The Student Room Group

Should i even bother applying to Cambridge for medicine?

Im in yr 12 and I currently do triple science and single maths
For gcses i got 9 A*s and 3As
I've done some work experience and a little bit of volunteering (for dofe)
As for leadership roles I have applied for several within my school (eg subject leader) but have been rejected each time

I know Cambridge mostly focus on AS levels and BMAT/UKCAT score when deciding potential interviewees, and obviously i haven't done those yet. I am, however struggling in my subjects. I'm consistently getting C's and D's in whatever topic tests we have and barely scraping B's sometimes.

I am willing to put lots of effort to do better in my subjects, but I think I will only get A maximum. I am also not a great public speaker as I get really shy (hence why i probably haven't been assigned many leadership roles)

I know Cambridge is very competitive to get into - even more so for medicine. So what do you think. Should someone like me even consider it?

p.s. I have tried to do my research but i am still new to all of this as I do not have any family who are doctors. any advice would be really appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I mean, it can't hurt to try? You'll never know if you don't do it 😊
Reply 2
Original post by Mccreanorr12
I mean, it can't hurt to try? You'll never know if you don't do it 😊

Yeah I guess but I don't want to get my hopes up you know?
You've obviously got amazing GCSEs so I'm sure that if you really put your mind to it, you will succeed in getting the grades. Regardless of whether you apply to Cambridge I'm sure you'll be successful 😊
Reply 4
Original post by Mccreanorr12
You've obviously got amazing GCSEs so I'm sure that if you really put your mind to it, you will succeed in getting the grades. Regardless of whether you apply to Cambridge I'm sure you'll be successful 😊

ahh thank you :') still i dont know it seems a bit of a dream
Original post by xym
As for leadership roles I have applied for several within my school (eg subject leader) but have been rejected each time

I know Cambridge mostly focus on AS levels and BMAT/UKCAT score when deciding potential interviewees, and obviously i haven't done those yet. I am, however struggling in my subjects. I'm consistently getting C's and D's in whatever topic tests we have and barely scraping B's sometimes.

I am willing to put lots of effort to do better in my subjects, but I think I will only get A maximum. I am also not a great public speaker as I get really shy (hence why i probably haven't been assigned many leadership roles)

I know Cambridge is very competitive to get into - even more so for medicine. So what do you think. Should someone like me even consider it?

p.s. I have tried to do my research but i am still new to all of this as I do not have any family who are doctors. any advice would be really appreciated :smile:

You are correct in believing that Cambridge is competitive and medicine even more so. Btw they use BMAT not UKCAT.

However, unless you are on track to get the minimum entry requirement of A*A*A you are just wasting your time and energy. You are not yet achieving that level so focus on improving your grades.

If you still want to become a doctor then do your research about which medical schools might accept the grades you are predicted by the start of year 13. A very useful site is themedicportal.com.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
You are correct in believing that Cambridge is competitive and medicine even more so. Btw they use BMAT not UKCAT.
v
However, unless you are on track to get the minimum entry requirement of A*A*A you are just wasting your time and energy. You are not yet achieving that level so focus on improving your grades.

If you still want to become a doctor then do your research about which medical schools might accept the grades you are predicted by the start of year 13. A very useful site is themedicportal.com.

Posted from TSR Mobile

very late but thank you!
HiyA! How’s it going now?
Go to the Cambridge open day and see whether you see yourself studying there i.e. whether you like the university, the course structure(VERY IMPORTANT-decide carefully on whether the learning style suits you, it is okay if it does not suit it completely but at least to a certain extent) and the city. Also, don't be very influenced by the prestige element, it is important but YOU are going to be studying there for about 5-6 years so make sure to largely base your choice on a place and course structure you like. Hope this is helpful and feel free to ask any more questions. Good luck :smile:
Original post by xym

Okay a few things. Cambridge is actually hard to get into. You can be a the best student in the country and you'd still have uncertainty to whether you can get in or not. But if you want to apply there go for it. I highly suggest you do. The worst that could happen is you get rejected, just keep that in mind and apply.

(also keep in mind that Cambridge may lower it's entry requirement by one grade if you are from a low socio economic background or area. Looking into being a first generation student might be worthwhile as well.)
A levels are just tough, maybe this year you didn’t quite get the hang of it and next year it’ll just click. You never know. No harm in trying
Reply 11
Original post by Sophbarry16
HiyA! How’s it going now?

Its going much better now thank you :smile: I know I can at least apply to medicine.
How about you? x
Reply 12
Original post by tessa w
Go to the Cambridge open day and see whether you see yourself studying there i.e. whether you like the university, the course structure(VERY IMPORTANT-decide carefully on whether the learning style suits you, it is okay if it does not suit it completely but at least to a certain extent) and the city. Also, don't be very influenced by the prestige element, it is important but YOU are going to be studying there for about 5-6 years so make sure to largely base your choice on a place and course structure you like. Hope this is helpful and feel free to ask any more questions. Good luck :smile:

I see it was very helpful! thank you so much x
Original post by xym
Its going much better now thank you :smile: I know I can at least apply to medicine.
How about you? x

I’m good!! Going for law though
Reply 14
Original post by SayYesToDragons
Okay a few things. Cambridge is actually hard to get into. You can be a the best student in the country and you'd still have uncertainty to whether you can get in or not. But if you want to apply there go for it. I highly suggest you do. The worst that could happen is you get rejected, just keep that in mind and apply.

(also keep in mind that Cambridge may lower it's entry requirement by one grade if you are from a low socio economic background or area. Looking into being a first generation student might be worthwhile as well.)

thats very true and thank you. We do have low income but I go to a good school so I guess it balances out?
Reply 15
Original post by Revengrrs
A levels are just tough, maybe this year you didn’t quite get the hang of it and next year it’ll just click. You never know. No harm in trying

yes I agree. thank you! and I hope so :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Sophbarry16
I’m good!! Going for law though

oh wow thats amazing :redface: I really hope you do well
all the best x
Original post by xym

Ok so Cambridge don't really put much emphasis on gcses; they care much more about AS and A Level results, interviews and admissions tests. For medicine it is also important to really have that work experience and an aptitude for doing it. But for medicine in particular compared to other courses, I think they do look at gcses with a closer eye so you'll be fine in that aspect. However you gotta really work on those AS grades and A level grades for your subject. You should really be aiming for A*s and As in order to have a realistic chance of getting an offer and getting in. So keep working at it and it doesn't hurt.
A recent question poll was received by medical graduates; "Are you prepared to be a doctor tomorrow"? Cambridge ranked last, with only 60% of graduates responding yes. Cambridge is not for medicine. Medicine is a universal skill which has been cultivated and fostered by a diverse spectrum of people, a talent which can only be mastered by the individual, regardless of institution. Consequently, such skill will ultimately lead to a similar end goal, being a medic (or doctor). The main concept of being a medic would be fulfilled at the end of the day, helping others, assisting the community, occupying a valuable niche in maintaining that the arteries of our nation are unclogged from plaque and atheromas. The heart of our nation, the NHS. Ask yourself, do you see yourself being a doctor after the 5/6 years? Does it matter where you go?
Original post by xym
thats very true and thank you. We do have low income but I go to a good school so I guess it balances out?

Oxbridge are introducing it this year mainly because of stats and complaints. I believe that you are still eligible if you are low income regardless of school. I'd look into it more if I were you. Good luck and hope everything goes well!!! 😘
Ps I highly recommend watching IbzMo on YouTube. He has a lot of good advice and covers personal statements as well. A lot of the study YouTube community talks a lot about Oxbridge so give it a try.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending