The Student Room Group

Alevel Mathematics

So we do not have to AS maths anymore, we only have to do A2 to get the full Alevel?

SOMEONE TELL ME PLEASE!!!!
Fairly sure there is a thing called core maths as well?
Original post by Chrisrc
So we do not have to AS maths anymore, we only have to do A2 to get the full Alevel?

SOMEONE TELL ME PLEASE!!!!

With the new specifications of exams you don’t need to sit AS exams, you only need to sit the A2 exams in year 13, these cover both the year 12 and the year 13 content.
Reply 3
Original post by Bill Nye
Fairly sure there is a thing called core maths as well?

To achieve the Mathematics Alevel will i only have to sit the following exams: C1, C2, S1?
Original post by Chrisrc
To achieve the Mathematics Alevel will i only have to sit the following exams: C1, C2, S1?

idk
Reply 5
Original post by Snoozinghamster
With the new specifications of exams you don’t need to sit AS exams, you only need to sit the A2 exams in year 13, these cover both the year 12 and the year 13 content.

To achieve the full Mathematics Alevel will i only have to sit the following exams: C1, C2, S1?
Original post by Chrisrc
To achieve the full Mathematics Alevel will i only have to sit the following exams: C1, C2, S1?

That’s old spec exams you’re referring to by the sound of things (c1-c4, then normally m1,s1) on old spec you need 6 modules for the a level, the modules you mention would get you an AS
Reply 7
That’s old spec exams you’re referring to by the sound of things (c1-c4, then normally m1,s1) on old spec you need 6 modules for the a level, the modules you mention would get you an AS

What modules would i have to do to get the full alevel?
Original post by Chrisrc

Once again assuming you are on the old spec (what year are you in?) to get the full a level you need to do c1,c2,c3 and c4. You then need to do two applied modules, these are often m1 and s1, but you could do d1 instead of one of them or m2 instead of s1 or s2 instead of m1,
I’d advise you to talk to your teachers as they will be best able to explain as though know what board you are doing and far more importantly whether you are doing reformed a levels or not.
Reply 9
Once again assuming you are on the old spec (what year are you in?) to get the full a level you need to do c1,c2,c3 and c4. You then need to do two applied modules, these are often m1 and s1, but you could do d1 instead of one of them or m2 instead of s1 or s2 instead of m1,
I’d advise you to talk to your teachers as they will be best able to explain as though know what board you are doing and far more importantly whether you are doing reformed a levels or not.

Thank you for your time and help :smile:
Original post by Chrisrc
Thank you for your time and help :smile:

Happy to help where I can😀
Original post by Chrisrc

There are no modules in the new spec. You will have to do one core paper, one half core half stats and one half core half mechanics.
You need to do c1-c4 and then two extra modules of your choice, (I’m doing S1 and S2) so just like the old specification. Instead of doing 3 exams this year and 3 next, like I did, you’ll have to do all 6 at the end of Year 13. It’s a lot of work..
Original post by mrscheesecake
You need to do c1-c4 and then two extra modules of your choice, (I’m doing S1 and S2) so just like the old specification. Instead of doing 3 exams this year and 3 next, like I did, you’ll have to do all 6 at the end of Year 13. It’s a lot of work..

This is nt the case for the new spec
Ahh I guess I’m misinformed then
Original post by Charliewiz
There are no modules in the new spec. You will have to do one core paper, one half core half stats and one half core half mechanics.

I’m doing the new spec and have 2 core papers and one half stats and other half mechanics.
Original post by Hanky2222
I’m doing the new spec and have 2 core papers and one half stats and other half mechanics.

Oh right thats probably because I do OCR. I think it works slightly differently depending on the exam board but the proportion of each secion of mathematics shold be the same.
Original post by Charliewiz
Oh right thats probably because I do OCR. I think it works slightly differently depending on the exam board but the proportion of each secion of mathematics shold be the same.

That’s right because I do edexcel.

Quick Reply

Latest