The Student Room Group

Speech and language therapy 2018 entry

Scroll to see replies

I am a mature student (51) that completed the Access course over 1 year last year, I am now in my first year of study at Birmingham City Uni on the SLT course, so I know how you are all feeling about the interviews etc.

Whilst I had a little experience of working with an SLT in my previous job it was very limited, but from what Ican see of the course so far (very limited but very
intence) the advise that Giella gave is very true, they want to see the potential you have to become a good SLT, not the polished final version hopefully we will
become that over the next few years. everybody has some qualities to offer towards a role of this nature and by showing them qualities is a good stepping stone
togetting on the course (I never thought I would be where I am now as i have never had a good interview before in my life, but dreams do happen). Remember
the course is about COMMUNICATION and as long as you can communicate with confidance then hopefully you will be successful.

Good luck to you all and hopefully I will see some of you next year ( bit biased but BCU is fantastic, the tutors are great and the course seems intense but well
paced at the moment. But all students would say that)
Original post by Mark Bunce
I am a mature student (51) that completed the Access course over 1 year last year, I am now in my first year of study at Birmingham City Uni on the SLT course, so I know how you are all feeling about the interviews etc.

Whilst I had a little experience of working with an SLT in my previous job it was very limited, but from what Ican see of the course so far (very limited but very
intence) the advise that Giella gave is very true, they want to see the potential you have to become a good SLT, not the polished final version hopefully we will
become that over the next few years. everybody has some qualities to offer towards a role of this nature and by showing them qualities is a good stepping stone
togetting on the course (I never thought I would be where I am now as i have never had a good interview before in my life, but dreams do happen). Remember
the course is about COMMUNICATION and as long as you can communicate with confidance then hopefully you will be successful.

Good luck to you all and hopefully I will see some of you next year ( bit biased but BCU is fantastic, the tutors are great and the course seems intense but well

Thanks! I have an interview at BCU later in the month :smile:
Reply 42
Does anyone else have interviews at DMU, BCU or Cardiff Metropolitan university for Speech and Language? Or anybody have any idea what the day will be like?
Reply 43
Has anyone one heard back from man met yet?
Reply 44
Hi! Are you are current SLT student? It would be great to get an idea of your typical week? Time in lectures etc? Thank you
QUOTE=giella;74499308]Good luck everyone. Don't worry about how much you know. They're looking for potential for the undergraduate course, not the finished article or even the half finished article. We find out on placement how little we actually know even when we've graduated. Until you see things day in day out it's almost impossible to appreciate fully what the role of an SLT is.
All that said, though, the key qualities they're looking for match closely the competencies they expect to see in a fully qualified SLT. And there are plenty of ways to demonstrate those.
Have a look at band five person specifications if you like and try to think of examples where you've done something that demonstrates that quality or skill. That's as good a way as any to prepare for the interviews. Particularly where they run multiple mini interviews each question is targeting a specific thing from those competencies. So make sure you can think of specific and discrete examples for each. Best way you can prepare.

But don't try to sell yourself as knowing it all. I tell my past version of me: you know nothing! Because I really didn't. I knew just enough to know that it interested me and had just enough life experiences to know that I would probably manage certain aspects of the job and the course okay. And that was enough.

Don't underestimate it, definitely, and do try to reflect on how language and swallowing difficulties affect people's lives. Food and conversation are two of the things that make life most enjoyable. It can't be too hard to realise how your quality of life would be diminished if you lost or never had one or both! If it is hard, you're probably applying for the wrong course!
Reply 45
Thanks for this info! Can you give us an idea of your typical week please?

Original post by Eeyore 17

Reply 46
Original post by WJo
Hi! Are you are current SLT student? It would be great to get an idea of your typical week? Time in lectures etc? Thank you
QUOTE=giella;74499308]Good luck everyone. Don't worry about how much you know. They're looking for potential for the undergraduate course, not the finished article or even the half finished article. We find out on placement how little we actually know even when we've graduated. Until you see things day in day out it's almost impossible to appreciate fully what the role of an SLT is.
All that said, though, the key qualities they're looking for match closely the competencies they expect to see in a fully qualified SLT. And there are plenty of ways to demonstrate those.
Have a look at band five person specifications if you like and try to think of examples where you've done something that demonstrates that quality or skill. That's as good a way as any to prepare for the interviews. Particularly where they run multiple mini interviews each question is targeting a specific thing from those competencies. So make sure you can think of specific and discrete examples for each. Best way you can prepare.

But don't try to sell yourself as knowing it all. I tell my past version of me: you know nothing! Because I really didn't. I knew just enough to know that it interested me and had just enough life experiences to know that I would probably manage certain aspects of the job and the course okay. And that was enough.

Don't underestimate it, definitely, and do try to reflect on how language and swallowing difficulties affect people's lives. Food and conversation are two of the things that make life most enjoyable. It can't be too hard to realise how your quality of life would be diminished if you lost or never had one or both! If it is hard, you're probably applying for the wrong course!

