The Student Room Group

Jaguar Land Rover Assessment Centre

Hey guys, I have my Jaguar Land Rover Assessment Centre next week on Wednesday. The apprenticeship is an ADVANCED MANUFACTURING apprenticeship. I was wondering whether some has had it, or will be having it soon. I would like to know, how did you go about preparing for it? What kind of information should I look into and research? Are there any specific things they look for in candidates? Also, how was the group session? What did you have to discuss? If they ask about issues the company is facing what things would they be interested in? Any help would be greatly appreciated guys, and it would mean a lot to me if I were to be successful. Anyone else who has applied best of luck to you too and I hope you are successful too 😀.
Reply 1
Original post by Aqeel2085
Hey guys, I have my Jaguar Land Rover Assessment Centre next week on Wednesday. The apprenticeship is an ADVANCED MANUFACTURING apprenticeship. I was wondering whether some has had it, or will be having it soon. I would like to know, how did you go about preparing for it? What kind of information should I look into and research? Are there any specific things they look for in candidates? Also, how was the group session? What did you have to discuss? If they ask about issues the company is facing what things would they be interested in? Any help would be greatly appreciated guys, and it would mean a lot to me if I were to be successful. Anyone else who has applied best of luck to you too and I hope you are successful too 😀.

This thread from 2014 has a lot of discussion regarding the advanced, more so than any of the more recent threads about JLR
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2590406#primary_content

You'll have a practical, a group discussion, a formal interview and a fact find.

Group discussion is task based.

What do you know about JLR currently? What interests you in working for JLR?
Reply 2
Original post by Tubbz
This thread from 2014 has a lot of discussion regarding the advanced, more so than any of the more recent threads about JLR
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2590406#primary_content

You'll have a practical, a group discussion, a formal interview and a fact find.

Group discussion is task based.

What do you know about JLR currently? What interests you in working for JLR?

Thanks tubbz, I'll have a look at that. I'm interested in Jaguar because I I know they are the they're the UK's leading investors in automotive development, so they're investing a lot into the growth of the company. But I was hoping to understand what they would want us to know about JLR, there's a lot of information about them and I don't really know a good starting point.
Reply 3
Thanks tubbz, I'll have a look at that. I'm interested in Jaguar because I I know they are the they're the UK's leading investors in automotive development, so they're investing a lot into the growth of the company. But I was hoping to understand what they would want us to know about JLR, there's a lot of information about them and I don't really know a good starting point.

The assessment centres are pretty much exclusively about getting to know you and making sure you're the right candidate, I don't think I was asked anything about JLR as a company when I went through mine.
Reply 4
Original post by Tubbz
The assessment centres are pretty much exclusively about getting to know you and making sure you're the right candidate, I don't think I was asked anything about JLR as a company when I went through mine.

Do you remember what kind of questions they asked you? Also, how was the maths related side? As I haven't done maths for a very long time.
Reply 5
I didn't have any questions about JLR in mine - however if you did want to stand out in the interview it may be worthwhile asking a few questions about JLR yourself. The questions will centre around your interest in Engineering and the job.
Reply 6
Thanks Xander, that's really helpful, I've so far used the questions they could ask and developed my own answers for them. I've done research into their history, and challenges they may face.
Reply 7
Do you remember what kind of questions they asked you? Also, how was the maths related side? As I haven't done maths for a very long time.

No, sorry, was a long time ago. My best advice would be asking about electrification of vehicles, and moving production overseas (look up where the current and future plants are)

The maths should be quite straightforward for the advanced, it's meant to show you're at the base level and they'll pull you up to where they need you to be.
Remember to tell them that the Jaguar XJS was a masterpiece.

Because it was, and they need reminding of that.
Reply 9
Thanks guys, I can't thank you enough for the information. I just wanted to also add, do I need to remember specific things relating to any of the models of the car? For example with the XJS? Are there any specific dates and figures they want us to know? Thank you in advance guys.
Reply 10
Thanks guys, I can't thank you enough for the information. I just wanted to also add, do I need to remember specific things relating to any of the models of the car? For example with the XJS? Are there any specific dates and figures they want us to know? Thank you in advance guys.

If you're genuinely interested, just convey that. I know you're trying to secure a job, but don't go over the top. Focus on current models, banging on about a 40 year old GT car isn't going to do you many favours when they're trying to find people.

Just chill, relax, be yourself and ask any questions that you may be interested in.

"Oh I love the jag XJS"

Yeah... I wasn't even alive when we made that *eye roll*

Don't get too hung up on it all, just let it flow naturally.
Reply 11
thanks Tubbz, yeah it would make it easier not having to talk about models from the 70's when I wasn't even born, I'll focus on current models. One question about the maths, do you remember the style of questions? my brother did say have a look at percentage increase and decrease but couldn't remember what he did for his internship. thanks again in advance everyone
Hi, how did u get on with JLR? My son went same time and is still waiting to hear if he got in or not?
Reply 13
Original post by cakemaker
Hi, how did u get on with JLR? My son went same time and is still waiting to hear if he got in or not?

Hi there, thankfully I was able to get it, along with a few others on the forum. There's is another thread which was created which I was using to communicate with other applicants also. I have heard it can be a wait with JLR so don't lose hope, as the majority of us were told we'd hear back after 2 weeks but for me it was nearly 3, some have said it takes months until they hear back so hopefully he should be okay. If you do want an update you could try and contact them on a recruitment phone number, your son would've recieved emails from them and it should be there, or you can have a look online and should be able to find it.
Hi there, thankfully I was able to get it, along with a few others on the forum. There's is another thread which was created which I was using to communicate with other applicants also. I have heard it can be a wait with JLR so don't lose hope, as the majority of us were told we'd hear back after 2 weeks but for me it was nearly 3, some have said it takes months until they hear back so hopefully he should be okay. If you do want an update you could try and contact them on a recruitment phone number, your son would've recieved emails from them and it should be there, or you can have a look online and should be able to find it.

Hi, thanks for replying, congratulation on getting on the scheme. My lad found out yesterday he is on the reserve list, so he'll be waiting till August for others to get their GCSE results to see if any spaces open up.
Reply 15
Original post by cakemaker
Hi, thanks for replying, congratulation on getting on the scheme. My lad found out yesterday he is on the reserve list, so he'll be waiting till August for others to get their GCSE results to see if any spaces open up.

Thank you, yeah hopefully he should be able to get a space of someone chooses not to accept their offer, and it does happen when people.just change their mind and go to university or get an apprenticeship with another company. Good luck to him and I hope the best :smile:
Reply 16
Hello All,

I have an assessment centre coming up for the Advanced Apprenticeship Manufacturing role.

I was wondering if anyone who has attended the assessment centre can tell me what took place on the day specifically.

I understand there is a practical, a group discussion, a formal interview and a fact find - can anyone be more specific on the practical, group discussion and fact find and what it entailed?

Thank you.

J
Hi broCan you help us out and give us some info about the assessment day ?
No he can't

Original post by Shak2021
Hi broCan you help us out and give us some info about the assessment day ?

Quick Reply