The Student Room Group

A few questions for people in the army about a medic career....

I'm thinking of becoming a combat medic technician but i have a few reservations ...

1) Without meaning to cause offence, are the jobs in the army that are not officers considered bad. Like is it just for people that have no other job options.... or the less academic... ???

2) Whats the likelihood of actually being deported on missions as a medic. And how often .....???

3) Does 1 medic get assigned to a troop and whenever they go on missions you go with them ...???

4) How competitive is an army combat medic job...???
Original post by anonomon
I'm thinking of becoming a combat medic technician but i have a few reservations ...

1) Without meaning to cause offence, are the jobs in the army that are not officers considered bad. Like is it just for people that have no other job options.... or the less academic... ???

2) Whats the likelihood of actually being deported on missions as a medic. And how often .....???

3) Does 1 medic get assigned to a troop and whenever they go on missions you go with them ...???

4) How competitive is an army combat medic job...???

Hey there

While I’m not an army medic, my parents are army and naval doctors, having grown up from that background in bases and been with them I can help.

Non officer (‘other ranks’ they say in the army) roles in the army aren’t frowned upon and neither are they in the civilian world. There are more soldiers than officers in the army. When your in the army, navy, or RAF for that matter rank is irrelevant when on operations doing your role. You work as a team as friends, your role comes before rank when your out there.

From the moment you qualify as a medic the army will look to deploy you within a year as medics must be trained and experienced on deployments. Don’t forget that when the army or other forces are deployed it doesn’t mean they are at war. Medics are sort after in the army as wherever the army go wether it’s humanitarian aid to combat to peacekeeping to patrolling a medic is essential. Deployments will be frequent and consistent. Deployments last from 6-24 months, 24 months not being common much anymore. On longer deployments you will have shore leave for a bit which is your break half way through.

Within the Royal medical core you will be in a section. When they go away there’s a very strong chance you’ll be with them. There’s the chance that you’ll go with other sections too. The size of the operation will dictate how many medics go. Don’t forget you’ll be working with a team of nurses, doctors, dentists, surgeons, and other medics. Not all will be present at once unless in a base abroad.

Combat medic role is competitive however the army are keen to get people in at the moment so there will be competition however there always is in the forces. If you fit into the criteria and you show potential you’ll be in.

Hope this helps, here is a link about army deployments. https://www.army.mod.uk/deployments/

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest