The Student Room Group

It's not hard to get offers from Universities

Saw an AMA bragging about getting 5/5 offers from RG universities, according to stats on UCAS (published 3 days ago)/Wikipedia, it really is not that hard to get an offer from a top university.

Half of the Russell Group give out offers to more than 75% of their applicants.

With the relaxation of student numbers since 2012, universities are competing for students rather than applicants competing for places at universities. For example at UCL, intake has increased from 4,900 (2013) to 6,140 (2017) - that's a 25% increase in intake over 5 years.

I hope that applicants are aware of this and become more ambitious with their university choices.

Scroll to see replies

You do realise that people that are predicted BBB aren't applying to these universities... While the acceptance rate is high those who attain AAA+ isn't.
This is a slight oversimplification, as you don't know the relative quality of students applying.

Does Cardiff have a 79% offer rate, which is lower than Warwick and Nottingham, because Cardiff is more selective? Or could it be that Warwick and Notts have more viable applicants and this is reflected in their offer rate? And do Warwick and Notts have more high-quality students who end up not taking their places, instead end up at the Golden Triangle.

So for an individual applicant, say with ABB predictions, it would be rather poor advice to tell them to "aim higher". They might be the 10-25% who do not get an offer and, should they receive an offer, they might not meet its terms on Results Day. For an applicant with higher predictions, it is probably half-decent advice, but still its validity cannot be overstated.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
it's not hard because students are advised not to apply for unis with higher entry requirements than their predicted grades. When i applied this year, a lot of my friends were not allowed to send off their ucas applications as they had unis where the entry requirements were too high for them.
Reply 4
...if you meet the entry requirements.
Most people applying to a university will have the required predicted/ grades. I wouldn't go and apply to somewhere that asks for AAA if I'm only predicted ACC.

You would need to know the percentages of students accepted onto a course that had less than the entry 'requirements'.
Reply 6
ah yes.... because a high offer rate means the uni is nothing to brag about.... of course! what healthy logic u have there, how dare anyone feel proud for getting offers from RGs now!
Reply 7
Original post by Arima
ah yes.... because a high offer rate means the uni is nothing to brag about.... of course! what healthy logic u have there, how dare anyone feel proud for getting offers from RGs now!

thank you. i'm sick of people on TSR acting like getting 5/5 offers from RG universities is not an achievement.

Original post by Anagogic
x

Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
x

Original post by Appazap
x

Original post by PerhapsPhysio
x

why can't all you sane logical people be in my thread instead of the trolls
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Oaken12
thank you. i'm sick of people on TSR acting like getting 5/5 offers from RG universities is not an achievement.

It's not really though. Thousands of kids (probably ~50-100k people) get lots of RG/top non-RG offers every year.
Reply 9
Original post by Princepieman
It's not really though. Thousands of kids (probably ~50-100k people) get lots of RG/top non-RG offers every year.

how dare anyone feel proud for getting offers from RGs now!

did you get 5/5 offers if it's so common??
Original post by Oaken12
thank you. i'm sick of people on TSR acting like getting 5/5 offers from RG universities is not an achievement

Obviously getting offers is an achievement, however this thread is in response to that stupid AMA page. Like has been said previously a lot of people get 5/5 offers, its really not hard if your PS is up to scratch and your predicted grades are on par. I was obviously happy when i got my offers but i am not going to make an AMA about it because i haven't even got into the unis yet.
Original post by Oaken12
why can't all you sane logical people be in my thread instead of the trolls

I was in your thread and I think my post (in which I said you were accepted by 5 easy unis) inspired OP to make this thread.

I simply disagree with OP's argument, rather than supporting your claim to fame.
Original post by Oaken12
how dare anyone feel proud for getting offers from RGs now!

did you get 5/5 offers if it's so common??

close enough 4/5 but Oxbridge rej.
Reply 13
Original post by Appazap
Obviously getting offers is an achievement, however this thread is in response to that stupid AMA page. Like has been said previously a lot of people get 5/5 offers, its really not hard if your PS is up to scratch and your predicted grades are on par. I was obviously happy when i got my offers but i am not going to make an AMA about it because i haven't even got into the unis yet.

actually not true, i think the above table shows that not everyone gets 5/5 offers.

Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
I was in your thread and I think my post (in which I said you were accepted by 5 easy unis) inspired OP to make this thread.

I simply disagree with OP's argument, rather than supporting your claim to fame.

please tell me how glasgow, birmingham, leeds, newcastle and liverpool are easy universities.

Original post by Princepieman
close enough 4/5 but Oxbridge rej.

enough said.

yeh getting an offer from oxbridge is sooo easy.
Reply 14
fair enough, what im trying to get at is that even meeting the entry requirements won't guarantee you with an offer.
Original post by Oaken12
enough said.

Like you're better for getting into 5 mediocre-to-bottom RGs than someone who's got into all of theirs bar Oxbridge which takes a higher calibre of student just to apply to?

This attitude is why people are so annoyed at you. Get off your non-existent high horse.
Original post by Oaken12
actually not true, i think the above table shows that not everyone gets 5/5 offers.

please tell me how glasgow, birmingham, leeds, newcastle and liverpool are easy universities.

enough said.

yeh getting an offer from oxbridge is sooo easy.

Look if getting 5/5 offers is the bane of your existence, that's you. Obviously a lot of people on tsr are not going to see it as a really good achievement because a lot of people here have got 5/5 offers and have gone to their first choice uni or got 5/5 offers and failed to get into uni on results day. In the grand scheme of things, although getting offers makes you a step closer to going to uni, you're not actually at the uni. :sigh:
Original post by C_Richards99

Saw an AMA bragging about getting 5/5 offers from RG universities, according to stats on UCAS (published 3 days ago)/Wikipedia, it really is not that hard to get an offer from a top university.

With the relaxation of student numbers since 2012, universities are competing for students rather than applicants competing for places at universities. For example at UCL, intake has increased from 4,900 (2013) to 6,140 (2017) - that's a 25% increase in intake over 5 years.

I hope that applicants are aware of this and become more ambitious with their university choices.

its easy getting the offer if you have the predicted grades but many offer holder lose their offers as they don't get the grades on results day (mostly for the top rg unis who want 3As/A*AA+)

****ing hell, seems like the only competitive course at lancaster is medicine

If candidates do, the offer rates will go down. The universities would also struggle to cope, and be forced to automatically reject more applicants without much, if any, human review.
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending