The Student Room Group

Can different species produce fertile offspring

Hi everyone!I have a question regarding species.. It's probably super simple but I can't seem to find a firm answer whenever I've googled it and wondered if you can help clear up my confusion..Can different species breed with each other and have fertile offspring? (I believe not) If not, how can we say things like, humans breeded with neanderthals back in the day?Or maybe different species can breed with other species? Many thanks in advance!

PS> I've just realised I posted this in the wrong section! Could a mod move it to a more appropriate forum please.. and apologies..
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by danman12
Hi everyone!I have a question regarding species.. It's probably super simple but I can't seem to find a firm answer whenever I've googled it and wondered if you can help clear up my confusion..Can different species breed with each other and have fertile offspring? (I believe not) If not, how can we say things like, humans breeded with neanderthals back in the day?Or maybe different species can breed with other species? Many thanks in advance!

PS> I've just realised I posted this in the wrong section! Could a mod move it to a more appropriate forum please.. and apologies..

They can have offspring but not fertile ones. No humans didn't mate with neanderthals to produce fertile offspring. They evolved from them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending