The Student Room Group

What is the significance of the thermohaline circulation

The only thing I can think of is the fact that it affects global climate, but how

I also need another point and explanation
Original post by Frank Peters
The only thing I can think of is the fact that it affects global climate, but how

I also need another point and explanation

I've studied thermohaline circulation in a couple of my degree modules, so I can give you a few points based on that :smile:

Thermohaline circulation basically refers to large-scale circulation of ocean currents around the globe, driven by variations in the salinity and temperature of the water, which affect its density. Water which is cold has a higher density, and water which is more saline also has a higher density, so both of these will sink.

Thermohaline circulation involves several large-scale ocean currents, which are linked together and transfer water masses between the oceans. This has 2 main impacts: transporting oxygen to the deep oceans, and regulating Earth's climate.

For example, the Gulf Stream, which occurs in the North Atlantic, is a warm surface ocean current which transports warm water from the Caribbean northeastwards towards the UK. As the current flows into higher latitudes, it begins to cool, and becomes more saline as evaporation takes place. Both of these factors mean that the water becomes more dense, so it sinks several kilometres to form the North Atlantic Deep Water current. This flows southwards back towards the Equator and continues the thermohaline circulation 'conveyor belt'. The transport of warm water to the UK by the Gulf Stream regulates the climate of the UK, producing mild winters.

I hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
I've studied thermohaline circulation in a couple of my degree modules, so I can give you a few points based on that :smile:

Thermohaline circulation basically refers to large-scale circulation of ocean currents around the globe, driven by variations in the salinity and temperature of the water, which affect its density. Water which is cold has a higher density, and water which is more saline also has a higher density, so both of these will sink.

Thermohaline circulation involves several large-scale ocean currents, which are linked together and transfer water masses between the oceans. This has 2 main impacts: transporting oxygen to the deep oceans, and regulating Earth's climate.

For example, the Gulf Stream, which occurs in the North Atlantic, is a warm surface ocean current which transports warm water from the Caribbean northeastwards towards the UK. As the current flows into higher latitudes, it begins to cool, and becomes more saline as evaporation takes place. Both of these factors mean that the water becomes more dense, so it sinks several kilometres to form the North Atlantic Deep Water current. This flows southwards back towards the Equator and continues the thermohaline circulation 'conveyor belt'. The transport of warm water to the UK by the Gulf Stream regulates the climate of the UK, producing mild winters.

I hope that helps :smile:

Omg thanks you it helped a lot.

What are you studying?
Omg thanks you it helped a lot.

What are you studying?

I'm studying BSc Geoscience, which looks mostly at geology, geophysics and geochemistry, but also covers aspects of Earth such as the atmosphere, oceans etc :smile:
I'm studying BSc Geoscience, which looks mostly at geology, geophysics and geochemistry, but also covers aspects of Earth such as the atmosphere, oceans etc :smile:

That’s so cool!, the very best of luck!!!
That’s so cool!, the very best of luck!!!

Thank you, good luck with your course(s) too :h:
For example, the Gulf Stream, which occurs in the North Atlantic, is a warm surface ocean current which transports warm water from the Caribbean northeastwards towards the UK.

Minor little thing - Gulf Stream is actually mainly wind-driven, you mean the North Atlantic Current :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
Minor little thing - Gulf Stream is actually wind-driven, you mean the North Atlantic Current :smile:

Ah, thank you :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest