The Student Room Group

How to get into rock?

I listen to Radiohead, Linkin Park and Gorillaz/Blur but I want to expand my rock taste. I listen to every genre from pop to Noise.

Any rock album essentials or bands I should get into.

Scroll to see replies

Use a jackhammer perhaps?
Original post by RedGiant

What?
Original post by MichaelPenno
I listen to Radiohead, Linkin Park and Gorillaz/Blur but I want to expand my rock taste. I listen to every genre from pop to Noise.

Nirvana, coldplay, green day, blink-182, fall out boy, arctic monkeys, paramore, the killers, my chemical romance, etc.

Just search some up on youtube if you want more
Original post by RedGiant

Good joke, 7/10.

Rock is a pretty massive umbrella tbh OP (even more if you bundle it with metal as some do), what sort of rock are you looking for?
What?

whooosh

Heart, Thunder, Status Quo, Def Leppard, AC/DC, Nickelback, Creed, The Almighty.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Indie rock is where it’s at!!
Catfish and the bottlemen, The Vaccines, The Strokes, Baby strange, Franz Ferdinand, Circa Waves

If you like the more traditional rock sound I suggest Royal Blood, Queens of the Stone Age, Wolfmother and Guns N’ Roses

I think you’d really like Interpol based on the bands you listed
Tokyo Police Club, The Strokes, Depeche Mode, and Placebo are some good modern ones.
Guns n Roses, The Doors, Van Halen, and Faith No More are some good older ones.
These are just a few examples.
What does a geologist and AC/DC have in common?
(edited 6 years ago)
Rock is such a broad and diverse genre that you will really need to put some time and effort into exploring it and finding out what you like.

Try some of these:

Blood On The Tracks - Bob Dylan
The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground
Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division
Revolver - The Beatles
Who's Next - The Who
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
Hunky Dory - David Bowie
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Nevermind - Nirvana
London Calling - The Clash
Purple Rain - Prince & The Revolution

Bolded albums = my personal favourites.

This is some of the most basic, obvious stuff and you will probably know most of the album names and recognise tracks off each album, some of them are not the artist's best record in their disgocraphies but it's as good a place to start as any imo. Black Sabbath are the heaviest of those, Hunky Dory is a great glam rock record and The Clash are punk with some reggae influence.

Try a few and see what you think.
Reply 11
Find one of those top 100 track lists and work your way through. The ones you like, dig out more by the same artists. pretty soon your Youtube will be suggesting similar stuff and you're off to a decent start.
For me personally, Guns 'N' Roses are what got me into rock music so they're always a good shout. I think the Foo Fighters are defiantly worth a mention as well and then from there you could go in an umber of directions. The Red Hot Chilli Peppers are pretty solid as well in my opinion. All of this stuff is subjective though, you may be into new trends of rock/pop punk. One of my favourite rock albums is the Bleed American album by Jimmy Eat World, great rock music that covers a wide spectrum. Whatever you decide on, enjoy!
What kind of rock? Keep in mind that rock is effectively a super genre, it encompass everything from Elvis (Rock N Roll) to Green Day (Punk) to Amon Amarth ((Death Metal) Death metal is a subgenre of heavy metal, and heavy metal is a genre of rock), regardless, I'll start throwing some names down...

Key:
M - Metal
R - Rock
P - Punk
EM - Extreme Metal
PR - Pop Rock
CR - Country Rock
G - Grunge
PMF - Pop Metal Fusison

Essentials:
Metallica (M)
Juadas Priest (M)
Alice Cooper (R/M)
David Bowie (R)
Journey (R)
Green Day (P)
Sex Pistols (P)
Van Halen (R/M)
AC/DC (R)
Slayer (M)
Aerosmith (R)
Rammstein (M)
Ozzy Osbourne (M)
Black Sabbath (M)
Motorhead (M)
Motley Crue (M)
Guns N Roses (R/M)
Nirvana... I Guess... (G)
Iron Maiden (M)

Recommendations:
Babymetal (PMF)
Emigrate (M)
Audiotopsy (M)
Airbourne (R/M)
Billy Joel (R)
Elton John (R)
Bon Jovi (R/M)
Rob Zombie (M)
Sabaton (M)
Arctic Monkeys (PR)
Manafest (R)
Quiet Riot (M)
Marilyn Manson (M)
Keith Urban (PR/CR)
Slash (R/M)
Omega Lithium (M)
SOME Nickelback stuff (R/PR//M)
Foo Fighters (R/G)
Dorje (M)
Disturbed (M)
Blink 182 (P/PR)

Plenty more band names that are deserving of these groups, I just had a quick skim through my collection to pick these outs.
I'd probably have a listen to some of the "iconic" classic rock albums and get good 60s-70s foundations eg. pink floyd, bowie, the beatles, the doors, the velvet underground, the doors, led zeppelin etc.
I'd probably say to work in decades.

the horrors, alabama shakes, raconteurs, brmc, interpol, dead weather, libertines, arcade fire, babyshambles, tame impala, foxygen, unknown mortal orchestra

blur, placebo, oasis, dandy warhols, nirvana, smashing pumpkins, brian jonestown massacre, morphine, spiritualized, flaming lips, ween, suede

the cure, the smiths, xtc, spacemen 3, pixies, talking heads, joy division, new order, my bloody valentine, the jesus and mary chain, primal scream, sonic youth, rem, stone roses, the fall, the la's, violent femmes

the modern lovers, sparks, pink floyd, elo, 10cc, elvis costello, roxy music, supertramp, t.rex, ramones, wire, blue oyster cult, iggy pop, stooges, undertones, sex pistols, the jam, the clash, can, black sabbath, dire straits, bowie

jefferson airplane, velvet underground, beatles, rolling stones, kinks, beach boys, ccr, procol harum, the hollies, cream, zombies, yardbirds, animals, byrds, the doors, the turtles, donovan, frank zappa, lovin spoonful, the residents, group 1850, captain beefheart, the sonics, hendrix, bob dylan, moody blues, incredible string band

rob orbison, johnny cash, buddy holly

reckon it's easiest to start with 80s and 90s then work your way back. some of these bands are in more than one decade but those are just the decades i associate them with

+ lol yeah would be useful to know what kind of rock you're interested in listening to. you might hate all of these
(edited 6 years ago)
You need this in your life OP

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M8-vje-bq9c

Skillet and Stone Sour are two of my favs. I'll post twice so I can post two vids:

Awake & Alive by Skillet (my fav song by them).- It really speaks a lot to me :smile:
[video="youtube;45ok2Kyt2nM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45ok2Kyt2nM [/video]
(edited 6 years ago)
Song#3 by Stone Sour

[video="youtube;K73-hmaHPHY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K73-hmaHPHY[/video]
First define 'rock' music.

Judging by many of the suggestions above, people have mixed up several very different genre's and called it rock.

Quick Reply

Latest