A typical week is a bit hard to describe. It depends which semester you're in, whether you get block or weekly placements and what your personal situation is.

You can expect a minimum of 8 hours lectures and tutorials a week on most courses in most years. There's a lot to know. The best way to approach it is as a full time job and devote 35 a week to the course in terms of additional reading and accessing resources. Realistically, most people don't but it's definitely a goal.

A lot of courses employ varied delivery styles with workshops, practicals, tutorials and labs as well as lectures. You spend a fair amount of time watching youtube videos and vimeo videos and discussing what you see. There are clinical skills to learn such as phonetics and transcription and linguistic analysis as well as theory. Your course might run workshops and role plays and you may have to spend time familiarising yourself with assessment materials, either as part of your official contact time or in your spare time. However, the majority of your contact time, it is safe to say, will be spent in front of a projector screen and listening to the lecture. As I said, there's a lot to know.

Staying on top of your reading is the goal. This is where your learning takes place, that and placement. Not much learning takes place in the lecture hall. That just provides the framework for your learning. You're fully expected to be independent learners now. If you are a first time student, try and fill some of your time with bringing your study skills up to date in the first year as well. It never hurts to maintain them either.
Reply 47
Original post by giella
A typical week is a bit hard to describe. It depends which semester you're in, whether you get block or weekly placements and what your personal situation is.

You can expect a minimum of 8 hours lectures and tutorials a week on most courses in most years. There's a lot to know. The best way to approach it is as a full time job and devote 35 a week to the course in terms of additional reading and accessing resources. Realistically, most people don't but it's definitely a goal.

A lot of courses employ varied delivery styles with workshops, practicals, tutorials and labs as well as lectures. You spend a fair amount of time watching youtube videos and vimeo videos and discussing what you see. There are clinical skills to learn such as phonetics and transcription and linguistic analysis as well as theory. Your course might run workshops and role plays and you may have to spend time familiarising yourself with assessment materials, either as part of your official contact time or in your spare time. However, the majority of your contact time, it is safe to say, will be spent in front of a projector screen and listening to the lecture. As I said, there's a lot to know.

Staying on top of your reading is the goal. This is where your learning takes place, that and placement. Not much learning takes place in the lecture hall. That just provides the framework for your learning. You're fully expected to be independent learners now. If you are a first time student, try and fill some of your time with bringing your study skills up to date in the first year as well. It never hurts to maintain them either.

Where are you studying
Reply 48
Original post by Samowen86
Has anyone one heard back from man met yet?

I have had a conditional off them! how about you?
Reply 49
Original post by cemh08
I have had a conditional off them! how about you?

Nothing as of yet, I’ve had an offer at UoM though
Reply 50
Original post by Samowen86
Nothing as of yet, I’ve had an offer at UoM though

i have an interview with UoM on the 1st of Feb. I also have an interview with Cardiff Met next Saturday.

Congrats on your offer!
Has anyone had an interview at Birmingham City? The interview seems really different to the others as there's written part to it so could anyone tell me how they found theirs?
Reply 52
Original post by cemh08
i have an interview with UoM on the 1st of Feb. I also have an interview with Cardiff Met next Saturday.

Congrats on your offer!

And on yours. Good luck with your interviews. X
Reply 53
Original post by cemh08

Congrats on your offer!

Oh, I have my Cardiff Met interview next Saturday-! It's my first choice, I hope I get it-!

I've had a couple of interviews and offers so far, but this is the one I really want.

Good luck to everyone interviewing!
Reply 54
I have my first interview on Saturday, just wondering do people usually bring their parents to interview days or are most people on their own? I had an email from Cardiff Met that parents are accommodated for but wasn't sure if that is the norm?
Original post by ksully
I have my first interview on Saturday, just wondering do people usually bring their parents to interview days or are most people on their own? I had an email from Cardiff Met that parents are accommodated for but wasn't sure if that is the norm?

Yer loads of people bring their parents! They can sit in during the talk if the uni offers it then wait somewhere while u do the actual interview :smile:
Hi Guys,
Hoping someone can help me out in here! I applied to BCU on the 14th, I was just wondering what your experiences were with them getting back to you? I've uploaded all my GCSE certificates I'm just getting nervy now I feel like a slave to my emails.
Reply 57
Original post by harriet__c
Hi Guys,
Hoping someone can help me out in here! I applied to BCU on the 14th, I was just wondering what your experiences were with them getting back to you? I've uploaded all my GCSE certificates I'm just getting nervy now I feel like a slave to my emails.

I applied on the same day and have also uploaded my certificates and not heard anything yet
Original post by jade78
I applied on the same day and have also uploaded my certificates and not heard anything yet

Ok, glad to hear it's not just me it's v stressful!
Has anyone had an interview at reading yet? It seems very different to the others I've been too so very nervous about what to expect!

Quick Reply

Latest