The Student Room Group

Social media question

Hi all,
Have to answer an exam question on social media and thought of some ideas (educate and communicate) but was wondering if anyone had any other helpful ideas that I could write about as well. The question is:
To what extent does social media have a positive impact on a young person's life?
If any ideas please comment, I would be very grateful - thanks!!!
Can allow for motivation to improve your life. Such as when I watch revision youtubers, it motivates me to work!
Reply 2
Original post by rhianx
Hi all,
Have to answer an exam question on social media and thought of some ideas (educate and communicate) but was wondering if anyone had any other helpful ideas that I could write about as well. The question is:
To what extent does social media have a positive impact on a young person's life?
If any ideas please comment, I would be very grateful - thanks!!!

Ahh thats similar to my dissertation topic, but mine is something like in what extent do internet as Web 2.0 affect political movement.

Let's assume what you define as social media is same as the popular term Social Networking Sites (SNS) and Web 2.0.

Generally, we can summarize in three points:
1. It creates a secure space for users to discuss political views opposes to the current local authority(Facebook Group).
2. it reduces the cost to communicate with people by using mobile apps(transportation cost, life risk, data cost .etc)(Whatsapp, Telegram)
3. SNS replaces traditional media, as traditional media can be easily manipulated by authoritarian government(China, Russia, any place in middle east).

Example of internet political movement:
2014 Hong Kong Umbrella Revolution(Proud to be one of them)
Egyptian revolution of 2011
Iranian protest
Taiwan Sunflower movement (forgot the exact name)
Reply 3
Original post by KeirCKF
Ahh thats similar to my dissertation topic, but mine is something like in what extent do internet as Web 2.0 affect political movement.

Let's assume what you define as social media is same as the popular term Social Networking Sites (SNS) and Web 2.0.

1. It creates a secure space for users to discuss political views opposes to the current local authority(Facebook Group).
2. it reduces the cost to communicate with people by using mobile apps(transportation cost, life risk, data cost .etc)(Whatsapp, Telegram)
3. SNS replaces traditional media, as traditional media can be easily manipulated by authoritarian government(China, Russia, any place in middle east).

Example of internet political movement:
Egyptian revolution of 2011
Iranian protest
Taiwan Sunflower movement (forgot the exact name)

Thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by Noodlestudent
Can allow for motivation to improve your life. Such as when I watch revision youtubers, it motivates me to work!

Thank you very much!
Original post by KeirCKF

Cool! How is that movement going these days? It hasn't been covered much in our media.

Original post by KeirCKF

I'm just curious what you mean here.

I'd have thought that a Facebook group is one of the least secure places you can choose to discuss Wrongthink. A record of everything you say is stored, it is linked to your FB account, which is usually under your real name, and AFAIK it isn't even encrypted.
Reply 6
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Cool! How is that movement going these days? It hasn't been covered much in our media.

I'm just curious what you mean here.

I'd have thought that a Facebook group is one of the least secure places you can choose to discuss Wrongthink. A record of everything you say is stored, it is linked to your FB account, which is usually under your real name, and AFAIK it isn't even encrypted.

I have been to UK since 2016, my information may not be up to date. As far as I know some have been jailed some have been released, theres one studying at LSE for postgraduate right now, the rest are continuing their battle at HK. They have divided to two campaign: 1) Pro-democracy and 2) Hong Kong independence.

According to Guardians news Facebook File section, it said Facebook has never sold any information to government. And seriously no one use real identity on Facebook anymore nowadays right lol?

Quick Reply

Latest