The Student Room Group

Raf medic or army medic

I would like to be in the armed firces when Iam older as a medic but I don’t know weather to be in the raf or army. I would like to be on the front lines though.
Reply 1
Original post by Codiebouxx
I would like to be in the armed firces when Iam older as a medic but I don’t know weather to be in the raf or army. I would like to be on the front lines though.

Hi,

Same as me, might join the reserves. If you want to be on the frontlines I would pick Army. Although don't think you will be deployed. Army medics unless attached to Special forces groups aren't on the frontline is masses as we have no ongoing infantry deployments at the moment. Although it looks like we may be deployed to Afghanistan again. However, this isn't certain.
Original post by jdddd
Hi,

Same as me, might join the reserves. If you want to be on the frontlines I would pick Army. Although don't think you will be deployed. Army medics unless attached to Special forces groups aren't on the frontline is masses as we have no ongoing infantry deployments at the moment. Although it looks like we may be deployed to Afghanistan again. However, this isn't certain.

RAMC medics work as parts of infantry regiments as well as in their own medical regiments. The same is true of RN medical assistants, who are sometimes embedded with RM companies. While you're right in saying there's no ongoing deployments at the moment, there's still training, exercises and we can't predict what conflicts may happen in the future so there'll always be green army work, just without bullets flying at you.
Reply 3
Original post by moonkatt
RAMC medics work as parts of infantry regiments as well as in their own medical regiments. The same is true of RN medical assistants, who are sometimes embedded with RM companies. While you're right in saying there's no ongoing deployments at the moment, there's still training, exercises and we can't predict what conflicts may happen in the future so there'll always be green army work, just without bullets flying at you.

Hi,

I appreciate your point! Are you a medic? I know I only mentioned on going deployments as he particularly mentioned being on the frontlines, whilst there is other work medics can be doing its not likely to be on the frontline, ie firefights and doing the job you're trained to do in an actual war zone. Also, while you're right we can't predict as things can change at a moments notice, I think for now Infantry deployments will be totally limited and scale down and MPs and Members of the public now properly understand the lives at stake because of the Afghan and Iraq wars. I think MPs will avoid infantry deployments, as we have seen recently in the air campaign in Iraq and Syria against ISIS, as they can prevent lives being lost.
Original post by jdddd
Hi,

I appreciate your point! Are you a medic? I know I only mentioned on going deployments as he particularly mentioned being on the frontlines, whilst there is other work medics can be doing its not likely to be on the frontline, ie firefights and doing the job you're trained to do in an actual war zone. Also, while you're right we can't predict as things can change at a moments notice, I think for now Infantry deployments will be totally limited and scale down and MPs and Members of the public now properly understand the lives at stake because of the Afghan and Iraq wars. I think MPs will avoid infantry deployments, as we have seen recently in the air campaign in Iraq and Syria against ISIS, as they can prevent lives being lost.

I'm a former infantryman. I've friends who are RAMC medics and a friend who was an MA with the RM on the ground in Helmand.

Infantry deployments are scaled down, but one of the things about the medic role us, that while to infantry (or other units), being on exercise is pretend, however there's always a real life element to what you do as a CMT as people still pick up injuries etc.

We'll find something to stick our noses into eventually, whilst air power is great, if you need to dominate and hold ground, you need troops actually on the ground to do so.
Reply 5
Original post by moonkatt
I'm a former infantryman. I've friends who are RAMC medics and a friend who was an MA with the RM on the ground in Helmand.

Infantry deployments are scaled down, but one of the things about the medic role us, that while to infantry (or other units), being on exercise is pretend, however there's always a real life element to what you do as a CMT as people still pick up injuries etc.

We'll find something to stick our noses into eventually, whilst air power is great, if you need to dominate and hold ground, you need troops actually on the ground to do so.

Oh! I want to join the Army reserve as a Combat medic. I appreciate training is realistic etc but its still not like the 'frontlines' as mentioned. Yeah of course you do. Thats why (supposedly) the SAS have been deployed in Syria. Also some regiments of Parachute regiment. But for now personally don't think infantry will be used for a while.

Quick Reply

Latest