The Student Room Group

Can I get AAB in my A Levels??? Find out next time on Dragon Ball Z

Hi!! So, I made one of these grow your grades back at GCSE and I found it really useful. I made one during AS Levels and...safe to say it didn't go too well. I'm back again for a third attempt because at the moment my grades suck and I need some sort of motivation. So, what are my plans?

I'm in year 13 and I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths and Business. I sat AS exams in Maths, Further Maths, Business and Physics, and my results were as follows:

Business - A
Maths - B
Further Maths - B
Physics - C

I was pretty disappointed with these, because I was so close to A grades in Maths. Physics was actually pretty impressive because I was on track to fail in my opinion.

Now that they're behind me, I have applied to university to study Maths. So far I have 4 offers and I'm just waiting on one! But they're all mostly AAB offers, so that's my aim :smile:

We sat mock exams at the start of the month and we're slowly starting to get results back for these. I'll be honest, I didn't really revise - I got a job over the Christmas holidays and before I knew it it was January and I'd done minimal revision. Anyway, I'll list the mocks I did here and just add the results as they come in:

C3 - C
C4 -
D1 - C (1 from a B)
FP2/S3 (joint) - B
M2 - E
Business - A (1 from an A*)

Evidently, pretty awful for somebody who wants to do Maths at university. But I'm working on it. Hence making this thread.

SO, what do I plan to do today?
Well, I have taekwondo tonight so I don't have much time, but today in further maths we properly started to learn about first order differential equations which are actually really cool! So I'm going to finish Exercise 4B from the textbook, and if I have time do some more C4 integration.

Last year, I did so much unnecessary work that I burnt myself out before exam season. This year so far, I haven't been doing enough work. Time to find the right balance!!!!!

Have a good day to anyone who might be reading this:biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by graciousgannon
Hi!! So, I made one of these grow your grades back at GCSE and I found it really useful. I made one during AS Levels and...safe to say it didn't go too well. I'm back again for a third attempt because at the moment my grades suck and I need some sort of motivation. So, what are my plans?

I'm in year 13 and I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths and Business. I sat AS exams in Maths, Further Maths, Business and Physics, and my results were as follows:

Business - A
Maths - B
Further Maths - B
Physics - C

I was pretty disappointed with these, because I was so close to A grades in Maths. Physics was actually pretty impressive because I was on track to fail in my opinion.

Now that they're behind me, I have applied to university to study Maths. So far I have 4 offers and I'm just waiting on one! But they're all mostly AAB offers, so that's my aim :smile:

We sat mock exams at the start of the month and we're slowly starting to get results back for these. I'll be honest, I didn't really revise - I got a job over the Christmas holidays and before I knew it it was January and I'd done minimal revision. Anyway, I'll list the mocks I did here and just add the results as they come in:

C3 - C
C4 -
D1 - C (1 from a B)
FP2/S3 (joint) - B
M2 - E
Business -

Evidently, pretty awful for somebody who wants to do Maths at university. But I'm working on it. Hence making this thread.

SO, what do I plan to do today?
Well, I have taekwondo tonight so I don't have much time, but today in further maths we properly started to learn about first order differential equations which are actually really cool! So I'm going to finish Exercise 4B from the textbook, and if I have time do some more C4 integration.

Last year, I did so much unnecessary work that I burnt myself out before exam season. This year so far, I haven't been doing enough work. Time to find the right balance!!!!!

Have a good day to anyone who might be reading this:biggrin:

Glad to hear it helped for GCSE! Good luck with your studies!
UPDATE: Monday 22nd January 2018
(120 DAYS UNTIL MY FIRST EXAM)

Hello there! Here I am for a second update. The work that I said I was going to do on Thursday I did actually do, so that's something. Over the weekend, I didn't do any work - it's quite difficult to find the time because I work both Saturday and Sunday, and I also train at the weekends too. But if I work hard enough during the week I hopefully won't feel all too bad about it!

Today at school I had a free period first, which I actually did some business work in about global businesses and the China vs India debate. I had an EPQ lesson today - I started my presentation but I'm not getting very far with it at the moment... I had two business lessons, both which consisted of research so it didn't feel all that productive to me but I found some examples of global niche businesses which will be quite useful in my exam. I also had maths today, where we went over standard patterns and other integration areas.

My plan for tonight is:
1. Complete Exercise 6D? (the partial fractions one) of C4 Integration
2. Complete Exercise 6E (standard patterns)
3. Finish off my business homework that I started

That's not much to do and Monday evenings are a good working day for me so fingers crossed I get it all done :smile:
UPDATE: Tuesday 23rd January 2018
(119 DAYS UNTIL MY FIRST EXAM)

Wow, two consecutive updates! Very unlike me but I'm feeling motivated this week. Yesterday I got all of the things done that I said I would, with the exception of completely finishing my business homework because I need to ask for help on one of the questions and I intend on doing that tomorrow. So really, yesterday was good:biggrin:.

Today has not been so bad - I had a free first lesson so I did Exercise 4C of FP2 which was first order differential equations and using the integrating factor etc. I had business after that, and we got our mock results back! Originally I was told I had 64/100 which was a B, and I was slightly disappointed because I thought the exam went quite well. But when I added up my marks, I had actually gotten 74/100 which was an A (one off of an A*!) and that really improved my mood and attitude towards business. My 20 markers were mostly good, but I slipped up pretty badly on one 10 marker (I only got 3...). I realised I need to focus on timings and using figures from the case study to improve my marks. I had another free after business so I just finished the FP2 exercise, and then lastly I had Core Maths where we did integration by substitution.

I'm feeling pretty deflated and quite ill, so I'm not going to do too much tonight. I plan on:

1. Finishing Exercise 6F of C4 (integration by substitution).
2. Finishing Exercise 6A of FP2 (using higher derivatives of a function).
3. Put my work into my folders - everything is starting to get a bit messy again.

Hopefully I can get this all done in 1.5-2 hours, and if I still have time left I'll start doing some first order questions with substitution :smile:.
Let's go!!!!!
good luck future super saiyan!
Reply 5
Good luck. Right now is probably a good time to start revision. You’ll want to bump up the amount of work you do Mid Feb.
Original post by HateOCR
Good luck. Right now is probably a good time to start revision. You’ll want to bump up the amount of work you do Mid Feb.

Isnt the best time to bump your amount of work two weeks before the exam? this senseless revision now, you wont remember anything of in 117 days lol.

Start 45 days before hand, hardest concepts first, easiest in the middle and hardest again just before.
Reply 7
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Isnt the best time to bump your amount of work two weeks before the exam? this senseless revision now, you wont remember anything of in 117 days lol.

Start 45 days before hand, hardest concepts first, easiest in the middle and hardest again just before.

I disagree. You shouldn’t underestimate the power of subconscious thought. Once OP picks up their book 3 weeks before their exams the content wont be shocking and there will be some concepts they will have already known off by heart.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by HateOCR
I disagree. You shouldn’t underestimate the power of subconscious thought. Once OP picks up their book 3 weeks before their exams the content wont be shocking and there will be some concepts they will have already known off by heart.

Sure, but everyday she is tracking the days making herself more nervous lol. Its not the best strategy, if anything no more then an hour a day. Especially to get AAB that surely isnt the most impossible of results, and honestly if she is doing maths at an AAB university, they will take her at ABB lol.

Who offers maths at AAB anymore.
Reply 9
Sure, but everyday she is tracking the days making herself more nervous lol. Its not the best strategy, if anything no more then an hour a day. Especially to get AAB that surely isnt the most impossible of results, and honestly if she is doing maths at an AAB university, they will take her at ABB lol.

Thats subjective. You can’t assume that OP will cope in the same conditions yourself.
Original post by HateOCR
Thats subjective. You can’t assume that OP will cope in the same conditions yourself.

OP needs to be able to cope with substantially more then me, a management student at a Russell group, to get through any sort of maths degree at any somewhat respected british university, that is a HARD subject.
haha that title
Original post by HateOCR

Thanks for the advice! I keep going back to all of the stuff we did at the start of the year which I’m finding helpful!

Hi! I totally get what you’re saying here, but rather than making me nervous I’ve found that tracking the days is just helping me put things into perspective a bit more. I might stop that though because you have a fair point.

I also get the whole revision thing but I suppose everybody works differently. As for who offers maths at AAB anymore, 4 of the universities I applied for offered that or below :smile:
Original post by graciousgannon
Hi! I totally get what you’re saying here, but rather than making me nervous I’ve found that tracking the days is just helping me put things into perspective a bit more. I might stop that though because you have a fair point.

I also get the whole revision thing but I suppose everybody works differently. As for who offers maths at AAB anymore, 4 of the universities I applied for offered that or below :smile:

I had to do AAB to get into business, so it just seemed like quite low entry for such a complex niche degree, which unis did you apply to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending