The Student Room Group

One dead in Netherlands after shooting

One dead and several injured after a gunman open fire in the Netherlands in Central Amerstdam, Police have ruled out terrorism
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5317821/At-one-person-dead-shooting-central-Amsterdam.html
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Source: the Daily Mail

Yeah, I'll take this story with a pinch of salt (or ten).

In the Netherlands. gun ownership is restricted to law enforcement, hunters, and target shooters. Therefore gun crime doesn't exist as such.

Are you sure they didn't mean New Netherland in the US?
Original post by FriendlyPenguin

In the Netherlands. gun ownership is restricted to law enforcement, hunters, and target shooters. Therefore gun crime doesn't exist as such.

Well sure it don't take much for someone to get hold of a gun, it is clearly in Netherlands Amersterdam this has happened, it appears to be drug related.

https://www.nu.nl/binnenland/5106479/politie-zoekt-getuigen-schietpartij-wittenburg-dodelijk-slachtoffer-was-stagiair.html

It happened, apparently one of the people hit by a bullet was involved in another shooting last November. Not anything to be worried about though, these things are so rare here that it probs won't really make a blip
Far right Joes in America will use this as an excuse to say that Gun restrictions doesn't stop Gun crime and use this shooting as an example
Just shows how they don't care for the 13,286 deaths due to Gun crimes last year in their country because of lack of restrictions.
Reply 5
Original post by The PoliticalGuy
Far right Joes in America will use this as an excuse to say that Gun restrictions doesn't stop Gun crime and use this shooting as an example
Just shows how they don't care for the 13,286 deaths due to Gun crimes last year in their country because of lack of restrictions.

Conveniently ignored by the radical lefties: The vast majority of homicides occur in the 'inner city'. In Chicago [other major cities similar], more than 80% of homicide victims had a previous FELONY conviction. How many of your friends have felony convictions. For me, the answer is ZERO. Most 'illegal' weapons are imported by the drug gangs [to use for their own 'turf' enforcement, and to sell (along with their drugs)]. If you cannot stop illegal drug traffic by 'passing laws', HOW can you possible figure that passing another law prohibiting something will stop the trade in illegal guns???? Particularly when the drug gangs NEED the guns to transact their drug business??? Totally illogical!
Reply 6

What percentage of those are suicides? I'm sure most would agree in the case of suicide, the method barely has relevance.
Original post by Rock Fan
One dead and several injured after a gunman open fire in the Netherlands in Central Amerstdam, Police have ruled out terrorism
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5317821/At-one-person-dead-shooting-central-Amsterdam.html

Masked gunmen murder Mohammed, a member of a rival drug gang, in central Amsterdam in a hail of bullets from their AK47's, but because terrorism is ruled out we are good to go.

The bystanders weren't specifically targeted as infidels, in the Allah Akbar sense, they just got caught in the cross fire.

So not jihadism, just murderous criminality. Phew!
Reply 8
Original post by Jebedee
What percentage of those are suicides? I'm sure most would agree in the case of suicide, the method barely has relevance.

US has a homicide (doesn't include suicides) rate of 4.88 / 100,000 people.

For Netherlands it's 0.66 / 100,000.

The US is, by far, the most dangerous first world country.
Reply 9
Original post by Zeo6a7
US has a homicide (doesn't include suicides) rate of 4.88 / 100,000 people.

For Netherlands it's 0.66 / 100,000.

The US is, by far, the most dangerous first world country.

4.88 is still fairly small but global average. If you split this by state then it tells an interesting story. As in appears to get higher, the closer you get to Mexico.
Reply 10
Original post by Jebedee
4.88 is still fairly small but global average. If you split this by state then it tells an interesting story. As in appears to get higher, the closer you get to Mexico.

Are you really blaming Mexicans for Americans having a propensity for killing each other?

there are too many guns in circulation in US for any form of control to be effective, hence , best policy is to make sure the 'bad guys' aren't the only ones with them
Original post by So-Sarah
there are too many guns in circulation in US for any form of control to be effective, hence , best policy is to make sure the 'bad guys' aren't the only ones with them

But wouldn't you agree that higher gun restrictions would decrease gun crime. Guns are far too easy to access in some states and large parts of the US like how Stephen paddock the Las Vegas shooter obtained 59 weapons legally, these were newly bought guns from the shop.

Just to let you know Stephen Paddock had no previous criminal record.

How are we supposed to know who are the bad guys when people with no previous criminal record are taking part in these acts?
Some people would want an auto rifle for self defence, as a handgun would not be powerful enough - so why just let the crims have them?
Original post by Napp
Are you really blaming Mexicans for Americans having a propensity for killing each other?

Mexicos murder rate last year was 20.5. That should tell you at least that they have a higher propensity than native Americans.
Reply 15
Original post by Jebedee
Mexicos murder rate last year was 20.5. That should tell you at least that they have a higher propensity than native Americans.

What have Native Americans got to do with this sorry?
At any rate as i assume by 'native american' you mean africans and europeans in which ase they have one of the worst homicide rates in the developed world.

I do love how people treat the daily mail as a fake news source just because they don't like the paper's politics even though it is, whether you like it or not, actually a reputable news source. Sure, there is spin and some embellishment but the same is true of the sources I'm sure you prefer such as the guardian, independent , and BBC.

Also, "this didn't happen because strict regulation" is a *****y argument because there is this thing called "crime". In the UK handguns are effectively completely banned and yet we have about two dozen handgun homicides a year
But wouldn't you agree that higher gun restrictions would decrease gun crime. Guns are far too easy to access in some states and large parts of the US like how Stephen paddock the Las Vegas shooter obtained 59 weapons legally, these were newly bought guns from the shop.

Just to let you know Stephen Paddock had no previous criminal record.

How are we supposed to know who are the bad guys when people with no previous criminal record are taking part in these acts?

He did have a record and the record which effectively banned him from buying guns. The only guns or ammo he could legally buy would have had to be fully produced in state and he could not legally take any guns or ammo across state lines.
Reply 18
Original post by Jammy Duel
I do love how people treat the daily mail as a fake news source just because they don't like the paper's politics even though it is, whether you like it or not, actually a reputable news source. Sure, there is spin and some embellishment but the same is true of the sources I'm sure you prefer such as the guardian, independent , and BBC.

'there is spin and some embellishment' mmm just like saying having your leg ripped off might cause a little twinge.
It's not especially reputable though is it? The sheer volumes of 'corrections' [aka lies they were caught out on] they have to publish is ridiculous.
https://tabloidcorrections.wordpress.com/2018/01/02/statistics-show-that-daily-mail-was-by-far-the-most-unreliable-uk-paper-in-2017/
Original post by Napp
What have Native Americans got to do with this sorry?
At any rate as i assume by 'native american' you mean africans and europeans in which ase they have one of the worst homicide rates in the developed world.

Yes comparative natives as in within the last few centuries. Not native as in indigenous.

When you say Africans and Europeans have one of the worst homicide rates in the developed world. Aren't you just ignoring those you don't arbitrarily classing as not developed?

I know it's usually a waste of time asking you for backup sources, but I would like to see them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending