The Student Room Group

International ALevels or ALevels Edexcel

Hi all! I would like to ask you
1. if someone outside the UK should take IAL or Alevel exams
2. Also, as I can see in IAL Physics there are 5 seperate units something that doesn't happen in ALevel (edexcel) ,is it true?
3. which units should take someone who wants to study engineering (naval) in bachelor's degree ?
4. Should someone outside UK take both AS and Alevel exams in order to be accepted from a UK uni or can take just Alevel?

Thanks in advance!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physion
2. Also, as I can see in IAL Physics there are 5 seperate units something that doesn't happen in ALevel (edexcel) ,is it true?
3. which units should take someone who wants to study engineering (naval) in bachelor's degree ?
4. Should someone outside UK take both AS and Alevel exams in order to be accepted from a UK uni or can take just Alevel?

Thanks in advance!!

1. Outside UK take international A level. IAL doesn't have a practical exam, practical knowledge is assessed in alternative to practical exams. UK A level has a set of 12 practical assessment to complete.
IAL exams from EDEXCEL can be taken inJanuary, Summer or in some cases October. U.K. A level can only be taken in May/June.
2. The specifications for A level and International A level are different. IAL are modular qualifications (6 units). UK A levels are not modular, they are linear qualifications where you take all exams at the end,
3. You have to take all 6 units to complete the IAL
4. You have to take the AS and A2 exams (ie all 6 units)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by physion

Thanks in advance!!

1. if someone outside the UK should take IAL or Alevel exams [IAL imo]
2. Also, as I can see in IAL Physics there are 5 seperate units something that doesn't happen in ALevel (edexcel) ,is it true?[ you would have to comare the specifications p1-4]
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Physics/2015/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/PearsonEdexcel-Alevel-Physics-Spec.pdf

Look up the degree courses for naval engineering and they will say what they require. Might just say physics but ask the unis.

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/engineering/undergraduate/courses/maritime_engineering/h500_meng_ship_science_naval_engineering.page#entry_requirements%0A____________________

IAL are made of the mark from AS +A2
If you take the linear A level i.e 2 years and exams at the end , then either will do.

I would take IAL for ease of sitting n your country and the fact you can do half marks in AS and then the other half in A2 rather than 100% at the end of 2 years.
Original post by gdunne42
1. Outside UK take international A level. IAL doesn't have a practical exam, practical knowledge is assessed in alternative to practical exams. UK A level has a set of 12 practical assessment to complete.
2. The specifications for A level and International A level are different. IAL are modular qualifications (6 units). UK A levels are not modular, they are linear qualifications where you take all exams at the end,
3. You have to take all 6 units to complete the IAL
4. You have to take the AS and A2 exams (ie all 6 units)

Out of interest if IAL has no requirement for practical component then how do they deal with unis that require it? Could they just do the standalone course before uni to get the endorsement?

Thanks
Original post by 999tigger
Out of interest if IAL has no requirement for practical component then how do they deal with unis that require it? Could they just do the standalone course before uni to get the endorsement?

Thanks

IAL has a requirement for practical study that is assessed through written papers. This meets the requirements of UK universities, they only require the practical endorsement from students taking an A level where that is part of the specification.
Reply 5
IAL has a requirement for practical study that is assessed through written papers. This meets the requirements of UK universities, they only require the practical endorsement from students taking an A level where that is part of the specification.

What do you mean " practical endorsement"? I am interested in Edexcel Pearson qualifications. Thank you.
Original post by physion
What do you mean " practical endorsement"? I am interested in Edexcel Pearson qualifications. Thank you.

A student taking a uk A level from EDEXCEL will be expected to successfully complete a number of defined practical activities that will be observed snd marked by their teachers. Although the results don't count towards the a level grade, successful completion is recorded as a pass in the endorsement of their practical skills. Most universities require a pass in the practical as part of entry requirements.

For IAL there is no practical endorsement, practical knowledge is assessed through written exam papers.
Reply 7
I am interested in taking exams in November 2018 (AS) and june 2019 (A2) . As I can see in edexcel site there will be reformed the qualifications for first teaching 2018 and first assessment 2019. So, I will be examined with previous system or the new one? Thank you!
Reply 8
A student taking a uk A level from EDEXCEL will be expected to successfully complete a number of defined practical activities that will be observed snd marked by their teachers. Although the results don't count towards the a level grade, successful completion is recorded as a pass in the endorsement of their practical skills. Most universities require a pass in the practical as part of entry requirements.

For IAL there is no practical endorsement, practical knowledge is assessed through written exam papers.

Thank you very much!
Reply 9
1. if someone outside the UK should take IAL or Alevel exams [IAL imo]
2. Also, as I can see in IAL Physics there are 5 seperate units something that doesn't happen in ALevel (edexcel) ,is it true?[ you would have to comare the specifications p1-4]
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Physics/2015/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/PearsonEdexcel-Alevel-Physics-Spec.pdf

Look up the degree courses for naval engineering and they will say what they require. Might just say physics but ask the unis.

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/engineering/undergraduate/courses/maritime_engineering/h500_meng_ship_science_naval_engineering.page#entry_requirements%0A____________________

IAL are made of the mark from AS +A2
If you take the linear A level i.e 2 years and exams at the end , then either will do.

I would take IAL for ease of sitting n your country and the fact you can do half marks in AS and then the other half in A2 rather than 100% at the end of 2 years.

Thank you very much for the reply, I really appreciate it! When should I sit for exams in order to be accepted to start my uni studies on September 2019? When should I apply for in universities? Thank you!!
Original post by physion
Thank you very much for the reply, I really appreciate it! When should I sit for exams in order to be accepted to start my uni studies on September 2019? When should I apply for in universities? Thank you!!

If you intend to attend UK uni for September 2019, then you need your results before then. the last session before that date would be Summer 2019. That is when UK students for that period will be sitting them.

This gives you ideas on key dates for an application year.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/events/find/scheme/undergraduate/type/key-date

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/ucas-undergraduate-when-apply
Reply 11
If you intend to attend UK uni for September 2019, then you need your results before then. the last session before that date would be Summer 2019. That is when UK students for that period will be sitting them.

This gives you ideas on key dates for an application year.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/events/find/scheme/undergraduate/type/key-date

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/ucas-undergraduate-when-apply

Thanks a lot! very helpful!
Reply 12
Any idea about where to find ebook/ resources/ notes for International A level Physics (Edexcel) ? I have for Alevels but not for IAL.. Many thanks in advance!
Original post by physion
Thanks a lot! very helpful!

You should also decide which A or IAL levels you are doing and start looking at dates for exam fee entry plus you may also have to book your test centre. Normally your school does this, but if you are a private candidate then its your responsibility t get it all sorted.

As you probably know A levels in the UK are mostly linear i.e all marks are for the exam after 2 years, but IAL consist of the marks from AS and A2, so 50% for each. I think thats the case but get it checked out.
Reply 14
You should also decide which A or IAL levels you are doing and start looking at dates for exam fee entry plus you may also have to book your test centre. Normally your school does this, but if you are a private candidate then its your responsibility t get it all sorted.

As you probably know A levels in the UK are mostly linear i.e all marks are for the exam after 2 years, but IAL consist of the marks from AS and A2, so 50% for each. I think thats the case but get it checked out.

Thank you once more! You are very helpful!
Reply 15
One question about October IAL period exams. Could anyone sit in this period or only those who sat in June period and failed? Moreover is this period more tough than other periods? I am interested about Physics sub. Thank you!
Original post by physion
One question about October IAL period exams. Could anyone sit in this period or only those who sat in June period and failed? Moreover is this period more tough than other periods? I am interested about Physics sub. Thank you!

There are no restrictions on who can enter for october IAL exams but they are not offered for all subjects/units and they are not offered by exam centres in all countries.
Reply 17
OK Thanks a lot!
Reply 18
Does anyone know if a student of IAL could sit for 4 units in IAL Physics in the same exam period (e.g. May 2019) or is there any restriction to 3 units?
Original post by physion
Does anyone know if a student of IAL could sit for 4 units in IAL Physics in the same exam period (e.g. May 2019) or is there any restriction to 3 units?

There are no restrictions on which EDEXCEL IAL units you take in which exam period or how many. If the the unit exam is offered by EDEXCEL and is made available in your exam centre you can enter for it. All units are offered in May / June.

Quick Reply

Latest