The Student Room Group

Why does everyone always underestimate me?

I feel as though everyone thinks I'm some idiot who will never get good grades or be successful in any way. If I ever tell my college or my elders I want to do something they will discourage me and say I can't do it because I'm not smart enough or I'm not capable

I hate it is don't understand why teachers do this? Surely your job as a teacher is to encourage students and accept their hard work?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I feel as though everyone thinks I'm some idiot who will never get good grades or be successful in any way. If I ever tell my college or my elders I want to do something they will discourage me and say I can't do it because I'm not smart enough or I'm not capable

I hate it is don't understand why teachers do this? Surely your job as a teacher is to encourage students and accept their hard work?

There are always times where teachers will favor other students because they look promising. Don't let this discourage you and prove them wrong.

gives you more of a reason to work hard so you can prove them wrong. you will fail your A-levels. you are not smart enough and not capable!
who cares what they think? dont listen to them, it's your life and honestly if you work hard to get to where you wanna be without caring about what they say, you'll end up proving them wrong. you're capable of being successful :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Baza2002
gives you more of a reason to work hard so you can prove them wrong. you will fail your A-levels. you are not smart enough and not capable!

Not a great pep talk but ok
Reply 5
Original post by khushiii
who cares what they think? dont listen to them, it's your life and honestly if you work hard to get to where you wanna be without caring about what they say, you'll end up proving them wrong. you're capable of being successful :smile:

Thank you :smile: I guess I needed this thread as a confidence boost and your post has helped :smile:
This summed up my life omg.
Not a great pep talk but ok

sorry, but are you underestimating my pep-talk ability? (is that even a thing?)
Don't let your teachers discourage you
Work hard
Or work at Mc ****ing Donalds

Ok, i agree, it wasn't a great pep talk and this one isn't
people talk crap to feel better about themselves

my advice is to use it as motivation
Reply 9
Original post by Baza2002
sorry, but are you underestimating my pep-talk ability? (is that even a thing?)
Don't let your teachers discourage you
Work hard
Or work at Mc ****ing Donalds

Ok, i agree, it wasn't a great pep talk and this one isn't

lol just don't become a motivational speaker haha
so give them a reason to not underestimate you.
Original post by TryHardNoob
This summed up my life omg.

Nice to know I'm not alone in this

Even when I get good grades everyone underestimates me :/
lol just don't become a motivational speaker haha

you have just made my goal in life to become a motivational speaker...

Happens to me too but at the end I get the greatest satisfaction from proving them that they are very wrong.

Im in the same situation as you. People tend to underestimate me and leave me be that one quiet guy in the corner until it comes to exam results day and i always pull it through and surprise my teachers.
Im not sure if you are like me, but i don’t bother putting an impression on people because i tend to expect it to be there for me already.
If you don’t work consistently hard it can be tough to try prove to someone that you are a capable individual.

Work your butt off and prove them all wrong, not by what you say but by what you achieve

Do you have a tendency to make empty promise?
Or do you have often joke around without doing anything for real?
Are you rather lack of confident comparing with the others in general?
Do you have often exaggerate things that you are about to do?
Or anything similar in nature.

Human are very simple, we perceive what the others do in order to define what character one is. So if you often do the things I mentioned above, it is not possible for anyone to take you seriously.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by KeirCKF
Do you have a tendency to make empty promise?
Or do you have often joke around without doing anything for real?
Are you rather lack of confident comparing with the others in general?
Do you have often exaggerate things that you are about to do?
Or anything similar in nature.

Human are very simple, we perceive what the others do in order to define what character one is. So if you often do the things I mentioned above, it is not possible for anyone to take you seriously.

I don't do the things above. I get judged and underestimated before I even do anything and everything if I get good grades I'm still under estimated. This thread was for morale boost.
I feel like some teachers behave this way. My teacher used to laugh, when I said I had a passion in becoming a doctor and I was only 16. She then made remarks of her daughter stating how she is currently a doctor and I couldn’t even make it to where she is, bearing in mind her daughter is 35. I was devasted upon hearing and angry but then took her words lightly. I’ve met the same people again in college. I think personally some teachers don’t want you to be a higher level of them, whether you’re aim is doing a PHD they feel a sense of bringing someone down. And sadly the teaching field is full of people that didn’t want to become a teacher in the first place. Usually you hear stories of them working in pharmaceutical and so on..
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Guinevere Arthur
I feel like some teachers behave this way. My teacher used to laugh, when I said I had a passion in becoming a doctor and I was only 16. She then made remarks of her daughter stating how she is currently a doctor and I couldn’t even make it to where she is, bearing in mind her daughter is 35. I was devasted upon hearing and angry but then took her words lightly. I’ve met the same people again in college. I think personally some teachers don’t want you to be a higher level of them, whether you’re aim is doing a PHD they feel a sense of bringing someone down.

Sounds similar to my chemistry and maths teachers at gcse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending