The Student Room Group

Help! I hate my a level choice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by confused888
I really dislike one of my subjects, Psychology! Also I didn’t realise how unrespected it is. I regret picking it and its only been 2 months into the course. I know its too late to change it at my school, but should I try and beg them anyway? I can’t imagine myself doing it for another 2 years, I wish I had picked politics instead which I have a great passion for. Should I try to change it even though I would have lots of word to catch up on? Or shall I just drag on with psychology for the next 2 years?

psychology might not be as pure of a science as biology or chemistry, but i'd say it's still a pretty legit subject. there's loads of maths involved with it, and it has loads of applications to real life. so yeah...can't say i agree with you there.
Reply 21
If your school offered Sociology I would switch it with Psychology because it's got a bit of Politics and social policy in it it's much more enjoyable and relatable. Politics seem a little boring tbh that's what I first wanted to do but not enough people picked it and i'm glad i'm doing sociology now.
I really dislike one of my subjects, Psychology! Also I didn’t realise how unrespected it is. I regret picking it and its only been 2 months into the course. I know its too late to change it at my school, but should I try and beg them anyway? I can’t imagine myself doing it for another 2 years, I wish I had picked politics instead which I have a great passion for. Should I try to change it even though I would have lots of word to catch up on? Or shall I just drag on with psychology for the next 2 years?

I think you've probably left it too late. Two months is quite a lot of content missed. It's a bit strange that you've left it so late - perhaps you're just an indecisive person, like me. Anyway, I can tell you that I know of people who did Psychology at A-Level and went on to study Medicine and it's not as unrespected as other topics - sure it's weaker, perhaps moreso than Politics, but both of them are still not 'core' subjects like English or Maths.

I think it hinges on whether you really hate the content, but I would ask you to ask yourself if you have found the content and questions thus far in Psychology to be difficult or not? Perhaps as a balancing act, you should think about how likely you are to do well in it rather than whether you find it not interesting. Given the time that's passed, a more pragmatic approach is perhaps called for.

Finally, you're doing a BTEC as well, right - or other A-Levels? Concentrate on them! I doubt Psychology is that difficult any way. Why did you choose it in the first place? There must have been some reason why you chose it?

I would suggest approaching the Politics teacher and asking them if they think it's too difficult to catch up. I would say, it is achievable IF you put a lot of time into catching up over the Christmas holidays. This purely depends on how ambitious you are to study Politics rather than Psychology. You might start catching up, then feeling as if it's not worth it given you've already studied so much material in Psychology. So weigh this up.

The grade you get is the most important. Remember this. I'd personally err on the safe side and stick with Psychology, but that may also be because I'd find at least SOME interest in it. And really lastly, put this all in context - it's A-Levels! It's not a Degree choice! I retropectively would have probably changed choosing History for Further Maths, but there would have been advantages and disadvantages to this change, as with everything. Hope this helps.
Reply 23
I am in the exact same situation but in year 13 with the subject I hate because I wasn't allowed to drop it or change and as I had to re-sit my maths GCSE last year I didn't get to choose a 4th AS so it was a true nightmare. Anyway, change if you can because it hasn't gotten any better for me and its my worst subject too. Also, I do politics an its my favourite subject easily and its also my best. You really do better when you actually enjoy a subject.
Reply 24
Original post by Beautystyle12
If you do not like it do not do it, believe me within the first month I asked if I could change it as I didn't understand it and the college said 'no you will be fine etc- making up excuses because THE COLLEGE GETS PAID FOR ANYONE DOING A LEVELS- I WANTED TO DROP IT TO DO ONE A LEVEL ANDBTEC. THEY DIDN'T LISTEN TO ME FOR MONTHS.
Also psychology is going to have more content in the future. Follow your passion!
(Sorry for caps lock_).

how many months did it take to let you change? im on the same boat trying to drop psychology since the start of december. ive caught up on history which is the one i want to do but they wont let me
Original post by maysaah
how many months did it take to let you change? im on the same boat trying to drop psychology since the start of december. ive caught up on history which is the one i want to do but they wont let me

They did not let me. Saying my grades were OK ( E AND U GRADES.)
If you constantly tell and remind them they should change. It would be good to change within the first three months.
Or restart year 12 with new subjects (or the same ones- you are comfortable with.)
It varies from college/sixthforms.
If they do not listen- take it to higher authority.

What don’t you like about psychology?? I’m taking it next year :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest