The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Music 2016-2018

Hi!
Just wondering if anyone else is doing A level music? There doesn't seem to be a thread for the new course, so I'd thought I'd start one!

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by emma.davey
Hi!
Just wondering if anyone else is doing A level music? There doesn't seem to be a thread for the new course, so I'd thought I'd start one!

Hi!
Yeah I'm doing A level music too :smile: awesome idea to start a thread for it. Which sections did you choose?
hey!
we're doing pop music and music for media, wbu? and what exam board are you on?☺
Reply 4
We’re doing pop music and musicals (as well as the compulsory classical music) because our teacher knows musicals better than music for media (I was thinking of doing that). I’m o AQA board, you? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by E Clack
We’re doing pop music and musicals (as well as the compulsory classical music) because our teacher knows musicals better than music for media (I was thinking of doing that). I’m o AQA board, you? :smile:

I'm studying pop music and musicals too! and I'm on the AQA board :smile:
How are you guys finding it? My teacher just keeps saying how we don't have enough resources, and seems to be a bit in the dark about it all:s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by emma.davey
How are you guys finding it? My teacher just keeps saying how we don't have enough resources, and seems to be a bit in the dark about it all:s-smilie:

I'm studying AQA A level music too and I'm having a similar sort of problems. If anyone has an resources for set works (compulsory) please could you send them for revision. for example set works like bach violin concerto in A minor
Le nozze di figaro- Mozart
I'm doing music for media and art music since 1910

Also anyone here planning to go to a music conservatoire after sixth form??

Thanks
Hey! I’m doing Music for Theatre and Contemporary traditional, and not going to a conservatoire but looking to study music at uni after Sixth.
Reply 9
Original post by Jessjadeanne
Hey! I’m doing Music for Theatre and Contemporary traditional, and not going to a conservatoire but looking to study music at uni after Sixth.

Ahh rightt that's nice, what universities are you thinking of going to
Reply 10
Hi all!

Good to know that I'm not the only one doing this board! I agree that there has obviously been a problem what with the very limited resources we have been given (not to mention the quality of the textbooks!).

I am doing Art Music since 1910 and Music for Media as the optional Areas of Study. I would really appreciate it if anyone had some advice on essay writing/technique for the 30-marker in Section C

How is everyone feeling/ preparing for the exam?
Original post by HKP24
Ahh rightt that's nice, what universities are you thinking of going to

I’ve formed Durham and my insurance is Royal Holloway!
Reply 12
Original post by Jessjadeanne
I’ve formed Durham and my insurance is Royal Holloway!

That's nice!
Good luck for it!
I'm doing pop music and music for media too. The essays are a nightmare, I can't actually remember enough scenes to deal with all the potential questions they might ask (music for media.) Any tips?
I'm doing the same! I'm conflicted as to whether I should do the art music section c or music for media, I'm worried that they may ask about specifically chamber music if I do the art music question as I've only studied one piece compared to 3 orchestral ones
So is anyone else at a complete loss with AQA music? I'm doing Pop and Jazz for Section A, Baroque and Romantic Piano for Section B, and just Pop for Section C. Haven't got a clue what I'm doing...
It's really hard to have any idea what they are going to ask on the essay. I think its unrealistic to expect people to know enough film scenes (music for media) to be able to write a 30 mark essay with no resources. How are you supposed to write a good quality essay which could have very few applications to the film scenes I have studied/can remember? Trying to remember approx 15-20+ film scenes and the music is not really possible.
Hey guys! I'm doing this exam too (it's so stressful and the resources are not great?!) I am doing Baroque and Piano for Section B and Art Music and Musical theatre.
Any last minute revision tips or what might come up??
Original post by danosaur_maisy
Hey guys! I'm doing this exam too (it's so stressful and the resources are not great?!) I am doing Baroque and Piano for Section B and Art Music and Musical theatre.
Any last minute revision tips or what might come up??

I have a feeling Vivaldi is going to come up on this paper. For anyone doing Marriage of Figaro, it could be either the last Aria or the overture as they haven't come up on spec papers. As to last minute revision, I'm trying to learn as many film scenes as possible to give me the best opportunity to write a decent essay for Music for media. After the AS last year I'm expecting a nasty question. What kind of question asks you how film music works as a stand alone without the scene. I thought the whole point of the spec was that you learnt how the music adds to the scene!
Any tips on writing 10 markers? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending