shitload of money for us international students, especially if you're not rich (like me). The fee is around 37,000AUD and I can barely get enough money for that. How much a year do you need for living costs? a friend of mine said about the same as tuition and in that case I'm screwed.

Also how good is ANU at giving out financial aid and scholarships? The majority of the scholarships are for australians and not international students which i think is ridiculous since we pay wayway more.

help me :frown:

Hi there, unfortunately studying anywhere as an international student is expensive. I turned down studying at the LSE in London for the same reason, so I understand where you're coming from.

Living costs won't be as much as $37 000, unless you have very expensive tastes. I just did some calculations. I go home for holidays and mid-semester breaks, so I spend about 28 weeks living at uni each year. Each week, I spend about $75, though this is on the low end for most students. Add to that the 50-week accommodation contract at $250pw and I spend about $15 000 per year. That's just one person's experience, though, so here is some more information:

Living in either Melbourne or Canberra off-campus is going to be at least as expensive as on-campus, at least until you can find a shared flat or house out in the suburbs, which is often better value, if not cheaper. For the first year, I would highly recommend on-campus, especially as an international student.

On-campus rent is variable. At ANU, I believe the lowest is about $200/pw, for a self-catered room with shared kitchen and bathroom. Not sure about Melbourne, but I imagine it's about the same. Catered will cost a bomb, at $300+pw. Value-wise, self-catered is better, since groceries will cost you less than $100pw.

Of course, expect to pay more if you enjoy dining out often, clubbing, going to non-uni events, or live alone. Living with roommates is cheaper if you guys can agree to share the costs of groceries. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I pay a third of what I would pay if I lived alone. Literally, $30pw on groceries. Nobody else I know eats that cheaply, so expect more along the lines of $50-$60pw.

I doubt ANU gives out many international scholarships. Like most universities, they're very hard to come by if you're an international student. As Australia is a Commonwealth country, there are sometimes opportunities for scholarships to be awarded by various government offices, government-linked organisations, and private organisations. Some careful internet sleuthing may turn some fruitful stones. For the most part, you'll need to prove financial need or exceptional academic results to achieve one.

Hope this was helpful :smile:

May I ask why you want to apply to Australia? Britain/the UK has some of the best universities in the world. We'd love to have you here, but I'd be interested to hear why you want to come.

Original post by artful_lounger
So it was my understanding that ANU was the more or less the crown jewel of AU tertiary education, do you think this perception exists in AU, and how you think it compares to e.g. UNSW, USyd, UMelb? TSR loves it's informal rankings so I figured I'd throw in the question to begin with :tongue:

Also, is there a mature undergraduate student population there? Is it a common occurrence or more rare, and how prolific are mature UG students overall in AU do you think?

Thanks for your questions!

Whether ANU is the "crown jewel" really depends on who you ask, and what area you're looking at. I come from Sydney, so most people there think that USyd is the best. I'd say reputation-wise, it's on par with ANU. UNSW is next, followed by UMelb. In Melbourne, I'm sure the situation is different. I should imagine it's ANU=UMelb, followed by Monash, followed by USyd. Realistically, they are all very good, though personally I'd give the edge to ANU, USyd, and UNSW for undergrad, because UMelb has a weird generalised system and fewer degree options.

ANU was very recently ranked best in Australia, and #20 in the world, so we're feeling quite proud of ourselves at the moment.

Okay, according to faculty:

-- For humanities and social sciences, ANU is best, followed by USyd and UMelb, followed by UNSW.

-- If you're looking at science and medicine, your best options are UNSW and USyd, followed by ANU, followed by UMelb.

-- If you're looking at economics, business, and commerce, you want to look at USyd and ANU, followed by UNSW and UMelb. USyd takes the cake on accounting, ANU on acturial studies (or so I've heard), but I don't think it matters much haha

-- If you're looking at law, USyd is widely regarded as being the best law school in the country (if only because it's near-impossible to get into, straight out of high school), followed by the other three pretty equally.

Of course, these are my personal evaluations, and other people would definitely disagree with me. Honestly, all the above universities are very good, and you wouldn't go astray. If you go to USyd/UNSW, your degree will be regarded more highly in Sydney; if you go to UMelb, you'll be better regarded in Melbourne, but I don't think it would make much practical difference.

Okay, as for mature-age students: it's not a common occurrence, but also not exceedingly rare. I'd say in all of my courses with 200+ people, there were between 5 and 10 mature-age students. Don't expect to be swamped by your older counterparts, but you won't be totally alone.

Prolific? Not particularly. I know they have an organisation which holds events internally, and the ANU encourages MA students to network with one another. Outside of that, though, they tend to keep to themselves. So would I, if I were an MA student swamped by teenagers and young 20-somethings!

Hope this helped you :smile:
Reply 9
Hi!

I am an Australian citizen(dual citizenship) who has never been to Australia but having just finished the CIE A levels in an International school in Europe I want to start a uni in Australia. As you can imagine I have loads of questions.

I have decided to apply to USyd for bachelor of arts(History) and bachelor of advanced studies (politics and international relations), and as I understand I have to apply through the UAC as a domestic student. Do you know if I can apply with my predicted grades? As I only get my results mid august and the grades are not the Australian system ones- ATAR. Also, when do I have to apply for scholarships generally? The deadlines seem to have a wide range of dates and, hence, not used to the semester timelines I am struggling to understand what scholarships are for what semesters or even years.

Lastly, what accommodation would you recommend for a student of USyd? Looking through their website I realise that the colleges are much too expensive. The only legit options I have seen until now are the Queen Mary Building, the Abercrombie Student Accommodation and the Sydney University Village. Which one of these do you think are the better options? As I understand the location of all are great and all have good internet which is important to me. But there are not many reviews I have found.

Thank you in advance! and good luck! :smile:
Reply 10
Hi there Kusja,

Yes, I believe you would count as a domestic student, because you're a citizen. This makes you conveniently eligible for HECS! Just make sure that, when you fill out the form, that you fill out the box for completing non-Australian Year 12. It might try and automatically redirect you to the domestic Year 12 section, so keep an eye out.

I assume you want to start uni in 2018? If so, mid-August is actually much earlier than domestic students, who get their ATARs in December (and IB students get their results in January). Uni starts in February. You should be able to apply with your actual grades. The first thing I'd do is contact the A-levels administration bunch, and ask for your results to be sent straight to UAC, once they're released. If it's anything like the IB, you can request for your results to be sent automatically to a university database. If the A-levels folk give you a blank face, the UAC online form will likely allow you to put in your own grades. Be aware, however, that an official transcript will almost certainly be required as proof. If you want more concrete information (sorry that I'm a bit useless in this department), you can also call UAC themselves, whose number will be floating around their website somewhere.

As for predicted grades, I got into my course at ANU on the basis of my predicteds, in early December. I applied for arts/law at USyd, and they also sent me an early conditional offer based on my predicteds. I'm not sure if that helps you at all, since I think those early offers were only for IB students, but it might be worth calling USyd to ask if similar early entry is offered for A-levels.

Scholarship deadlines do have a wide variety of dates, and in general, the most competitive/best ones have the earliest closing dates. In general, they close in the last few months of the year before university entry, so I'd definitely keep an eye out from August onwards, so that you don't miss any dates. Less competitive deadlines run through to about December. In some cases (like achieving over a certain ATAR), no registration is required for the scholarship, but others might require you to write an essay or undertake an interview. That's why it's best to be really vigilant and keep a lookout early.

In general, if a scholarship closes from September to January, it's for Semester 1, which will go from about February to June the following year. If it closes from March to July, it'll be for Semester 2. S2 goes from late July/early August to November, roughly speaking.

Okay, as for accommodation, it'll be expensive. You can't get around it, no matter which way you try to twist or turn, though it looks like you've found four feasible options (well done!). In Australia, it's much more uncommon for students to live in college during uni. I'm not sure of USyd accom specifics, because I don't live at the uni, but you can join the Sydney University Facebook group and ask there, perhaps? Please also be aware that costs of living, especially in inner Sydney, will be expensive. Sydney, unfortunately, is one of the most expensive cities in the world. That said, it's also one of the most friendly and beautiful, and the uni itself is lovely as well, so hopefull you'll think it's worth it!

Just a heads-up, good internet in Australia is hard to come by. You'll probably have a reliable Wifi connection, but don't expect speedy service - unless Ethernet connectivity is offered. We also don't tend to have Wifi in public places. Just a heads up :smile:

I hope this was helpful, at least a bit. Sorry that I couldn't answer your questions with certainty, I did my best.
HeyYeah ill be applying to universities in UK as well, such as Leeds, Glasgow, St Andrews and Imperial. However my first choice will be Melbourne because my long term boyfriend will be starting there in early 2018 and for us to stay together I basically have to go there. Therefore I'm a bit stressed regarding the fee... and living costs. My predicted grades are AAA and on Melbourne's website scholarships are given to students with exceptional academical results i.e. 4 As. Almost all of my classmates do only 3 subjects -_-thank youuu
Reply 12
Hi

I got offers from 2 Australian universities through the UAC and QTAC system, around 4 days ago; and one of them is USyd. I applied to study bachelor of nursing (advanced) at USyd, as a domestic student.

The advanced course really confuses me. What is it exactly?

All I know is advanced course will provide better preparation for future, in terms of knowledge and skill; since requirements are much higher. But, is that really the case at USyd? Like, would marking scheme be higher? Thus, would it make study tougher?

Sorry, I know this is a weird question. But, many thanks.
(edited 6 years ago)
I have been accepted to both anu and UNSW for my post-graduation in renewable energy. Iknow that Anu is ranked higher but have heard that UNSW is more, could you help me out
Hi,I am a mature international student (over 30!). I got accepted in ANU, UNSW, Sydney and Melbourne University for Masters in IT. As I am interested is more specialization towards Artificial Intelligence. As each are in a different city, I have conflicting opinions. Every person I ask tend to be bias to the place they studies in or lived in. I understood that each city is totally different from the other. If you give more insights if you know about which uni is better for this subject, which have more Arabs (I am Palestinian), and which have higher chances of finding job opportunities, either part time during studies or as full time after graduation. Any input would really be helpful

Furthermore, I got scholarship offer from UMelb & USyd, I don't want to put this as the main deciding factor, but wonder if it is worth considering.

Note: I will be applying for PR as well so hope while studying I may get the PR and switch my student visa.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi there!! I'm looking to apply to ANU for commerce.Just wondering how is the commerce at ANU? Is it reputable and well respected in Australia? Thanks!!
Reply 16
Wow, I haven't logged onto this site for a while.

I'm sure most of your questions have been answered elsewhere but in case they haven't, I'll answer here too.

Original post by karolinaek
HeyYeah ill be applying to universities in UK as well, such as Leeds, Glasgow, St Andrews and Imperial. However my first choice will be Melbourne because my long term boyfriend will be starting there in early 2018 and for us to stay together I basically have to go there. Therefore I'm a bit stressed regarding the fee... and living costs. My predicted grades are AAA and on Melbourne's website scholarships are given to students with exceptional academical results i.e. 4 As. Almost all of my classmates do only 3 subjects -_-thank youuu

Did you choose Melbourne in the end? It's a lovely city, probably the nicest in Australia!

Original post by olo104
Hi

I got offers from 2 Australian universities through the UAC and QTAC system, around 4 days ago; and one of them is USyd. I applied to study bachelor of nursing (advanced) at USyd, as a domestic student.

The advanced course really confuses me. What is it exactly?

All I know is advanced course will provide better preparation for future, in terms of knowledge and skill; since requirements are much higher. But, is that really the case at USyd? Like, would marking scheme be higher? Thus, would it make study tougher?

Sorry, I know this is a weird question. But, many thanks.

I'm not too sure how nursing/medicine works, but I have a a few friends doing Advanced Science. As far as I can tell, it's just a science degree and I haven't actually met anyone doing non-advanced science. I'm sure there is a difference.

Did you find out the answer?

Original post by RAJEEVLOCHANP
I have been accepted to both anu and UNSW for my post-graduation in renewable energy. Iknow that Anu is ranked higher but have heard that UNSW is more, could you help me out

Honestly, both are great unis. ANU probably has more connections to the policy/government side of renewable energy, but our government is rubbish at climate change, etc. so I'm not sure it'll help much xD Which did you choose in the end?

Original post by CuriousGirl152
Hi,I am a mature international student (over 30!). I got accepted in ANU, UNSW, Sydney and Melbourne University for Masters in IT. As I am interested is more specialization towards Artificial Intelligence. As each are in a different city, I have conflicting opinions. Every person I ask tend to be bias to the place they studies in or lived in. I understood that each city is totally different from the other. If you give more insights if you know about which uni is better for this subject, which have more Arabs (I am Palestinian), and which have higher chances of finding job opportunities, either part time during studies or as full time after graduation. Any input would really be helpful

Furthermore, I got scholarship offer from UMelb & USyd, I don't want to put this as the main deciding factor, but wonder if it is worth considering.

Note: I will be applying for PR as well so hope while studying I may get the PR and switch my student visa.

I don't know much about IT so I can't help with subject-related stuff. UNSW has a reputation for being good at science, but that's not to say the others are poor.

I would say Sydney and Melbourne are more culturally diverse than Canberra, as they are larger cities and have seen lots of immigration. There are areas of Sydney where large numbers of Middle Eastern people live and I'm sure the same goes for Melbourne. However, ANU still has a large number of international students - especially postgrads - so whilst they may not be Arab, you will meet many strangers to the city. All uni campuses are very liberal, so I certainly hope your ethnicity will not cause you any problems. Unfortunately we do have some racists in Australia though, and some terror attacks in recent years have brought them out a bit more :frown:

Jobswise you are likely looking at Melbourne or Sydney in terms of IT. You're much more unlikely to find an IT job in Canberra unless it's connected to the uni. Part time work is competitive to find in all three places due to the high number of students looking for work, but if you have particular skills they will help you a lot. For example, coaching sports or tutoring. Be aware that Australia has quite high minimum wages and that many employers try to take advantage of international students, who are willing to work for less. I won't tell you whether you should accept a job for less than the minimum wage, but you should know whether you are being paid fairly. The Fair Work Ombudsman should be your port of call, if you suspect you are being underpaid.

What did you eventually choose to do?

Original post by mjunior1234
Hi there!! I'm looking to apply to ANU for commerce.Just wondering how is the commerce at ANU? Is it reputable and well respected in Australia? Thanks!!

Hello! Have you made a decision yet?

If not, ANU has an excellent commerce course. The College of Business and Economics building is also centrally located and extremely well-equipped; one of the nicest buildings on campus (and it has a great cafe).

Most commerce i.e. internships are found in the Sydney and Melbourne CBDs - you are less likely to find summer opportunities in the industry in Canberra as most offices are government-related. However, the ANU commerce course is held in high regard and ANU does have an internship program open to all students, for which you can get credit for your degree as well as learn practical skills and make connections. Studying in Canberra is also cheaper than Sydney or Melbourne.

Sorry about the late replies, everyone! Hope they helped you a little - or if they didn't, that others who read this in the future found it useful instead :smile:
Original post by azarrah
Wow, I haven't logged onto this site for a while.

I'm sure most of your questions have been answered elsewhere but in case they haven't, I'll answer here too.

Did you choose Melbourne in the end? It's a lovely city, probably the nicest in Australia!

I'm not too sure how nursing/medicine works, but I have a a few friends doing Advanced Science. As far as I can tell, it's just a science degree and I haven't actually met anyone doing non-advanced science. I'm sure there is a difference.

Did you find out the answer?

Honestly, both are great unis. ANU probably has more connections to the policy/government side of renewable energy, but our government is rubbish at climate change, etc. so I'm not sure it'll help much xD Which did you choose in the end?

I don't know much about IT so I can't help with subject-related stuff. UNSW has a reputation for being good at science, but that's not to say the others are poor.

I would say Sydney and Melbourne are more culturally diverse than Canberra, as they are larger cities and have seen lots of immigration. There are areas of Sydney where large numbers of Middle Eastern people live and I'm sure the same goes for Melbourne. However, ANU still has a large number of international students - especially postgrads - so whilst they may not be Arab, you will meet many strangers to the city. All uni campuses are very liberal, so I certainly hope your ethnicity will not cause you any problems. Unfortunately we do have some racists in Australia though, and some terror attacks in recent years have brought them out a bit more :frown:

Jobswise you are likely looking at Melbourne or Sydney in terms of IT. You're much more unlikely to find an IT job in Canberra unless it's connected to the uni. Part time work is competitive to find in all three places due to the high number of students looking for work, but if you have particular skills they will help you a lot. For example, coaching sports or tutoring. Be aware that Australia has quite high minimum wages and that many employers try to take advantage of international students, who are willing to work for less. I won't tell you whether you should accept a job for less than the minimum wage, but you should know whether you are being paid fairly. The Fair Work Ombudsman should be your port of call, if you suspect you are being underpaid.

What did you eventually choose to do?

Hello! Have you made a decision yet?

If not, ANU has an excellent commerce course. The College of Business and Economics building is also centrally located and extremely well-equipped; one of the nicest buildings on campus (and it has a great cafe).

Most commerce i.e. internships are found in the Sydney and Melbourne CBDs - you are less likely to find summer opportunities in the industry in Canberra as most offices are government-related. However, the ANU commerce course is held in high regard and ANU does have an internship program open to all students, for which you can get credit for your degree as well as learn practical skills and make connections. Studying in Canberra is also cheaper than Sydney or Melbourne.

Sorry about the late replies, everyone! Hope they helped you a little - or if they didn't, that others who read this in the future found it useful instead :smile:

Yes, I've made my decision and I'm probs heading for ANU. Hope it's a good chocie!!

Do you think it's a better chocie over let's say UNSW, Macquarie, Monash, Deakin, RMIT?

Thanks once again!!!
Reply 18
Original post by mjunior1234
Yes, I've made my decision and I'm probs heading for ANU. Hope it's a good chocie!!

Do you think it's a better chocie over let's say UNSW, Macquarie, Monash, Deakin, RMIT?

Thanks once again!!!

I do - but of course I do, I made the same decision as you! Really all of those would be great domestically for commerce, though I'm not sure all of them have name recognition overseas. If you're looking to do postgrad or work overseas then ANU, USyd, or UMelb are the best choices, I imagine.

Canberra is a lovely place to live; very chill, but also a vibrant student life with loads of student clubs and groups if you're into that. You can really choose how quiet or outgoing you want to be, and also how 'college-y' you want to be. It's small enough that you also get the classic Australian friendliness (and casualness) in the middle of the city - okay, large town xD - whereas the business districts of Sydney and Melbourne are much more "time is money, get out of my way".

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have questions about accommodation, how the uni works, or anything like that. It's confusing enough as a domestic student and I'm sure it's even worse if you're international xD
Thank you you very much for your reply!! I'm planning on doing business info systems as my first major and another commerce major as my second major - will ANU be better over the choices above?

Thank you so much again!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending