The Student Room Group

Oxbridge A level requirements for a History degree?

I'm wondering if it would be possible to study History at Oxford or Cambridge with A levels in History, English Literature and Art & Design, presuming you got A* in History and As in the others?
I might be answering my own question but would they rather you did another essay-based subject like Politics even though that's not a facilitating subject?
My friend and I applied to Oxbridge, she went for History at Oxford.

Oxford ask for AAA, I feel like Cambridge is A*AA but you'll have to check. Usually Oxbridge aren't fussed with what your other A-levels are in, so don't pick Politics over Art and Design if you don't really want to do it. English is already another essay-based subject

Also remember that Oxbridge applications are earlier, and that there are other things to do as part of the application process, like the History Aptitude Test (HAT)

Best thing to do is to go to an open day, I'm guessing you're year 11? So you've got a bit more time to look into all of that :smile:
Original post by 00Pound
I'm wondering if it would be possible to study History at Oxford or Cambridge with A levels in History, English Literature and Art & Design, presuming you got A* in History and As in the others?
I might be answering my own question but would they rather you did another essay-based subject like Politics even though that's not a facilitating subject?

As above. Politics would be better in some ways, including its relationship to History, but there's no point in studying a subject you don't like and might not do so well in. Two facilitating subjects is fine.

Cambridge do indeed require A*AA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by 00Pound

Just wondering if any of the Oxford Admission Tutors had any thoughts on this?
Original post by 00Pound
Just wondering if any of the Oxford Admission Tutors had any thoughts on this?

@BrasenoseAdm
Original post by ageshallnot
And perhaps @Christ's Admissions ?
I mean they asked for Oxford,:tongue: but the thread is about both.:yep:
Original post by 04MR17
I mean they asked for Oxford,:tongue: but the thread is about both.:yep:

True... But which of the gods will respond first to the pleas of their minions??? :tongue:
Original post by 00Pound

For Oxford, the entry requirements are AAA (here). The HAT and written work are key.

Oxford publish the subject requirements here. The only recommended 'A' level is History. There are none that are "Essential" or "Helpful". So, for Oxford, only History is of any consequence - pick what you most enjoy for your others. The selection criteria are here.

Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by RogerOxon
For Oxford, the entry requirements are AAA (here). The HAT and written work are key.

Oxford publish the subject requirements here. The only recommended 'A' level is History. There are none that are "Essential" or "Helpful". So, for Oxford, only History is of any consequence - pick what you most enjoy for your others. The selection criteria are here.

Good luck!

Thank you. It would be good to hear from Admissions tutors too. Both Cambridge and Oxford please?!

Thanks for the summons.

We would be fine with this combination of subjects.
Original post by 00Pound
Thank you. It would be good to hear from Admissions tutors too. Both Cambridge and Oxford please?!

We would be fine with this combination of subjects, too.
Original post by 00Pound

Aaaand there you have your answers! 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I'm currently doing 4 subjects: History, English LIt and Art A levels and a pre-U in History of Art.

I'm seriously thinking about History as a degree, or History of Art, or a combined degree of those 2 subjects.

Four A levels in these subjects might be too much. So, f I need to drop an A level, in which case it's likely to be English Lit, would I be at a disadvantage if I'm aiming high with unis like Oxbridge, St Andrews or Durham? Other options are Exeter, Bristol and Edinbugh.

Dropping English Lit would leave me with only one facilitating subject - History. Maybe having a pre U would help?
(edited 5 years ago)
I’m currently doing A2’s in History, Government and Politics and Geography, and I’m applying for History at Oxford, Durham, Exeter, UCL and Lancaster/Bristol. Those sound like pretty solid choices to me, especially if you are looking at a potential for History of Art. English Lit I took to AS Level, and dropped it at the end of year 12, so I feel like those are pretty good choices to be honest. Good luck!
Original post by 00Pound
I'm currently doing 4 subjects: History, English LIt and Art A levels and a pre-U in History of Art.

I'm seriously thinking about History as a degree, or History of Art, or a combined degree of those 2 subjects.

Four A levels in these subjects might be too much. So, f I need to drop an A level, in which case it's likely to be English Lit, would I be at a disadvantage if I'm aiming high with unis like Oxbridge, St Andrews or Durham? Other options are Exeter, Bristol and Edinbugh.

Dropping English Lit would leave me with only one facilitating subject - History. Maybe having a pre U would help?
It wouldn't make a massive difference no, is the answer to your question.

It's also useful to just make one thread on your question, instead of 5.:wink: Especially when you've already had the advice from Oxford and Cambridge admissions reps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending