The Student Room Group

Mock exam revision??

Our school does mock exams in February and I've been revising since mid-January for them, but I feel like none of my revision is actually doing anything, and I can't remember if I had this problem at GCSE either.

For reference: I'm making a revision booklet, as well as writing out notes from the textbook - I just feel like it's not having any effect.

Do any of you have any ideas of active ways to revise that aren't past papers (there aren't any past papers available yet! It's so frustrating!)
I always found it easier to remember things when I quiz people or others quiz me. It puts you on the spot to make you think like an exam, plus you know what you have learned and what you haven't so you can use this to have another read through what you aren't as confident in. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by laelai
Our school does mock exams in February and I've been revising since mid-January for them, but I feel like none of my revision is actually doing anything, and I can't remember if I had this problem at GCSE either.

For reference: I'm making a revision booklet, as well as writing out notes from the textbook - I just feel like it's not having any effect.

Do any of you have any ideas of active ways to revise that aren't past papers (there aren't any past papers available yet! It's so frustrating!)

Get people to test you on the stuff.
Teach it to others. (Try without notes)
Past papers.
Reply 3
FLASHCARDS:

1) make summary cards - you will find yourself only writing important info for each topic as you only have a small card to fit it all on. Highlight definitions and examples in different colours - or any other category. It helps to imagine you are making a cheatsheet for the exam. Look over these cards before you go in.
2) make definition cards - for a lot of definitions write the word on one side and definition on the other. When working through them and questioning yourself, you want to make two piles: one of definitions you get wrong and one of definitions you get write. When you finish the pack, pick up the pile you got wrong and repeat the process. Hopefully more cards will end up in the correct pile. Just repeat until you get them all correct.
3) make question cards - write question and answer, and use the same technique as for definition cards - a correct and incorrect pile, repeating the incorrect ones.
Original post by laelai

Regarding past papers I get your frustration, if you can find old specs or even other exam boards. It’s not ideal but can help with practice.
Reply 5
Thank you all for your tips! I'll definitely be doing summary cards and testing myself as soon as I can find a partner!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending