The Student Room Group

Have you ever gotten back with an ex?

My ex and I broke up because he was moving abroad for a year. I thought we would break up, not because I wanted to, but just because I know we're both too sensible and realistic and know that the best years of our lives shouldn't be spent in a LDR. Didn't make it an easy break up though.
Been nearly 2 years and I tried moving on but I realistically don't think I can ever fully move on until I'm in a new relationship. But I almost don't want to move on, because I'm not ready to close that chapter. When he came back, he wanted to give things another go. I was trying to be strong so I wouldn't get hurt again so I said no.
It's hard to move on because there's nothing to hate about him, our relationship was great and I haven't met anyone like him since.
Now that I've had time to think it over, I think I could be open to the idea of giving things another go but I know people in my life will try and convince me not to. When he previously asked to give things another go, I had too much going on at uni to even make time for him but now all that has settled down.

So question is, have any of you got back with an ex? Particularly if the the relationship ended well and there was no fighting or cheating. How did it work out? And if you chose not to get back with your ex, what was your reasoning for it?

My head is saying to forget about him and move forward but my heart is saying don't just throw away something that was so good especially if we both still want it back.

Like I said, this is mostly aimed at people whose relationships ended alright. I wouldn't get back with someone who cheated or if we had loads of problems while we were dating.
Definitely get back together if you both feel like it’s the best thing to do. You never know what will happen if you don’t try.

Me and my boyfriend broke up and then got back together. Even though he did hurt me in the past I also knew I would never get over him. I never went out with anyone else after him but he went out with another 2 girls but neither of them lasted.

I took a lot of thinking but We finally got back together and It’s currently been a year strong. we’re both so happy and have built such a strong relationship. It’s the best decision I’ve ever made.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
General rule is if you broke up for a specific circumstance which has no changed (i.e. distance, time etc), then sure, give it another go. If you broke up because of a characteristic or something that happened then stay away.
Original post by Anonymous
My ex and I broke up because he was moving abroad for a year. I thought we would break up, not because I wanted to, but just because I know we're both too sensible and realistic and know that the best years of our lives shouldn't be spent in a LDR. Didn't make it an easy break up though.
Been nearly 2 years and I tried moving on but I realistically don't think I can ever fully move on until I'm in a new relationship. But I almost don't want to move on, because I'm not ready to close that chapter. When he came back, he wanted to give things another go. I was trying to be strong so I wouldn't get hurt again so I said no.
It's hard to move on because there's nothing to hate about him, our relationship was great and I haven't met anyone like him since.
Now that I've had time to think it over, I think I could be open to the idea of giving things another go but I know people in my life will try and convince me not to. When he previously asked to give things another go, I had too much going on at uni to even make time for him but now all that has settled down.

So question is, have any of you got back with an ex? Particularly if the the relationship ended well and there was no fighting or cheating. How did it work out? And if you chose not to get back with your ex, what was your reasoning for it?

My head is saying to forget about him and move forward but my heart is saying don't just throw away something that was so good especially if we both still want it back.

Like I said, this is mostly aimed at people whose relationships ended alright. I wouldn't get back with someone who cheated or if we had loads of problems while we were dating.

Get back with the girl who emotionally abused me for a year and physically abused me twice?? No thanks

In your case though, I wouldnt see why not.
Hasn’t happened to me before but I don’t see any reason for you to not get back together with him,if he’s back for good and not planning to move abroad again
Reply 5
I got back with my ex after we broke up for a year when we were about 16/17. Been together for 9 years now since that break up and got married last year.

Getting back with an ex can work provided you both want to be together and are willing to make an effort and if you didn't break up in the first place due to serious reasons like abuse or cheating.
Why not try it? Make it clear that it’s not a long term thing for definite, and that you’ll end things if it’s not working out. You don’t want to be left wondering ‘what if?’ in years to come!
Reply 7
In your case, I'd definitely give it a try. It's not like he did something wrong plus he's back now
Reply 8
Original post by Charliehaley

I took a lot of thinking but We finally got back together and It’s currently been a year strong. we’re both so happy and have built such a strong relationship. It’s the best decision I’ve ever made.

Original post by Rum Ham
I got back with my ex after we broke up for a year when we were about 16/17. Been together for 9 years now since that break up and got married last year.

Ahh it's stories like this that make it so hard. I think I was kind of hoping for people to say it didn't work out so it'd make my decision easy. That's lovely to hear though. I think what worries me is that he already broke up with me once and was prepared to lose me. So who's to say he won't change his mind again and break up with me again. I think I'd almost feel like I had to be on my best behaviour because I know he's now capable of dumping me.
Reply 9
Original post by Dheorl
General rule is if you broke up for a specific circumstance which has no changed (i.e. distance, time etc), then sure, give it another go. If you broke up because of a characteristic or something that happened then stay away.

Original post by Jack22031994
Get back with the girl who emotionally abused me for a year and physically abused me twice?? No thanks

In your case though, I wouldnt see why not.

Original post by Izzayyyy
Hasn’t happened to me before but I don’t see any reason for you to not get back together with him,if he’s back for good and not planning to move abroad again

Original post by Saoirsedoherty
Why not try it? Make it clear that it’s not a long term thing for definite, and that you’ll end things if it’s not working out. You don’t want to be left wondering ‘what if?’ in years to come!

Original post by pandoma
In your case, I'd definitely give it a try. It's not like he did something wrong plus he's back now

Haha I don't think I was expecting everyone to agree. Thought there'd be people saying 'he's an ex for a reason' and don't do it. I'd like to talk to him again but after already saying no to him, I don't really know how to go about it. I don't know where his head is at now and I'm a bit too scared to ask in case he's changed his mind since he last wanted me back. Maybe he was just feeling lonely and wanted the comfort of someone familiar. Maybe that's what I want as well. I was so sure that I wasn't going to get back with him.
Original post by Anonymous
Haha I don't think I was expecting everyone to agree. Thought there'd be people saying 'he's an ex for a reason' and don't do it. I'd like to talk to him again but after already saying no to him, I don't really know how to go about it. I don't know where his head is at now and I'm a bit too scared to ask in case he's changed his mind since he last wanted me back. Maybe he was just feeling lonely and wanted the comfort of someone familiar. Maybe that's what I want as well. I was so sure that I wasn't going to get back with him.

Its different for you as you didnt realy break up. It was him going abroad so there was no breakdown if the relationship.

compared to mine....
What was his reason for going abroad ???
Original post by Jack22031994
Its different for you as you didnt realy break up. It was him going abroad so there was no breakdown if the relationship.

compared to mine....

True. We could have done long distance if we really wanted to though and really saw a future
Original post by Izzayyyy
What was his reason for going abroad ???

It was part of his degree to spend a year abroad. I knew I shouldn't get involved with him because our relationship would most likely end before he went away. But heart was ruling over head
I would meet up with him and just talk things through, because if you really enjoyed your time together before he went away then there’s no harm in seeing if you can get that again.
Yes. Although I was 14-18 and so emotionally immature.
I wouldn't get back with any of my exes now.
In your case I don't see why you shouldn't give it another go though
Reply 16
Hi, I came across this post while researching what to do in my situation. Could you share what happened in the end? Did you get back together and stay together?

Latest

Trending

Trending