The Student Room Group

Anyone taken a year out to do research?

Want to take a year out so I can do a research placement some point on my 4 year course as I want to do a PhD afterwards. Anyone had any experience with doing one? Know where I should look for one? Study Astrophysics MPhys 4yr course.
Reply 1
Original post by pompeyranger
Want to take a year out so I can do a research placement some point on my 4 year course as I want to do a PhD afterwards. Anyone had any experience with doing one? Know where I should look for one? Study Astrophysics MPhys 4yr course.

Why do you want to take a year out and by research placement do you mean in a university department?

Most people who go on to do PhDs won't have done this. It's fairly common to do summer projects (normally 6-8 weeks) to give you an idea of what research is like, but I've never heard of a whole year one. I doubt you'll have enough knowledge to spend a whole year researching before the end of your 4th year either.
Original post by AstroST
Why do you want to take a year out and by research placement do you mean in a university department?

Most people who go on to do PhDs won't have done this. It's fairly common to do summer projects (normally 6-8 weeks) to give you an idea of what research is like, but I've never heard of a whole year one. I doubt you'll have enough knowledge to spend a whole year researching before the end of your 4th year either.

We were told that getting our names on any research paper would help our chances for a PhD placement so trying to get on a research project as an assistant or any type would greatly boost that chance.
Reply 3
We were told that getting our names on any research paper would help our chances for a PhD placement so trying to get on a research project as an assistant or any type would greatly boost that chance.

I can see that that would be true, but I don't think that needs you to take a year out. I'm certainly not aware of any PhD students or 4th years applying for PhDs at Cambridge (where I'm studying astrophysics) who've taken a year out, although many did summer projects.

What year are you in and were you specifically recommended to take a year out?

I would definitely recommend doing at the very least summer placements--as many as possible! Depending on what Uni you're in, there are various schemes (such as your physics department/SEPnet, etc.) that can help you gain pure research placements.

I would recommend that you try one of these out first before going on to do a full year in research (if this is still possible in what year of the course you're on). Research and academia are not for everyone--it's very competitive, draining, and takes a lot of gumption. Alongside this of course, it's very rewarding! I don't want to deter you, but many people realise that they actually don't like the environment when it's already too late.

If it's not possible to try out a summer placement before a year-long one, be aware that full year research placements (in academia) are, as far as I'm aware, rarer than the summer research placements. Try looking at laboratories, institutions, and telescopes directly--eg. CERN will offer a year-long placement.

Be aware they're very competitive and aimed at people further along in the course. If you want any tips or application help, let us know! Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending