The Student Room Group

Mobile Border Force 2018

Scroll to see replies

I’m still not quite sure if everyone who “passed” the external interview got the wait until 9th Feb or were some given a job offer and those of us who got the e mail are the Championship to their premiumship!? That is we are reserves
Its been 8 days since my interview (glasgow for BF and not mobile- but i did say i would do that if offered) and i havent had anything back yet.

Last interviews are 2nd Feb for the role i went for so expecting some thing after that.

Glad others have heard sooner but no news is good news.....so they say!
Original post by Fatblokexl
Its been 8 days since my interview (glasgow for BF and not mobile- but i did say i would do that if offered) and i havent had anything back yet.

Last interviews are 2nd Feb for the role i went for so expecting some thing after that.

Glad others have heard sooner but no news is good news.....so they say!

Hadn’t realised there were some fixed roles as well. Thought recent recruiting was just for mobile. Good luck with yours as well
Did anyone manage to get anticipated start dates during the interview? I asked and was told it would very much depend on how the external campaign went (I'm internal). You'd think they wouldn't be able to offer external posts until they were 100% sure on who was joining from the internal campaign. Better settle down at work for the long haul I suppose.......
Reply 84
Original post by MurphysLaw2471
Did anyone manage to get anticipated start dates during the interview? I asked and was told it would very much depend on how the external campaign went (I'm internal). You'd think they wouldn't be able to offer external posts until they were 100% sure on who was joining from the internal campaign. Better settle down at work for the long haul I suppose.......

I was told start date would be down to how long our SCs take, notice periods and availability of courses. They also said they wouldn’t be taking on in groups per location and will be taking people when they can start. So it’ll be a staggered recruitment rather than a Big Bang.
(edited 6 years ago)
That’s good to know. I forgot to ask that although as perhaps one of the oldest applicants that might not be a surprise!
Original post by Fac51
I was told start date would be down to how long our SCs take, notice periods and availability of courses. They also said they wouldn’t be taking on in groups per location and will be taking people when they can start. So it’ll be a staggered recruitment rather than a Big Bang.

Yeah, Baseline security check is into its 4th week tomorrow and still no request for referees details or CRB/AccessNI checks. I'm assuming that security is actually at SC level though might be CTC.....anybody clarify? Again, no invite to complete SC check details online, so not sure what order this is going in, lol. Maybe as I'm internal (HMRC), the current referees and AccessNI are still valid.......or maybe I'm just being over optimistic and it's gonna be a long process 😂😂😂

Are all the courses at a central location, anybody know?
I’m on tge same recruitment campaign as you! I had the choice between Edinburgh and Glasgow for my interview but picked Edinburgh because it’s riund the corner from my office (I’m internal through Hmrc) Had my interview on the 16th of January and was told it would be the end of February before I heard back 🙄
Original post by Deedee90
I’m on tge same recruitment campaign as you! I had the choice between Edinburgh and Glasgow for my interview but picked Edinburgh because it’s riund the corner from my office (I’m internal through Hmrc) Had my interview on the 16th of January and was told it would be the end of February before I heard back 🙄

The campaign, while national, seems to be dealt with regionally. As FAC51 says, each location doing their own thing and on a as needed/ available basis. My interview was before Xmas and I had my provisional offer nearly 3 weeks ago, but I only know of one other who's applied for Belfast. Looks like HMRC will have to run a campaign to replace the staff jumping ship,to Border Force 😂
The campaign, while national, seems to be dealt with regionally. As FAC51 says, each location doing their own thing and on a as needed/ available basis. My interview was before Xmas and I had my provisional offer nearly 3 weeks ago, but I only know of one other who's applied for Belfast. Looks like HMRC will have to run a campaign to replace the staff jumping ship,to Border Force 😂

Yep I know of 3 others in my office who have interviews also 🙈 shame Hmrc don’t have as many people trying to jump to them 😜
Yep I know of 3 others in my office who have interviews also 🙈 shame Hmrc don’t have as many people trying to jump to them 😜

Boring jobs in HMRC with little prospect of moving. Ive been in the same role for 7 years. Bored out of my skull!
Getting a BF role will mean a big commute regardless of location for me but i see the escape from my office a far bigger draw.
Boring jobs in HMRC with little prospect of moving. Ive been in the same role for 7 years. Bored out of my skull!
Getting a BF role will mean a big commute regardless of location for me but i see the escape from my office a far bigger draw.

I hear that! I've got through to AC for TSP 2018 but honestly don't think I can stick a career behind a desk. Nice pay packet at the end of training, but money isn't everything. I'm under no illusions, Border Force is going to face many challenges in the next few years and we will be the blunt end of the spear.....but at least I can get my knees out from under a desk again.....👍

I’m only a year and a half in Hmrc but it’s not the job for me. Stuck behind a desk not doing much, only chance of promotion is if you suck up to management and become a robot and all the rest!

If I get the job and first choice location it’s better commute for me just the shifts that are bad. Having mon-fri fully flex is going to be hard to give up!
I’m only a year and a half in Hmrc but it’s not the job for me. Stuck behind a desk not doing much, only chance of promotion is if you suck up to management and become a robot and all the rest!

If I get the job and first choice location it’s better commute for me just the shifts that are bad. Having mon-fri fully flex is going to be hard to give up!

I'm the same, not the job I thought it would be, lol. Flexi is nice but isn't enough to keep me there. I'm hoping the AHW is at the higher end and we aren't too long in getting it.
I have applied externally so I assume I have to wait to see if existing CS applications are successful first? I too am looking forward to a job with variety and not desk bound. I am worried about the morale issues at BF ( apparently only about 5 of 70 still at Heathrow 6 months after starting!) but think might be good time to join as only way us up” !
I'm the same, not the job I thought it would be, lol. Flexi is nice but isn't enough to keep me there. I'm hoping the AHW is at the higher end and we aren't too long in getting it.

Yep exact same with me!

I was told we would get it as soon as we go into our teams and start the shifts so hopefully that materialises! I have trust issues with anything anyone says in the cs 🙈
The whole campaign seems a bit disjointed tbh. The internal trawl said they would recruit from CS first before going external but there seems to have been internal actually interviewed after external....hopefully in different locations just. I had my provisional offer 3 weeks ago for Belfast but have heard nothing back since...yet there were internal interviews still happening 2 weeks ago for other locations.

Did anyone manage to confirm it is actually SC clearance required and not just Baseline or CTC? I jus assumed SC but not too sure why we would need regular access to Secret materiel, so maybe not?
The whole campaign seems a bit disjointed tbh. The internal trawl said they would recruit from CS first before going external but there seems to have been internal actually interviewed after external....hopefully in different locations just. I had my provisional offer 3 weeks ago for Belfast but have heard nothing back since...yet there were internal interviews still happening 2 weeks ago for other locations.

Did anyone manage to confirm it is actually SC clearance required and not just Baseline. CTC? I jus assumed SC but not too sure why we would need regular access to Secret materiel, so maybe not?

Yeah I don’t know what’s going on with it! I am an avid searcher of cs jobs and only seen the one campaign which ended in October hence why I am now here.. they emailed in November saying I have an interview but they aren’t conducting them until January as it was such a big recruitment campaign!

I didn’t even think about the security clearance part to be fair.. i have never had any dealings with the police so should hopefully be fine 😳😂
Not sure if this thread is dead or not, but was told on Friday I have been offered a job subject to pre-employment checks. Anyone else heard anything for London?
Original post by OCR1991
Not sure if this thread is dead or not, but was told on Friday I have been offered a job subject to pre-employment checks. Anyone else heard anything for London?

Thread is very much alive, you're now in the same boat as me (but I'm NI), I was offered 3 weeks ago, heard nothin else since.

Quick Reply