How did YOU buy YOUR car? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
asking single people from UK and USA who bought their car and without their parents

1. How did you pay it? Loan, payment plan, cash?

2. Was it a dealership, or an independent seller (saw the car on the road, gumtree)?

3. Did you have to sign anything?

4. How long was the process?

5. Were you asked anything by the salesperson, dealer, seller about your driver's license, insurance?

6. Were there eligibility requirements for you?

7. Were you able to get a road test and an inspection of the car?

And anything else. I'm not sure what to ask because I'm not sure what to expect. Help.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know you're asking for own experiences of buying a car but I was semi involved with my dad buying his so I can answer some questions.

He paid through bank transfer I believe. It was a dealership. He had to sign documents saying the car was registered to him and he was okay to drive etc. It took about 1-2 weeks between spotting the car and collecting it (he had to travel a couple hours to the dealership). He had to show his license and I think insurance on his current car to show he was legally allowed to drive and was competent at driving. I think requirements were just valid license but was probably more. Yes he test drove the car and could check for any damage.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Anyone else who's bought their own car?
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have brought all of my cars outright in cash. From car dealers.
Texxers
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why are YOU asking that question with RANDOM capital LETTERS?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Anyone else who's bought their own car?
Subtle way of disregarding my answer, ha. I thought it would still be useful because I told you things about the process which are still relevant, doesn't matter if it wasn't my own experience.
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Tagging AngryJellyfish to get this moved over to Cars and motoring
Sochaux
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Cash via Bank Transfer.

2. Was it a dealership, or an independent seller (saw the car on the road, gumtree)?

Independent Dealer advert on Gumtree.

Just the invoice/receipt.

About an hour.

5. Were you asked anything by the salesperson, dealer, seller about your driver's license, insurance?

No.

No.

Yes.
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
36 months PCP (it's usually 48 on the particular deal the broker was offering, but in 3 years I'd quite like a new car - or by then I'll probably make the decision to keep it, seeing as how I'm one month into the first 12 and I've already done 1300 miles, on average the limit is 670 per month)

Broker/Dealership. Knew about them from last year when I was looking for a car in the run-up to my first test. Glad I failed, else I'd have a heap of poop mitsubishi mirage right now and be stuck with it for still another 2-3 years.

Agreement with broker, and then with the finance

4 weeks from ordering a car to getting it, mostly because my first option was out of stock, the second one was then recalled and since my third option was a more expensive car, I had to re-do another finance agreement and paperwork for Marmalade.

No actually - the dealership requested insurance before they taxed it, but they only actually knew about my license because I used it as proof of address.

18-24yo and subject to credit check. The credit they ask for is weak, I still hadn't recovered properly from dumb decisions when I was 18 and places gave me obscene amounts of credit, but as long as my income and outgoings are fine, they're happy.

Did a test drive with a partnered dealership, had my Dad and Cousin inspect it as I wasn't sure what I was looking for or if I was getting the best deal, considering it's put me more than 15k in debt.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (438)
67.49%
No (211)
32.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed